• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Death Warrant

Derek Boogaard found dead

Rate this topic

I just read that Bo was in the NHL substance abuse program when he died.

Boogaard mixed drugs and alcohol

Obviously he was addicted to oxy which is all too common. Percocet, Oxycontin and Roxicontin are all the same thing in different mixtures or dosages. Percocet is mixed with APAP (asprin), Oxycontin is a sustained release pill and Roxicontin is for immediate release.

All of these have the same probabilty of addiction and side effects.

Hydrocodone like Vicodin and Norco are mixed with asprin and although highly addictive, way safer than Oxycodone in the long run.

Its sad to see people that would never in a million years take heroin be prescribed oxy for an injury and become addicted to it like a junkie on the street. Old ladies with arthritis that are strung out, athletes and actors OD'ing and high schoolers ruining their lives all because of an over prescribed pill.

I believe pharmeceutical companies are making way too much money one way or another from these medications to stop and find something better that treats pain without being a potential recreational drug.

Forgive me for preaching but this drug is worse than cocaine, meth or heroin because normal people that may have been in a car wreck or broke a bone all of a sudden are thrust into dealing with drug addiction, opiate withdrawl and possible death from abuse. This needs to stop as its ruining millions of peoples lives that didnt sign up for those type of issues.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Aaron boogaard Arrested on drug charges

uhoh.

Wondering who got boogaard those oxy's now.

The police record listing Aaron Boogaard's arrest says that the date and time of his alleged crime is May 13, the same day that family members found Derek Boogaard, 28, dead in his Warehouse District apartment.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Sounds like suicide.... :(

Not necessarily. Oxy (and hydro, for that matter) are the types of drugs that you try to keep your options open for. If you know someone who has access, you befriend them. You can never have too many sources, or too many pills in reserve. If you need them, you need them.

Obviously I'm speaking from the point of view of an addict.

If Aaron got arrested before the death (which is where I think you're going- Derek feeling guilty, right?), Derek could have easily posted his bail and straightened things out by hiring a lawyer. Money talks on small-time drug deals.

The article from the Trib said that he was arrested in connection with the investigation of Derek's death, which I thought meant that he had taken the rest of Derek's stash, possibly to preserve his brother's reputation by preventing the news from getting out that his brother had a stash.

The article from the Trib said that he was arrested in connection with the investigation of Derek's death, which I thought meant that he had taken the rest of Derek's stash, possibly to preserve his brother's reputation by preventing the news from getting out that his brother had a stash.

That's a really interesting thought. I agree that it's doubtful it was a suicide, but hadn't thought about the possibility of Derek's brother taking his stash as a preventative measure. Despite what their parents say, I sort of doubt that the stories aren't related in some fashion.

Guest CaliWingsNut

TSN.

Aaron Boogaard said his brother had just been released from chemical dependency treatment the day before and that he knew when he gave him the pill he was not in pain, according to the complaint.

Sigh... It's just sad.

Horribly sad.

The cynic in me wonders why on earth he didn't just flush the pills before calling the police. Or at least give them to someone to hide.

I'm surprised that one pill would do it. I know quite a few people who use oxy and still drink. Sometimes you get sick, but it takes a lot of booze/pills to do that.

I feel terrible for their family.

Forgive me for preaching but this drug is worse than cocaine, meth or heroin because normal people that may have been in a car wreck or broke a bone all of a sudden are thrust into dealing with drug addiction, opiate withdrawl and possible death from abuse. This needs to stop as its ruining millions of peoples lives that didnt sign up for those type of issues.

Couldn't agree more. I can't believe something hasn't been done about it yet, it's so obviously wrong it's SCARY and stems into many issue's I wont get into on this thread...This must be so hard on the family, such an insane situation to be in, I feel so bad.

Interesting piece on Boogaard here. Part one. Parts two and three coming this week.

