• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ozzie30

Wings re-sign Ericsson to 3-year, $9.75m contract

Rate this topic

506 posts in this topic

Everyone keeps saying this like it's a defense of the signing. If he could make more elsewhere, LET HIM GO MAKE MORE ELSEWHERE! I see the point of the going rate for defensemen, but anyone who thinks theres even a tiny chance Big E fills Rafalski's shoes (successfully) in the Top 2 is delirious. I know Holland said he's still looking, but that "we could always just rely on Ericsson for our Top 2 replacement" quote sounds an awful lot like "this is what we'll be doing since there's nobody out there."

STOP SAYING THAT!

4191829930_2fcbe46e34.jpg

Everyone keeps saying this like it's a defense of the signing. If he could make more elsewhere, LET HIM GO MAKE MORE ELSEWHERE! I see the point of the going rate for defensemen, but anyone who thinks theres even a tiny chance Big E fills Rafalski's shoes (successfully) in the Top 2 is delirious. I know Holland said he's still looking, but that "we could always just rely on Ericsson for our Top 2 replacement" quote sounds an awful lot like "this is what we'll be doing since there's nobody out there."

I don't believe I heard Holland or anyone say that at all.

Edited by dropkickshanahans
Drake_Marcus likes this

I thought I would get less pissed about this as time went on. Still just as pissed.

Dude-- no one in their right mind thinks Ericsson is Rafi's replacement.

If Rafalski hadn't retired Ericsson would've been shown the door when he asked for that price. The problem is that losing Ericsson would've represented a 50% turn over of the defensive core. That lack of continuity is very risky and not Holland's style. Once Rafi retired Holland's hand were almost tied. Replacing half your defence with unknowns who are completely unfamiliar with the team/system is very risky. The other factor here was how foolish the market's been. The cap comparables really tied Holland's hands as well. It would've been more expensive to bring a guy in at E's age, size and skill-set. Youngish, big puck-moving d-men are a coveted commodity right now.

This whole situation sucks balls but people need to remember how much cap room and time is left to sort the defence out.

STOP SAYING THAT!

4191829930_2fcbe46e34.jpg

I don't believe I heard Holland or anyone say that at all.

His exact words were, "if we don't find another top 4 defenseman, Ericsson will fill that role".

Read the article again. It's a definite possibility.

His exact words were, "if we don't find another top 4 defenseman, Ericsson will fill that role".

Top 4 is different from Top 2 as quoted by VM.

Do you "POSITIVE" people give any thought to the fact that Holland HAD THE f***IN CHANCE TO PICK UP A FEW READY TO GO DMEN FOR A BIT MORE THAN BIG F-?!?!?!?!?!

My god, Holland screwed the pooch. He just had to stick to his "method" and as such we will have one of the worst defensive squads in the last 20 years. I feel for Nicky, Im sure he was told that there would be some backup for a real push to the Cup and to hear that he could possibly be paired with Pylon, itd be like being told your new co-worker is a drooling retard that smells of s*** and piss.

Im pissed and I can tell you right now there are a few Wings fans in the northern California area that dont even want the topic brought up.

I say, TRADE HOLLAND. f***n idiot.

Ericsson gets modified NTC per cap geeks twitter.

its gets worse and worse.

This contract has the potential to usurp Uwe Krupp as the worst in Redwings history

bdavis likes this

Dude-- no one in their right mind thinks Ericsson is Rafi's replacement.

Who on LGW is actually in their right mind? The only reason I keep coming back here is for all the insanity...

wings1110 likes this

Who on LGW is actually in their right mind? The only reason I keep coming back here is for all the insanity...

Haha, nice.

Thank you, I don't know why everyone jumped down my throat. It was written right in the article from Holland's mouth.

Top 4 is different from Top 2 as quoted by VM.

Lidstrom-Stuart-Kronwall-Rafalski/Ericsson. That's where I made that stretch. Ericsson filling a top 4 when there are already the other top 3 is the same as filling Rafalski's place. Maybe he won't be replacing Rafalski exactly in the sense that he'll be doing the same role, and maybe that's what people thought I was saying, but the reality is if E is in the Top 4 that means the Top 4 took a hit from last season, which is bad.

If you read what Holland has said and what I said, you'd understand that no one is stating Ericsson is replacing Rafalski. Where do you get this s***? Read! Holland is doing what he can to get a top 4 defender, but pickings are slim. If we can't, he'll expect the ENTIRE defensive unit to pick up their games to offset the loss. It is, after all, a team sport.

I'm making the best of the situation instead of bitching about it. It's called being positive and trying to see the bright side. Give it a try.

Oh, and who do you suggest we replace him with? White? Babchuk? Wizniewski was never coming here, Ehrhoff was already locked down in Buffalo. Enlighten me. The fact of the matter is that no matter what Ericsson has done to this point, he has potential. The entire management wouldn't have approved of this, otherwise. I don't agree with the way we paid him, I'd rather he prove it beforehand, but it was a risk that Holland felt we needed to take. He has faith in the guy, and I'm sure there was conversation of expectations. His contract is not too big to trade, in this market.

