• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

If you follow twitter, you will notice that the entire hockey world is shocked how things are going down with Shea Weber and the Preds.

First off, is the fact that the salary number is 4 million off between the two sides.

Second is that Weber wants out apparently.

Third is this notion that he WON'T be UFA next year but it will take two years...

and finally is how much this means to Nashville...

I thought a thread for this would be nice.

Moreover, I want to know how someone who is 27 next year isn't going to be UFA. Doesn't the CBA clearly show that he must be UFA... they are saying that he hasn't played enough games one year... and I don't think that really is affects his UFA status.

I must be right... because no one brought this up until just now... so is this some obscure rule that I haven't heard used before now that the Nashville lawyers dug up or a mistake...

Anyone have anything else to add?
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#2 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

I guess Capgeek says because he is 27 in August and they go by your age on June 30th (which is the first time I have heard this before) You get stuck another year?!?!

What kinda bs is that? I sure would be mad if I were him.

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#3 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

I guess Capgeek says because he is 27 in August and they go by your age on June 30th (which is the first time I have heard this before) You get stuck another year?!?!

If an arbitrator rules in favor of Weber, let's say, at a price that Nashville doesn't see fit - would they likely trade his rights? I'm not terribly familiar with matters of arbitration and the like. Does the arbitrator basically rule on a monetary number for yearly salary and leave the contract negotiations up to the player and team from there?

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#4 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

If an arbitrator rules in favor of Weber, let's say, at a price that Nashville doesn't see fit - would they likely trade his rights? I'm not terribly familiar with matters of arbitration and the like. Does the arbitrator basically rule on a monetary number for yearly salary and leave the contract negotiations up to the player and team from there?

Whatever the arbitrator rules in the end, if the club decides not to go with it, Weber becomes UFA. Basically, the team walks away.

#5 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

I don't think you can trade someone after arbitration. The way I understand it is you either accept the contract or reject it, in which case the player is a UFA.

#6 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

they have to set the cutoff date somewhere. the day before free agency makes the most sense.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#7 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

Whatever the arbitrator rules in the end, if the club decides not to go with it, Weber becomes UFA. Basically, the team walks away.

And since he is RFA, if the team likes what the arbitrator rules - he will be forced to re-sign?

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#8 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

The age rule has been there all the time. It even affects 35+ contracts. Your age is recorded as your age at the beginning of the league year, which is July 1st. Also, free agency is currently 27 years old OR 7 accured seasons. Sounds like he isn't qualified for either.

http://proicehockey...._cap_expl_2.htm

And since he is RFA, if the team likes what the arbitrator rules - he will be forced to re-sign?

Basically, yes.

#9 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

According to the Twitterverse, Nashville is offering something around 4.5. Seriously??? No wonder it had to go to hearing, which is the first time in NHL history that a team-requested arbitration did so.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#10 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

NHL arbitration rules:

#11 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

I'm not sure what the big deal is. He'll get a 1 year deal in arbitration, probably in the $6M-$7M range, and Nashville will accept it. That gives Weber another year to see if the Preds are willing to spend to get some talented forwards. If they fail to improve their forwards, Weber will hope for an offer sheet next summer since the team can't force him to go to arbitration again. If they do improve, Weber signs long term and hopefully Suter becomes available.

#12 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

if Weber gets a number that the Preds won't give him....I don't care what it is, i hope the Wings give him an offer. 4.5 is insulting. the guy was just runner up for the Norris!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#13 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

If Nashville walks away from Weber and Holland doesn't get him signed. I think LGW.com will have a meltdown....

#14 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

there is exactly zero chance that nashville walks away from the arbitrator's decision. let's be realistic.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#15 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

I don't think you can trade someone after arbitration. The way I understand it is you either accept the contract or reject it, in which case the player is a UFA.

You can accept it and then trade the player, but you cannot trade their rights. As far as I understand it.

The age rule has been there all the time. It even affects 35+ contracts. Your age is recorded as your age at the beginning of the league year, which is July 1st. Also, free agency is currently 27 years old OR 7 accured seasons. Sounds like he isn't qualified for either.

Basically, yes.

Yeah... but he is 27 next year.

#16 Rick

Rick

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

EJHradek

Weber not eligible 4 UFA status next summer cause he didn't meet the 40-game standard for accrude NHL season in 05-06. He was 12 games short

#17 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

and Kenny sits and waits, hes smarter than we thought after all ;)
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#18 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

and Kenny sits and waits, hes smarter than we thought after all ;)

I'm sorry....not way he gets signed. I hate to burst ya bubble bud. I would love to have him in the Winged Wheel but I just don't think it's ever going to happen.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#19 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:38 PM

there is exactly zero chance that nashville walks away from the arbitrator's decision. let's be realistic.

I think this is the first time you and I have agreed, but this is completely true. An arbitrator will award almost certainly less than what Weber and Co. are pushing for. If Weber's camp is pushing for $8.5, its doubtful the judge rules for anything higher than $8....which Weber is certainly worth . Anything less and NSH makes out like a bandit because they get 2 more years of his services worry-free before renegotiating long-term.

NSH's POV right now is why waste money the next 2 years when the judge will almost certainly save them some.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#20 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

I don't think he will be anything but a predator next season or two... I was just saying if out of some sort of miracle he wasn't and Holland didn't get him a lot of LGW would want his head lol