• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redwingcapt

The Wings flipped the "switch"

Rate this topic

Even though the Red Wings lost last night in the shootout, i think that the Wings flipped the switch after Zetterberg scored the first goal. I was in attendance last night verse the Pens, and after they scored their forth goal to make it seemingly a blow out, the place went quiet, you could only hear the packs of Pens fans cheers in the whole place. I think the Wings fans had too much pride to boo their team in front of the Pens... anyways, after the Pens went up 4-0 and Z scored the first goal, the place didnt get too loud, and the cheers that were made were more sarcastic cheers, ie saying, "a little too late boys". And i think the team sensed that, and they went into the locker room and something happened. When they came out, they flew and didnt let the big hits from the opposition stop them, they skated through the hits, they moved the puck beautifully, and got three goals to tie the game, against a weak, but VERY confident looking Penguins team. Even though Jimmy looked weak, two of the four were NOT his fault in my eye... I think this is it, what we saw at the end of the game is what we are going to see up till and through the playoffs for the most part. The wings started playing playoff hockey last night, when Cleary and Modano scored back to back in two minutes, the Joe got louder than it got all season long! I would have guessed it was a playoff game if the fire had came out of the big screen. This is it boys, the run for the Cup began last night, we play Vancover once, Nashvile once, and Chicago THREE times in our last 9 games. Western Conference rivals in more than half of our remaining games, 6 of 9 are at home. the RUN begins HERE! GO WINGS :siren: :siren:

I just wanna know if anybody else feels the same?

The Wings often "flip the switch" in a game. Although they played well the entire third rather than just for 5 minutes or so, the question is: Is the switch going to stay in the "ON" position or were they just temporarily embarrassed last night? Could go either way.

I hope you're right, but a part of me wants to reserve my judgement for the next few games to see how we do against the Nucks, Preds and Hawks. Those are the teams we'll be facing in the post season, so hopefully they'll show up to those games the way they did in the third period last night.

agreed 100%. the only thing im worried about is if theyll be able to do that kind of stuff against a healthy/good team. no crosby, malkin, orpik, cooke, or fluery last night.

it was great to see that happen though. after modanos goal, i dont think ive ever heard that place so loud in my life, and ive been to a s***ton of games. maybe the only comparable time was franzens 5 goal freak show last year.

The Wings often "flip the switch" in a game. Although they played well the entire third rather than just for 5 minutes or so, the question is: Is the switch going to stay in the "ON" position or were they just temporarily embarrassed last night? Could go either way.

This.....its unclear whether they just felt like playing for a period or from here on out.

This is exactly how I feel. We won't know if the "switch" is on until we see how they come out tomorrow. If they play their hearts out tomorrow and the next night then maybe it is on. But they might come out in exactly the same way.

We always look for "the turning point". Hopefully this was it and being in attendance for it, I can't remember the last time the Joe rocked like that. It was very impressive and loved that Modano netted the GTG. Flips seems to be getting it in gear at the perfect time and hopefully this resting period for Pav, Mule, and Huds benefits for the long haul. I can't say I feel the same as the OP but last night's game certainly was important.

agreed 100%. the only thing im worried about is if theyll be able to do that kind of stuff against a healthy/good team. no crosby, malkin, orpik, cooke, or fluery last night.

I disagree, we had no Datsyuk our best player, Franzen our leading score and Hudler. Fleury is irrelevant because their backup played amazing and Howard was only at fault for one goal, the others we didn't have his back. It was fair lineup wise.

OP, fully agree, I think moving forward we'll see a team knowing the playoffs are around the corner and I think we're in for a long playoff run.

Sorry, but, no they didn't. As much as I want to believe that the wings have officially "flipped the switch" I just don't believe it. The Wings might have put on a better effort, but the Pens I'm sure also dropped their level of play.

Edited by Z and D for the C

I was at the game too. The third period was louder, more exciting, as pressure and fan supported as any game in recent memory. It was incredible (and it was my birthday!)

