329 replies to this topic

#141 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:59 AM

From TSN:

NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan has suspended Minnesota Wild forward Pierre-Marc Bouchard for two games for an incident that took place on Saturday.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#142 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

We still using this thread? Just saw on Twitter from Bob McKenzie:

NHL announces PIT's Kris Letang will have disciplinary hearing today for boarding WPG's Alex Burmistrov last night.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#143 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

We still using this thread? Just saw on Twitter from Bob McKenzie:

After all the panic during the pre-season there's been only one suspension since the start of the regular season. I'm glad if this means that players have already adjusted. Neither have I noticed a drop in the quality of the game that some feared. Could it be that regular season games are more important so players are concentrating more in all aspects of the game which includes keeping your hands down when hitting?

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#144 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

After all the panic during the pre-season there's been only one suspension since the start of the regular season. I'm glad if this means that players have already adjusted. Neither have I noticed a drop in the quality of the game that some feared. Could it be that regular season games are more important so players are concentrating more in all aspects of the game which includes keeping your hands down when hitting?

I think its been a combination of players being smarter in the regular season, but also a reduction in Shanahan's toughness. Right now there is a good balance IMO. The suspensions in the preseason sent a message. I think this hit some of the players, but at the same time I didn't think such a stringent standard could be kept up all season long.
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#145 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:19 PM

TSN.ca

The NHL has suspended Pittsburgh Penguins defenceman Kris Letang two games for his hit on Winnipeg's Alexander Burmistrov on Monday night.

Letang was assessed a boarding penalty on the play.

Letang leads the Penguins with seven points so far this season.

Shanahan's video: NHL.com

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#146 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

Good. Letang's a cheap little ***** that gets the benefit of the doubt usually because he has some skill.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#147 GongShow94

GongShow94

Prospect

• 43 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:41 AM

Good. Letang's a cheap little ***** that gets the benefit of the doubt usually because he has some skill.

Its not just letang in my eyes I think the whole pens team gets babied. Except for cooke, the pens players get away with murder all the time.

#148 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

Its not just letang in my eyes I think the whole pens team gets babied. Except for cooke, the pens players get away with murder all the time.

Did you hear the Pens broadcast with Errey making excuses right and left for Letang? I know some people think Ken and Mickey are homers, but even they'll call a spade a spade. On the Pens' broadcasts, though...they can do no wrong.

ABV_sig.png

#149 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

Did you hear the Pens broadcast with Errey making excuses right and left for Letang? I know some people think Ken and Mickey are homers, but even they'll call a spade a spade. On the Pens' broadcasts, though...they can do no wrong.

the pens announcing crew is easily the worst in the NHL. even their own fans want them fired

#150 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

the pens announcing crew is easily the worst in the NHL. even their own fans want them fired

The ones in boston are horrible too.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#151 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

really? of course i'm biased, but i've been listening to mickey for 25+ years and he calls a shenanigan a shenanigan, regardless of the team.
Posted Image

#152 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

The ones in boston are horrible too.

Yeah, NESN is pretty bad.

really? of course i'm biased, but i've been listening to mickey for 25+ years and he calls a shenanigan a shenanigan, regardless of the team.

You'd be surprised. I don't get it either, but some fans of other teams HATE Ken and Mickey. Maybe they're so used to their broadcast teams telling them what they want to hear (like FS Pittsburgh) that they're offended by legitimate commentary and extensive hockey knowledge.

ABV_sig.png

#153 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

Bad suspension, shouldn't have been anything more than a 2 min penalty and perhaps a fine, but this is excessive
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#154 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

Updated. I think a minor penalty would've been enough, but I'm not gonna throw a fit about this one. A bit excessive, though.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#155 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

Legit suspension, Letang saw his numbers for a while before he boarded him. very dangerous play.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#156 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

NHL.com

Nashville's Shea Weber will have a disciplinary hearing Friday afternoon following a boarding penalty assessed to the Predators defenseman for a hit on Vancouver's Jannik Hansen during Thursday's game.

At 5:12 of the third period, Weber was penalized for boarding Hansen, and also given an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

TSN.ca

Nashville Predators defenceman Shea Weber will have a hearing with the NHL at 2pm et on Friday to discuss his hit from behind on Vancouver's Jannik Hansen.

The hit from Thursday's 5-1 Vancouver victory came in the third period. Weber slammed Hansen into the glass behind the Nashville net with a shoulder to the back. The Nashville blueliner received two minutes for boarding and an additional two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct on the play.

The 26-year-old Weber has never received a suspension over parts of seven NHL seasons in Nashville.

Interesting. Weber's the first star player to have a hearing this season. I can't find a video of the incident so I have no idea if he'll get a suspension. With all the talk about star players getting special treatment this will probably create fuss no matter what Shanahan does.

Edited by P. Marlowe, 21 October 2011 - 10:58 AM.

-- Mitch Albom

#157 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:25 PM

Here's the video of Weber's hit on Hansen:

Edited by P. Marlowe, 21 October 2011 - 03:25 PM.

-- Mitch Albom

#158 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

I didn't think it was that bad. Certainly hit him in the numbers, so no question there, but I thought Hansen kind of flopped it. Not like that has stopped a suspension this year though, see: Adbelkader, Justin. Either way, did Hansen put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneous to the hit? Shanny will let us know soon enough.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#159 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

NHL.com

Shea Weber was fined $2,500 on Friday by NHL Senior Vice President of Player Safety Brendan Shanahan for an illegal hit in a game Thursday night in Vancouver.

(...)

"On all plays we deem to be illegal there are varying degrees that escalate from one level to the next," Shanahan said. "I didn't like this hit, and I expressed that to Shea Weber. I feel it was an illegal hit. I would like to see less force in that situation and that is why he's being fined. He didn't use all of his force, and did get Hansen sort of on the right side of Hansen's body -- I think a lot of Weber's impact and the sound was him hitting the glass. It wasn't square in the numbers, but it was illegal."

(...)

"The big thing for me is a player's history," Shanahan said. "That to me is something I've done so far. If you see my highest suspensions, it is when there are multiple offenses. Weber has played a long time in the NHL and played a very physical style and had no offenses. Also, there was no injury on the play.

"It is a situation where he can't make that hit that way again. He's now in a situation similar to Letang where he has a fine on his record. Letang's fine is a significant reason why he got suspended instead of fined."

-- Mitch Albom

#160 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

There had better be at least a 1 or 2 game ban for Tyutin.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman