• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kingston

Stamkos Re-Signs With Lightning

Rate this topic

I say we go after Stamkos, offer him $7.835M, and give Tampa our 4 first round picks since we'll be at the bottom of the draft pool and be done with it. We have the 7th deepest prospect pool in the league, so it wouldn't hurt us any. Tampa doesn't have the cash to match any offer nor do they have any kind of assets.

Hockey Prospectus ranks Bruins' prospect pool seventh in NHL

I say we go after Stamkos, offer him $7.835M, and give Tampa our 4 first round picks since we'll be at the bottom of the draft pool and be done with it. We have the 7th deepest prospect pool in the league, so it wouldn't hurt us any. Tampa doesn't have the cash to match any offer nor do they have any kind of assets.

Hockey Prospectus ranks Bruins' prospect pool seventh in NHL

Since Boston is my 2nd favorite team, I'd love this to happen!!!

Guest Crymson

i wouldnt mind seeing him for a year here :D

thought he was good with st. louis imagine him with pavel datsyuk

Four first-rounders in exchange for one year of Stamkos? No thanks.

Edited by Crymson

Lots of misinformation here. First, to buy him out, you have to pay 2/3 of his remaining contract because he's over 26. That means you have to pay him over $43 million immediately as part of the buyout. The cap hit varies from year to year during the length of the contract, but then lasts until 2029. Also, a player bought out is not eligible to sign with the team that just bought him out, so it's a completely impossible situation proposed here.

The player is paid 2/3 of his remaining salary, but the average cap hit is only 1/3 of his salary.

Lecavalier's buyout would be almost non-existent capwise for the next five years, and then would jack up to around his current level around 2017-18 to 2019-20, before dropping to about $2.4m for the remaining years until 2028-29.

It could make it tight around 2018 cap-wise, but it certainly works as a short-term solution to clear up space for Stamkos.

It's not about Stevie,it's more about Stamkos's agent.

He suppose to be a pretty tough negotiator.Big E among some other Wings(Nick,Bert,Abby)is under his agency and that says a lot :ranting:

...and Brad Marchand as well :hehe:

Edited by pucktividi

The player is paid 2/3 of his remaining salary, but the average cap hit is only 1/3 of his salary.

Lecavalier's buyout would be almost non-existent capwise for the next five years, and then would jack up to around his current level around 2017-18 to 2019-20, before dropping to about $2.4m for the remaining years until 2028-29.

It could make it tight around 2018 cap-wise, but it certainly works as a short-term solution to clear up space for Stamkos.

This thread is about Stamkos...am I correct on this? Why are you talking about Lecavalier again?

This thread is about Stamkos...am I correct on this? Why are you talking about Lecavalier again?

:blink:

A buyout of Lecavalier would affect Tampa's ability to resign Stamkos. Very low chance of happening, but it would be relevant to the Stamkos situation would it not?

I see that was your 1st post. Welcome!! :beerbuddy:

A buyout of Lecavalier would affect Tampa's ability to resign Stamkos. Very low chance of happening, but it would be relevant to the Stamkos situation would it not?

There isn't going to be a buyout...it hasn't even been a thought in Stevie Y's head. Besides that is a BIG "if" and I don't see it happening.

There isn't going to be a buyout...it hasn't even been a thought in Stevie Y's head. Besides that is a BIG "if" and I don't see it happening.

I agree, I do not believe there will be a buyout and it would not help their situation, but neither of us knows what is going on in Stevie Y's head. If he hasn't even thought about it, he isn't doing his job in my opinion.

They have all of that cap space, that amount of bonuses, and that's for two buyouts, two goalies, eight defensemen, and nine forwards. So they have Stamkos, Purcell, and two other forwards to sign for less than $12.2m. Seems perfectly reasonable.

Although something to consider given Vinny's albatross contract;

He's definitely not worth the money. So if you waive him to buy him out, he almost certainly doesn't get picked up. Buy him out, that's $2,575,757 for the buyout, or 1/3 of his cap hit. Vinny is out about $21m because he'll only get two-thirds of what's left. Now you immediately sign him back on for *drumroll* $21m over nine years. That's a $2,333,333 hit, total hit for Vinny is cut down to $4,909090 from $7,727,273. That's over $2.8m.

Wow, just all kinds of wrong in here.

1. Buying out a player above the age of 26 means you buy the remainder of the contract for 2/3 the value ($). The buyout value can then be spread out over twice the remaining life of the contract (that's how you end up with approximately 1/3 of the contract as a cap hit each year for twice the remaining life of the contract).

