• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Majsheppard

Weber Arbitration hearing...

Rate this topic

If you follow twitter, you will notice that the entire hockey world is shocked how things are going down with Shea Weber and the Preds.

First off, is the fact that the salary number is 4 million off between the two sides.

Second is that Weber wants out apparently.

Third is this notion that he WON'T be UFA next year but it will take two years...

and finally is how much this means to Nashville...

I thought a thread for this would be nice.

Moreover, I want to know how someone who is 27 next year isn't going to be UFA. Doesn't the CBA clearly show that he must be UFA... they are saying that he hasn't played enough games one year... and I don't think that really is affects his UFA status.

I must be right... because no one brought this up until just now... so is this some obscure rule that I haven't heard used before now that the Nashville lawyers dug up or a mistake...

Anyone have anything else to add?

I guess Capgeek says because he is 27 in August and they go by your age on June 30th (which is the first time I have heard this before) You get stuck another year?!?!

What kinda bs is that? I sure would be mad if I were him.

If an arbitrator rules in favor of Weber, let's say, at a price that Nashville doesn't see fit - would they likely trade his rights? I'm not terribly familiar with matters of arbitration and the like. Does the arbitrator basically rule on a monetary number for yearly salary and leave the contract negotiations up to the player and team from there?

If an arbitrator rules in favor of Weber, let's say, at a price that Nashville doesn't see fit - would they likely trade his rights? I'm not terribly familiar with matters of arbitration and the like. Does the arbitrator basically rule on a monetary number for yearly salary and leave the contract negotiations up to the player and team from there?

Whatever the arbitrator rules in the end, if the club decides not to go with it, Weber becomes UFA. Basically, the team walks away.

Guest 13GoWings40

I don't think you can trade someone after arbitration. The way I understand it is you either accept the contract or reject it, in which case the player is a UFA.

Guest stinky fish taco

I guess Capgeek says because he is 27 in August and they go by your age on June 30th (which is the first time I have heard this before) You get stuck another year?!?!

they have to set the cutoff date somewhere. the day before free agency makes the most sense.

Whatever the arbitrator rules in the end, if the club decides not to go with it, Weber becomes UFA. Basically, the team walks away.

And since he is RFA, if the team likes what the arbitrator rules - he will be forced to re-sign?

The age rule has been there all the time. It even affects 35+ contracts. Your age is recorded as your age at the beginning of the league year, which is July 1st. Also, free agency is currently 27 years old OR 7 accured seasons. Sounds like he isn't qualified for either.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/thenewnhl/a/salary_cap_expl_2.htm

And since he is RFA, if the team likes what the arbitrator rules - he will be forced to re-sign?

Basically, yes.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. He'll get a 1 year deal in arbitration, probably in the $6M-$7M range, and Nashville will accept it. That gives Weber another year to see if the Preds are willing to spend to get some talented forwards. If they fail to improve their forwards, Weber will hope for an offer sheet next summer since the team can't force him to go to arbitration again. If they do improve, Weber signs long term and hopefully Suter becomes available.

I don't think you can trade someone after arbitration. The way I understand it is you either accept the contract or reject it, in which case the player is a UFA.

You can accept it and then trade the player, but you cannot trade their rights. As far as I understand it.

The age rule has been there all the time. It even affects 35+ contracts. Your age is recorded as your age at the beginning of the league year, which is July 1st. Also, free agency is currently 27 years old OR 7 accured seasons. Sounds like he isn't qualified for either.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/thenewnhl/a/salary_cap_expl_2.htm

Basically, yes.

Yeah... but he is 27 next year.

and Kenny sits and waits, hes smarter than we thought after all ;)

I'm sorry....not way he gets signed. I hate to burst ya bubble bud. I would love to have him in the Winged Wheel but I just don't think it's ever going to happen.

there is exactly zero chance that nashville walks away from the arbitrator's decision. let's be realistic.

I think this is the first time you and I have agreed, but this is completely true. An arbitrator will award almost certainly less than what Weber and Co. are pushing for. If Weber's camp is pushing for $8.5, its doubtful the judge rules for anything higher than $8....which Weber is certainly worth . Anything less and NSH makes out like a bandit because they get 2 more years of his services worry-free before renegotiating long-term.

NSH's POV right now is why waste money the next 2 years when the judge will almost certainly save them some.

Where did anyone hear he came out and stated he didn't want to be in Nashville anymore? That would probably be the first time in many moons where a player stated he wanted out prior to an RFA/UFA deal.

I don't think anyone's seen it in writing as having been said by Weber. Outside of the fact that it'd be terribly unprofessional, I'd imagine it would damage his standpoint in the arbitration hearings since his team could argue against him by claiming he's just inflating his asking price to leave. It seems to be the general consensus, though, that Weber wants out.

Edited by Travis

Guest Crymson

and Kenny sits and waits, hes smarter than we thought after all ;)

What were his other options? No team was eligible to send Weber an offer sheet.

The Predators will have to accept the contract no matter the terms because by filing for club-elected arbitration, they prevented other teams from signing Weber to an offer sheet this summer but also forfeited their rights to walk away from the arbiter's ruling.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=585603&navid=mod-rr-headlines

A couple other things in the article but it does clear a few things up I think.