The goal at the end of the second was huge. They came out in the third like an entirely new, driven team and I give them huge credit for the work they did to comeback. It reminded me just how good they can be. Thanks boys!

Unfortunately, we've seen last night's game before. The Wings being uninterested in the first 40 minutes is nothing new for this season. However, only playing hockey in the 3rd period just isn't going to cut it come playoff time, where teams desperate to win a cup will be pulling out all the stops.

The Wings are professionals, and I think they'll do well in the playoffs if their enthusiasm level matches their talent level.

Unfortunately, we've seen last night's game before. The Wings being uninterested in the first 40 minutes is nothing new for this season. However, only playing hockey in the 3rd period just isn't going to cut it come playoff time, where teams desperate to win a cup will be pulling out all the stops.

The Wings are professionals, and I think they'll do well in the playoffs if their enthusiasm level matches their talent level.

Not to mention the pens played the night before. This is the problem the wings are having this year is carrying over their play into the next game.

definitely an entertaining game. I thought that Helm deserved to be one of the 3 stars even though he didn’t get on the score sheet. I mean jesus, they gave the number one star to Neal and he was minus 1 with zero points during the real game. Helm imposed his will on the game and was everywhere. Don’t get me wrong, I think the 3 stars are a cool idea, but if a defenseman breaks up odd-man rushes and makes 10-12 30 foot breakout passes tape to tape to clear the zone, why shouldn’t he a get a star as opposed to some winger w/ two assists. alright rant over.

I hope you're right, but a part of me wants to reserve my judgement for the next few games to see how we do against the Nucks, Preds and Hawks. Those are the teams we'll be facing in the post season, so hopefully they'll show up to those games the way they did in the third period last night.

yes i hope those next games do put them in a playoff mindset. i know every year we hear they dont care about seeding as much, just they want to get healthy and be ready.. but if they can beat Vancouver wednesday, i think theyll go after them.

it was great to see that happen though. after modanos goal, i dont think ive ever heard that place so loud in my life, and ive been to a s***ton of games. maybe the only comparable time was franzens 5 goal freak show last year.

Yes but we werent a healthy team either. we were running 11 forwards, minus dats, huds and, the mule. I just hope they keep this focus up. when they struggle, they look disoriented and un focused/prepared.

We always look for "the turning point". Hopefully this was it and being in attendance for it, I can't remember the last time the Joe rocked like that. It was very impressive and loved that Modano netted the GTG. Flips seems to be getting it in gear at the perfect time and hopefully this resting period for Pav, Mule, and Huds benefits for the long haul. I can't say I feel the same as the OP but last night's game certainly was important.

I just hope this is it, We are close to the playoffs, and plus it was a playoff time atmosphere... in 08 we took off in late march and the end of april, playing against the western and division rivals... i am just trying to see if this is going to happen again.

I think we did an outstanding job last night! We did start strong, we just let the game get away from us in a hurry. I would have liked to be a fly on the wall during the 2nd intermission. As far as a switch, I don't think it's on or off... I'd like to think of it more as a dial that is a few notches louder than before but the lack of a full roster may make the stretch run before the playoffs a bit of a challenge, that and the lack of getting on a roll with a full roster has me concerned for the first round. If we can get out of the first we have a great chance at a cup.

I don't think there is a switch, it's just a matter of playing better at home. Whether that be looser, tighter, trap, whatever. Babcock and co. have to figure it out, and figure it out soon.

The difference between Vancouver and Detroit [this year]? Vancouver is 25-8-5 at home. Detroit is 19-11-5.

This is the problem I find when 16 teams make the playoffs, teams like ours with big leads, really have no huge motivation to play the last couple months of the season. All the league's attention right now is on the bottom two playoff spots, seeing which .500 teams make the playoffs, only to most likely get beat out in the first round anyway.

Right now we're just killing time for the playoffs.

People may think they have "flipped the switch" but until the electrical issues get resolved, they will still be in the dark.

Terrible positioning, giveaways, bad passes, lack of effort, and inconsistent goaltending are the issues.

Once those are fixed, the "light bulb" will not shine bright

Edited by Rivalred