It's got to be hard on you when you're considered an enforcer as a 16 year old. One of the guys in the video talks about potentially getting in 5 fights a week in the juniors.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/12/04/sports/hockey/boogaard-video.html

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Interesting piece on Boogaard here. Part one. Parts two and three coming this week.

It's got to be hard on you when you're considered an enforcer as a 16 year old. One of the guys in the video talks about potentially getting in 5 fights a week in the juniors.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/12/04/sports/hockey/boogaard-video.html

Thank you for posting this. The video is well done, but it does seem biased. For an uniformed viewer, I don't think the video does enough to establish 'the why' of enforcers.

Agreed.

They touch on the role of enforcers briefly, but do not explore the roots of it's existence, and IMO the fella near the end of video #2 (not sure if he's an MD since his credentials weren't listed) comes across as a jerk when describing the crowds reaction to a fight that took place during a game in Boston.

It'll be interesting to see what parts 2 and 3 hold. Mainly I just think it was interesting to hear about Boogaard's path to the NHL. I don't have a problem with fighting in the NHL or enforcers, but honestly I had forgotten about where it all starts. 16 year olds beating the snot out of each other week after week is a little harder to swallow than grown men doing it for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

20+ games into the regular season, fighting has definitely dropped, continuing the trend we saw in the preseason. I wonder if the low numbers in fighting are a result of guys being more cautious about fighting now, or because a lot of scrappers are currently out, or a combination of both? George Parros has been out for a while. Mike Rupp has been injured for a while. B.J. Crombeen hasn't played a regular season game this season. Matt Carkner has been out all year. Additionally, guys like Steve MacIntyre, Eric Godard, Trevor Gillies, and D.J. King are all in the AHL right now, and the only guy I can see realistically being called for a lengthy stay with their NHL team is MacIntyre.

Sad, but not really a surprise at all.

NEW YORK -- Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain ailment related to Alzheimer's disease that is caused by repeated blows to the head, the New York Times reported.

The disease was more advanced in Boogaard than it was in famed enforcer Bob Probert, who died of heart failure in 2010 at 45.

http://www.freep.com/article/20111206/SPORTS05/112060417/1053/sports05

Part 2 and 3 of the NYT story on Boogaard is up.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/12/04/sports/hockey/boogaard-video.html#chapter/2

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Just throwing in a quote from the article:

A trove of documents, compiled by Boogaard’s father, offer a rare prescription-by-prescription history of the care given to a prominent, physically ailing athlete who struggled with addiction to some of the very drugs the team doctors were providing. The scores of prescriptions came before and after Boogaard’s entry into the league’s substance-abuse program in September 2009 for an addiction to painkillers and sleeping pills.

Among the findings:

¶ In a six-month stretch from October 2008 to April 2009, while playing 51 games, Boogaard received at least 25 prescriptions for the painkillers hydrocodone or oxycodone, a total of 622 pills, from 10 doctors — eight team doctors of the Wild, an oral surgeon in Minneapolis and a doctor for another N.H.L. team.

¶ In the fall of 2010, an official for the Rangers, Boogaard’s new team, was notified of Boogaard’s recurring abuse of narcotic pain pills. Nonetheless, a Rangers team dentist soon wrote the first of five prescriptions for hydrocodone for Boogaard after he sustained an injury.

¶ Another Rangers doctor, although aware that Boogaard also had been addicted to sleeping pills in the past, wrote nearly 10 prescriptions for Ambien during Boogaard’s lone season with the team.

The records reveal the ease with which Boogaard received prescription drugs — often shortly after sending a text message to a team doctor’s cellphone and without a notation made in team medical files. They also show the breadth of the drugs being prescribed, from flu medications and decongestants to antidepressants and anti-anxiety pills.

Most striking, though, are the narcotic painkillers and sleeping pills, which Boogaard had a history of abusing.

He had so access to so many doctors that it certainly would be difficult to keep track of all the meds he was on. Still, all these doctors should recognize a drug-seeking patient when they see one.

RIP Boogaard