• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nev

Is Barret Jackman the worst Calder Trophy winner ever?

Rate this topic

This popped into my head when I saw a comment in the recent St Louis GDT bemoaning his robbing Zetterberg (and Nash) of the Calder.

Now of course, the further you go back, the less we all know about the players, but the names from 1970 onwards are familiar to most and in that period I can't find a Calder winner who has done less with his career than Jackman (and had such an undeserving winning season). An honourable mention goes to Sergei Samsonov, but at least he was a consistent 20 goal scorer at a time when scoring 20 goals was an achievement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calder_Memorial_Trophy

Discuss.

that dude looks like an alien i've never liked him and every time i see him play against the wings and zetterberg i just always think how big of a mistake that was giving jackman the calder. IMO Jackman hasn't done s*it and his value has been falling dramatically every season for a calder winner i just don't think he's THAT good.

I agree, but I'll play devil's advocate:

1127159158_9494.jpg

EDIT: Also, looking back, Brit Selby seems like a pretty weak choice.

1965-66 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 61 14 13 27 26

NHL Totals 347 55 62 117 171

Must not have been any rookies in the league that year.

Edited by mjlegend

Holy s***.... Sergei Makarov won it in 89-90 when he was 31 and people bitched about Jimmy possibly getting it last year at 25 laugh.gif

And yes Jackman is horrible. I tend to agree with this.

Honorable mention would have to be what mjlegend posted with Raycroft. He has been quite useless.

I actually got into an argument a few years back with a blues fan about how that calder was totally deserved as Jackman was better at that time.

Maybe, Maybe not, but hindsight being what it is, it's a joke.

Holy s***.... Sergei Makarov won it in 89-90 when he was 31 and people bitched about Jimmy possibly getting it last year at 25 laugh.gif

Pretty sure they changed some kind of criteria after that season. Maybe that you couldn't have played more than a couple of professional seasons or something, I don't know...

Swell. Now my blood pressure's back up. He is my least favorite player, ever. He is hockey's black hole, except after the whistle when he really comes/knee-jerks alive. He talks like Dr. Strangelove and arm-wise, he's about as spastic and uncontrolled. He.has.accomplished.s***.

He deserved that trophy as much as I would have, and I've been on skates (mostly double-runners) about five times in my life.

:angry::shout::ranting:

No. It's laughable to suggest that Jackman was a bad Calder winner. He was extremely impressive in his first year in the league. I remember watching him play against the Canucks and thinking I was watching a future Norris candidate. As a matter of fact, that same year there were two teams I looked forward to playing more than any other; the Wings and Blues, and that was because of the battles that Bertuzzi had with Chelios and Jackman.

Jackman was an outstanding Norris pick. He just failed to develop.

No. It's laughable to suggest that Jackman was a bad Calder winner. He was extremely impressive in his first year in the league. I remember watching him play against the Canucks and thinking I was watching a future Norris candidate. As a matter of fact, that same year there were two teams I looked forward to playing more than any other; the Wings and Blues, and that was because of the battles that Bertuzzi had with Chelios and Jackman.

Jackman was an outstanding Norris pick. He just failed to develop.

I think maybe the purpose of this thread was to suggest that, in the grand scheme of all Calder winners in the history of the award, he has turned out to be the worst. In which case I would agree. Far from a laughable thing. I don't think people are saying his ACTUAL rookie season was bad. But, to look at the other Calder winners, his career has come up short to live up to that.

Jackman wasn't even the best rookie defenseman that season; Bouwmeester was.

Both played about 20 minutes on their team on the first pair of a fairly thin defense corps; Jackman rode shotgun with Al MacInnis while Bouwmeester spent time largely with Ozolinsh or Majesky.

Given the injuries to Ozolinsh and Pronger, Jackman was basically the #2 in St. Louis and Bouwmeester the #1 in Florida.

Edited by eva unit zero

Steve mason ain't looking too hot the years after his Calder season.

Mason gets a pass for 2 reasons. 1 - he was actually very good his rookie season. 2 - yes he's sucked since then, but its only two seasons.

No. It's laughable to suggest that Jackman was a bad Calder winner. He was extremely impressive in his first year in the league. I remember watching him play against the Canucks and thinking I was watching a future Norris candidate. As a matter of fact, that same year there were two teams I looked forward to playing more than any other; the Wings and Blues, and that was because of the battles that Bertuzzi had with Chelios and Jackman

HankthaTank answered this for me, but I do also believe it was probably the weakest Calder winning season in the modern era. For comparison, Nick Lidstrom put up 60 points and was +36 in '92 and came SECOND!

Mason gets a pass for 2 reasons. 1 - he was actually very good his rookie season. 2 - yes he's sucked since then, but its only two seasons.

Mason was also seriously overhped in his rookie season. He was not even the best rookie goaltender in his rookie year; Pekka Rinne was. His having a stellar month and a half after Leclaire went down won him the Calder.

Mason was also seriously overhped in his rookie season. He was not even the best rookie goaltender in his rookie year; Pekka Rinne was. His having a stellar month and a half after Leclaire went down won him the Calder.

This isn't true.

Mason was lights out, had a ton of shutouts.

You just like second guessing every decision made.

Z probably should have won that year, but Jackman played very, very good hockey. I thought watching him that he was going to be the next Pronger, he hasn't really panned out but he still played great that year.

I would love to have him on Detroit instead of Salei