There is this crazy thing called TRADES.....

It is also very possible that holland is only saying this so that he still has the upper hand in trade/FA negotiations. He doesn't look/sound/come off as desperate and won't be taken advantage of.

Right.

As in "If we don't find another top 4 defenseman, Ericsson will fill that role..." AS A TOP FOUR DEFENSEMAN.

AS IN #4. That does not equal "Ericsson will fill Rafalski's role."

He is not saying Ericsson will fill Rafalski's role. He doesn't even come close to saying that. You guys are making a massive assumption.

Edited by haroldsnepsts
SwedeLundin77 likes this

Thank you, I don't know why everyone jumped down my throat. It was written right in the article from Holland's mouth.

Lidstrom-Stuart-Kronwall-Rafalski/Ericsson. That's where I made that stretch. Ericsson filling a top 4 when there are already the other top 3 is the same as filling Rafalski's place. Maybe he won't be replacing Rafalski exactly in the sense that he'll be doing the same role, and maybe that's what people thought I was saying, but the reality is if E is in the Top 4 that means the Top 4 took a hit from last season, which is bad.

Yes that's what I thought you were saying, because you kept saying he'd be taking Rafalski's place. He won't be.

I totally understand being concerned about Ericsson sliding up to the #4 spot and agree with your last statement.

There is this crazy thing called TRADES.....

Trade for who, with what? Try being specific with your ideas.

Right.

As in "If we don't find another top 4 defenseman, Ericsson will fill that role..." AS A TOP FOUR DEFENSEMAN.

AS IN #4. That does not equal "Ericsson will fill Rafalski's role."

He is not saying Ericsson will fill Rafalski's role. He doesn't even come close to saying that. You guys are making a massive assumption.

^This.

Looks like the top 4 is set:

Kronwall - Stuart

Lidstrom - Ericsson

I updated my avatar :D

It is also very possible that holland is only saying this so that he still has the upper hand in trade/FA negotiations. He doesn't look/sound/come off as desperate and won't be taken advantage of.

That is certainly possible. Holland could be blowing smoke up everyone's ass, he's done it before. But we can only judge things based on what has happened and the comments made. I'm sure Holland will be looking for another defenseman all summer. Hopefully he can find one. But given how they've always been high on Ericsson it wouldn't be too unusual for them to be doubling down on him and forcing him into a top spot for him to learn.

I see a very similar situation to last year, where most of the defenders had similar minutes, so E might be seeing time with Lidstrom as a last ditch effort to make him learn.

Ericsson's agent played this game well. Losing Rafalski put our defensive roster into crisis mode, and Salei leaving gives Holland more to look for in an already dry FA market. If Ericsson walks, half of our defensive core is gone and needs to be replaced and given the talent available, this is not the year to go down that road. Holland knew this and so did Ericsson's agent. If there were more defensive free agents, Ericsson doesn't average 3.25M. If Rafalksi doesn't retire, Ericsson doesn't average 3.25M. The ball was not in Holland's court with this one, and that is why Ericsson got what he got. Not because Holland is a loony or has some secret trade up his sleeve, or that Ericsson is expected to replace Rafalski. This is a matter of minimizing damage, and losing Ericsson (regardless of how he's bashed here) in addition to Rafalski and Salei would be devastating in this years' market.

It's only money

if he's s*** and we need the cap space he can be demoted, but with the cap exploding that probably wont happen.

There wasn't a better free agent D-man

G.D. it Holland! A NTC!?!?! Does anyone know what the "Modified NTC" consists of?

Sigh....

Like others have stated, Wings were in a bind... This only means we will be paying a lot more for potential contract extensions for Kronner and Stu

I wouldnt be opposed to this if it was one year. but u dont know if were gunna have space like we do now in the future.

G.D. it Holland! A NTC!?!?! Does anyone know what the "Modified NTC" consists of?

It means that, if the Wings want to trade him, Ericsson provides a list of (usually 10, sometimes 8, sometimes 12) teams that he will waive his NTC for. The goal of a modified NTC is to allow a player to have some say on where he will end up if he's traded while allowing for the team to have some 'auto' trade options.

"Well, I think if you'd looked at the market, and Jonathan Ericsson had (signed elsewhere), I think he would've gotten a much bigger raise than we gave him," he told Matt Shepard on WDFN-AM 1130 Detroit. "He's 27 years of age. He's 6-foot-5. If you look at defensemen, and there's guys around the league that, really – 29, 30, 31 ... defense is such a hard position – there's those guys that hit the league at 23, 24. They're probably going to be the superstars.

"Jonathan Ericsson is still a work in progress, like most 27-year-old defensemen, and he's 6-foot-5."

"It's all market-driven," he said of the free agent salaries. "As you saw, what happened from July 1 on, we had to make a decision in advance of July 1, and I think, based on what happened, we're pretty happy with that decision."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/07/ken_holland_on_wdfn_red_wings_2.html