2. When a team buys out a player they cannot re-sign him for (the last time I checked) at least 1 year.

3. Tampa is a team struggling with cash. Buying out Lecavalier is not an option because they'd have to dump the full amount of the buyout (2/3 of remaining dollars on the contract) to Lecavalier right away. That would be a massive dent in their bank account and then you think they'd turn around and commit massive amounts of money to Stamkos? That makes no sense

2. When a team buys out a player they cannot re-sign him for (the last time I checked) at least 1 year.

The CBA definitely says that if the team used a compliance buyout on a player before the 05-06 season, that player couldn't rejoin that team that season, but I can't find anything explicitly prohibiting a team from buying a player out with a "regular" buyout then re-signing him.

I agree, I do not believe there will be a buyout and it would not help their situation, but neither of us knows what is going on in Stevie Y's head. If he hasn't even thought about it, he isn't doing his job in my opinion.

Exactly, so what makes anyone think he hasn't even thought about it?

My guess is something gets done last minute. There's gotta be that give & take on both sides and in the end, TB is an attractive market to be playing in right now. Stevie will probably up his offer a little while Stamkos will concede as well.

I say our GM and President work out a deal in the dark of night while we're asleep. We have the cash, $8.7M cap space, then we wait and see if Savard retires (free's up another $7.0M), then throw in a few prospects/4 #1 draft choices (which is fine with me since we'll be at the bottom of the pile for that) and the deal is done. Once again Tampa doesn't have the cash to match an offer sheet from anybody....Stamkos is leaving Tampa.

As for Vinny's contract buy out...that isn't happening. They don't have the money to buy Vinny's contract out and they don't have the money to match any offer sheet that comes Stamko's way...front loading a contract is out the window as well. Either way Tampa is f***ed by their old GM and how he managed their money on contracts.

I say our GM and President work out a deal in the dark of night while we're asleep. We have the cash, $8.7M cap space, then we wait and see if Savard retires (free's up another $7.0M), then throw in a few prospects/4 #1 draft choices (which is fine with me since we'll be at the bottom of the pile for that) and the deal is done. Once again Tampa doesn't have the cash to match an offer sheet from anybody....Stamkos is leaving Tampa.

As for Vinny's contract buy out...that isn't happening. They don't have the money to buy Vinny's contract out and they don't have the money to match any offer sheet that comes Stamko's way...front loading a contract is out the window as well. Either way Tampa is f***ed by their old GM and how he managed their money on contracts.

I assure you, if this somehow happened, Boston would have to throw in a roster player of substance. Tampa is a talented team that's finally seeing success. I highly doubt Stevie wants such a large step backwards.

I assure you, if this somehow happened, Boston would have to throw in a roster player of substance. Tampa is a talented team that's finally seeing success. I highly doubt Stevie wants such a large step backwards.

I'm just saying...we have the $ and we have the prospects and we can give up 4 1st round picks since we'll be drafting at the bottom. You also have too remember that the "bonus" isn't part of the base salary so we can pay X number of $ over X number of years...something along the lines of the Brad Richards deal with the Rangers.

The CBA definitely says that if the team used a compliance buyout on a player before the 05-06 season, that player couldn't rejoin that team that season, but I can't find anything explicitly prohibiting a team from buying a player out with a "regular" buyout then re-signing him.

Didn't Alexi Yashin get bought out by the Islanders and later re-signed with them?

f*** boston

Not related to this topic at all, but I find it funny that this comment gets so many +1 votes now that its summer.

If this same comment had been made during the finals, when almost everyone here was on the "Yay! Go Boston!" bandwagon, it would have gotten like -30. :)

Edited by sleepwalker

I'm just saying...we have the $ and we have the prospects and we can give up 4 1st round picks since we'll be drafting at the bottom. You also have too remember that the "bonus" isn't part of the base salary so we can pay X number of $ over X number of years...something along the lines of the Brad Richards deal with the Rangers.

Boston isn't going to offer up some insane contract to Stamkos because that will cost them Lucic and/or Krejci sooner rather than later. And a trade for Stamkos would involve one of them, plus picks and prospects, and possibly another roster player.

This isn't a Phil Kessel "we're trading him because he's a pain in the ass, and we're getting a buttload of top picks from a dumbass" deal. Stamkos is younger than Kessel, and a top tier talent. If Kessel's deal was fair value, then add Lucic to it to make it fair value for Stamkos.

Not related to this topic at all, but I find it funny that this comment gets so many +1 votes now that its summer.

If this same comment had been made during the finals, when almost everyone here was on the "Yay! Go Boston!" bandwagon, it would have gotten like -30. :)

I think the general consensus was less "go boston" and more "f*** vancouver, I hope they burn in hell". We just picked boston because most of us dislike the canucks more than we dislike the bruins.

Guest Crymson

Didn't Alexi Yashin get bought out by the Islanders and later re-signed with them?

No. He went to the KHL after being bought out.