• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Abdelkader

Rate this topic

The amount players with points in the series is small, so I fail to see how that measurement is relevant. Other than the OT penalty, how have his penalties been 'game changing'? Z took a very similar high-stick penalty in game 2 that went un-complained about here. In addition, Abby has the ability to draw a lot of penalties. To me the question is not to scratch Abby for Modano, but whether to scratch Miller, Huds (I would keep), Eaves, or Abby. You can argue that Abby hasn't played well, but what has Miller done that is so much better?

IMO Abby is much better on the wing, so he should be placed there again. He can play a great defense center role (see Yotes series verse Doan), but his play is more effective on the wing (hitting, roaming more, etc).

Also, Helm doesn't belong on the top two lines. While he creates a lot of energy, his hands and scoring aren't there yet. Did you see his breakaway the other day? His offense isn't top line material, especially after you consider who would have to be moved down.

those are his stats for all this years playoff games. Helm can dump the puck and retrieve it himself how is that not helpful on the top two lines plus he actually back checks. The Sharks are entering the wings zone with ease. The Sharks carry it in and its a one on one and by the time the other four wings catch up to the play there are four more sharks that want the puck more.

I say scratch either miller or eaves and put drapes in aswell. The wings are 0-2 without draper in the lineup... just saying

Your post was comparing Abby to Dats, and I pointed out that Dats has been playing better than the rest of the team, and is therefore a ridiculous comparison.

That was the comparison made in the original post I quoted. Im not the one who came up with it.

And for someone "sucking" Franzen was the only one that generated any semblance of a scoring chance on that line today.

Franzen's "scoring chance" where he shot the puck into Niemi's logo when the puck suddenly "popped free onto his stick" as it was called?

Yeah, it popped free right from Jiri Hudler passing it to him with his stick between the Shark defender's legs. But yeah, Franzen was the one generating the offensive play.

That was the comparison made in the original post I quoted. Im not the one who came up with it.

I never said Abby was as good as Dastyuk, that would obviously be stupid. I was using an over the top example of how people here are knee-jerking and scapegoating. Abby had a couple bad calls in the last couple games so he should be cut from the team? Thats just retarded. Thats what I was commenting on.

I don't think Abs is anywhere near the sole reason the Wings have looked so terrible and are down 2-0, but I DO think he's peaked as a player and we have likely seen exactly what he's always going to be - a 3rd/4th line player who might contribute 30 points or so and can sometimes kill penalties.

There are about 300 players in the league who can fit this role.

I don't think Abs is anywhere near the sole reason the Wings have looked so terrible and are down 2-0, but I DO think he's peaked as a player and we have likely seen exactly what he's always going to be - a 3rd/4th line player who might contribute 30 points or so and can sometimes kill penalties.

There are about 300 players in the league who can fit this role.

I think he still has room to grow, but I'd be surprised if he was ever a fixture on the first or second line. I think he could be like Cleary, stepping up to those lines as a 'fill in', but he certainly doesn't have the offense skill to carry a top line. Hopefully he can be a Cleary type who is more physical. Abby just needs some better puck skills to be there.

There are plenty of players who can put up 30 points a season (as you project Abby to do), but not many of them will be as cheap as Abby. Also, he is from Michigan, so I'm sure he wants to stay on the Wings.

My bad- I didn't see you weren't the original poster.

I never said Abby was as good as Dastyuk, that would obviously be stupid. I was using an over the top example of how people here are knee-jerking and scapegoating. Abby had a couple bad calls in the last couple games so he should be cut from the team? Thats just retarded. Thats what I was commenting on.

You needed a :hehe: so the slower people here (like me) can understand the sarcasm. With all the ridiculous claims in this thread, it is hard to separate the sarcasm.

If I'm not mistaken Babsy has said a couple times this season that he likes Abs and what he is doing. Yeah I agree he isn't providing much in the playoffs right now but it seems to me that Dats is the only one that has really contribued anything BIG for this team. Not to hang the rest of the guys out but I haven't been impressed with anything so far in this series by any of our players. I say give him so more time.

Bench Abby for game 3, bring him back in game 4 and he'll have a fire lit under his ass.

I'm with you. I love Gator, he has been one of my favorite players but I think he needs to sit down and calm down. He played well against Phoenix he just needs to settle down and harness his energy instead of losing control with it like he has the past two games.

He's not going to be benched for this game but I can imagine a limited role as Hank will be down on line 2 and it puts Abby on the 3rd. I can't see a reason for a benching aside from him getting a bit too antsy and being careless with the stick which led to some disastrous penalties. His type of energy and play is more needed than we can all remember. These past 2 games, the whole team needs to put behind them and start playing a much better and physical style. We know they can do it.

I'm not huge fan of Abdelkader but he's young and he can just get better. Babs likes him, he was on the ice for the game winning goal... Yes, he takes stupid penalties but he's young he can/will learn. If Babs is patient with Big E he will be patient with Abdelkader. You can't get rid of him because he provides GRIT and TOUGHNESS something Detroit needs more than anything.

Question should be: what Kenny should do with Hudler?! He's creating scoring chances (nothing is going well) but in defensive zone (Boyle's goal) he's BRUTAL. Before starting calling for Modano I would rather try Tatar instead of Hudler...

Detroit is still in good shape, I think that if they can found a way to win game 5, we will win this series.

He's not going to be benched for this game but I can imagine a limited role as Hank will be down on line 2 and it puts Abby on the 3rd. I can't see a reason for a benching aside from him getting a bit too antsy and being careless with the stick which led to some disastrous penalties. His type of energy and play is more needed than we can all remember. These past 2 games, the whole team needs to put behind them and start playing a much better and physical style. We know they can do it.

:thumbup:

Surprised this hasn't been brought back up yet so I'd figure I'd do so after Abdelkader's bonehead penalty late last game.

What he did was obviously reckless and inexcusable and some people have called for him to be scratched next game, which I defintely understand given the frustration in the heat of the moment as well as him having somewhat shaky of a series. And, at least for the final period (assuming the game went into overtime) he deserved to be shackled to the bench.

The Wings need his hustle and aggression though. The good news is that what he did is easily fixable and I have little doubt he probably learned that he screwed up severely and it nearly cost them the season and that he will play with more controlled aggression. I want Abdelkader in and I think he has a bright future, hopefully it is all with the Wings for the foreseeable future.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

It is knee-jerk city... His boneheaded penalties have definitely pissed me off something fierce but I still don't want this kid out. He has that hunger and drive we need for the rest of this series. Call me out on it if ya like, the kid has tons of heart.

It is knee-jerk city... His boneheaded penalties have definitely pissed me off something fierce but I still don't want this kid out. He has that hunger and drive we need for the rest of this series. Call me out on it if ya like, the kid has tons of heart.

:thumbup: experience is the best teacher, we'll see how good of a student he is!

Babs has said one player that most other teams and GM's have brought up this year is Abby. Babs is wild about him and I know most of us on this site are too. Let's not lose sight of the fact the kid is the perfect fit for playoff hockey. Sure, I'd be singing a somewhat different tune were this series to end on that penalty but I also see him for what he brings. A lot of GRIT and determination. Isn't that what we all love around here as well??

Edited by HankthaTank