Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

#2 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

Remember when we could pass like that all over the attacking zone? :hehe:
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#3 wmubronco420

wmubronco420

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

The most amazing thing about that video is pb the scroll at the bottom says Joey Harrington threw for 309 yds and 2 tds. I honestly think I remember that game cuz he didn't have many like that.

Posted Image

#4 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

Remember when we could pass like that all over the attacking zone? :hehe:

Oh, stop it. :hehe:

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#5 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

Weird seeing hockey on ESPN.

Also funny how they talk about Babcock for a while in that vid, how he was giving praise to the Wings scouting staff. He was still coaching the Ducks.
Posted Image

#6 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

Ken and Mickey version.

Ducks announcers version.

So YouTube now has three different versions of Z's first goal. Awesome.

Also funny how they talk about Babcock for a while in that vid, how he was giving praise to the Wings scouting staff. He was still coaching the Ducks.

Well yeah I'm pretty sure that, as the coach of the Wings AHL affiliate at that time, he wanted and asked for a shot at coaching the Wings because they were transitioning out of the Bowman era. Kenny said no because Dave Lewis had earned the opportunity. During the Lewis era, however, Babs built up enough experience to show that he could coach at the NHL level. The rest they say is history.

#7 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

Henrik didn't come off to me as being an immediate Calder candidate but it's eerie how the Ducks broadcast there got it right. I'm still pissed though about him losing it to Barret Jerkov.

Also kinda OT but Avery's goal scored that was shown on a national broadcast.. note again how the play by play and colour guy are babbling like assholes throughout play until someone scores as annoyingly expected.

"Oh and remember the time we ate those awesome sausages that barbe-- he scores!".

"I can't think of a better defenceman than Bobby Orr that reminds me of some random story seven score years ago when I used to play-- he scores!"

Mind boggling.

#8 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

The most amazing thing about that video is pb the scroll at the bottom says Joey Harrington threw for 309 yds and 2 tds. I honestly think I remember that game cuz he didn't have many like that.

Joey was underrated. He posted a solid passer rating despite a weak team. On a team with better protection and receivers, he could have been an annual Pro-Bowler. Case in point; he's ranked 128th of all qualified quarterbacks in career passer rating. That's better than Joe Namath. Another interesting fact? Charlie Batch is 70th, in the neighborhood of Harbaugh, Theismann, McMahon, Simms, and Unitas.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#9 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

Henrik didn't come off to me as being an immediate Calder candidate but it's eerie how the Ducks broadcast there got it right. I'm still pissed though about him losing it to Barret Jerkov.

Also kinda OT but Avery's goal scored that was shown on a national broadcast.. note again how the play by play and colour guy are babbling like assholes throughout play until someone scores as annoyingly expected.

"Oh and remember the time we ate those awesome sausages that barbe-- he scores!".

"I can't think of a better defenceman than Bobby Orr that reminds me of some random story seven score years ago when I used to play-- he scores!"

Mind boggling.

Wings have been screwed out of a few more Calders over the years.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#10 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:35 PM

Well yeah I'm pretty sure that, as the coach of the Wings AHL affiliate at that time, he wanted and asked for a shot at coaching the Wings because they were transitioning out of the Bowman era. Kenny said no because Dave Lewis had earned the opportunity. During the Lewis era, however, Babs built up enough experience to show that he could coach at the NHL level. The rest they say is history.

Huh? Babs was coaching the Ducks during that game, hence my comment. Babcock never coached the Wings AHL affiliate. Or am I completely missing something about your post? Wouldn't be the first time.
Posted Image

#11 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

Joey Harrington got jobbed. Harrington and Zetterberg ftw!

#12 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:58 PM

Huh? Babs was coaching the Ducks during that game, hence my comment. Babcock never coached the Wings AHL affiliate. Or am I completely missing something about your post? Wouldn't be the first time.

He coached the Ducks minor team which had 6 or so red wing players on it for one reason or another. It states as much in the video.

#13 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:01 PM

One of those players is not like the other!

#14 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

He coached the Ducks minor team which had 6 or so red wing players on it for one reason or another. It states as much in the video.

I get that. Hence my original post. Just didn't understand Red Wings Addict's response to my post where he implied Babs was the Wings AHL coach at the time. Oh well, color me confused.
Posted Image

#15 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:43 AM

Another Z goal, this time his first ever in a Wings uni:

#16 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

Great post man I cant wait for hockey

#17 wmubronco420

wmubronco420

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

Joey was underrated. He posted a solid passer rating despite a weak team. On a team with better protection and receivers, he could have been an annual Pro-Bowler. Case in point; he's ranked 128th of all qualified quarterbacks in career passer rating. That's better than Joe Namath. Another interesting fact? Charlie Batch is 70th, in the neighborhood of Harbaugh, Theismann, McMahon, Simms, and Unitas.

I wasn't really ripping on joey as much as I was the lions ingeneral. I always liked joey and wished he would materialize into a solid QB.

Posted Image

#18 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:07 AM

So long ago... wow.

Also not how Salei got jobbed behind the net allowing the play to unfold. lols.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#19 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

I get that. Hence my original post. Just didn't understand Red Wings Addict's response to my post where he implied Babs was the Wings AHL coach at the time. Oh well, color me confused.

The Cincinnati Ducks were the AHL affiliate of the Red Wings from 1999-2002.
http://www.hockeydb....nt.php?tmi=5492

Babs was the coach of the Cincinnati Ducks from 00-01 to 01-02.

Forest for the trees I guess.

#20 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

Both of the aforementioned Lions' QBs also had a much smaller sample size than the other names you've mentioned.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png