21 replies to this topic

#1 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

Smith

I understand Smith, we've got 8 defenceman if you include him. I don't like it though, seems like we're delaying the inevitable by sending him down, would rather waive Commodore. But why recall Bonestorm??? There is no point. We're already carrying one extra forward in Eaves, why need 2?

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#2 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:34 AM

How frustrating. Smith deserves to be up with the big club.

If Holland has any weaknesses, it seems to be with handling and development of defensemen.

#3 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:09 AM

My bet: This means Mursak is doing well. So the team wants to get Brunnstrom into some games and give him a real chance to prove himself now before it's go time for Mursak. That way, we know if we simply waive Brunnstrom and don't worry about it if he's picked up, or waive someone else (Eaves, Miller) because someone will have to be waived - unless Brunner is still under the 30-day limit when Mursak comes back.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#4 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:07 AM

Why does everyone want to waive Commodore? I don't get it. Seems like we need some physicality since we are being pushed around in every game and Smith is not the person to provide that. Commodore may be.

Commodore hasn't played enough to warrant this kind of attitude. Smith has had a shot to impress, and he hasn't. He'll get more shots but right now Commodore is healthy and should be given a chance to contribute. The same goes for Mursak.

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#5 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

My bet: This means Mursak is doing well. So the team wants to get Brunnstrom into some games and give him a real chance to prove himself now before it's go time for Mursak. That way, we know if we simply waive Brunnstrom and don't worry about it if he's picked up, or waive someone else (Eaves, Miller) because someone will have to be waived - unless Brunner is still under the 30-day limit when Mursak comes back.

Yep, Mursak is a few weeks away from returning to GR for his coniditioning stint. :)

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#6 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

This is the way the Wings have worked for years. Have as much depth as possible, so when injuries happen, they have options. Goes back to 2007, when three defensemen got injured in the playoffs. Between Smith and Commodore, Smith has options to the minors, so he is the one sent down.

#7 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

Why does everyone want to waive Commodore? I don't get it. Seems like we need some physicality since we are being pushed around in every game and Smith is not the person to provide that. Commodore may be.

Commodore hasn't played enough to warrant this kind of attitude. Smith has had a shot to impress, and he hasn't. He'll get more shots but right now Commodore is healthy and should be given a chance to contribute. The same goes for Mursak.

Ummmm, according to who? You? The general consensus, actually, is that he's NHL ready. Like I said in a previous thread, they sent Smith down because they could; beacuse it was easy - no waivers, no grief, no players lost, depth retained.

I think Smith should have stayed. But I'm not for waiving Commodore. So......
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#8 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

^^^ Antecedent trouble.

The second "he" refers to Commodore.

#9 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

^^^ Antecedent trouble.

The second "he" refers to Commodore.

Ahhhh. Smith has. Commodore hasn't. My apologies.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#10 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

I don't agree with this move but what can you do? :thumbdown:

#11 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

What a weird 24 hours or so. First they couldn't figure out who was injured, then they send Brunner down and keep Smith, now they send down Smith and call up Brunner? What the hell is going on?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#12 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

They want Smitty to play more mins and every game.
To do that here, Kindl has to sit, like most of last year.
In GR, he'll get 20+ mins a night.
Next season he will be a full timer.

#13 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

The impression I have is that they might call him right back after the GR game. No?

#14 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

Babs always says that the best players play. Well not so much, but we're winning so who cares right now. Smith should go the way of Helm when the playoffs roll around, if not, then I'll be mad.

#NOMOREKINDL

#15 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

I'm just gla we got a little taste of what smith can do. Can wait to see this guy tear the league up when he's at his prime!

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#16 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

What a weird 24 hours or so. First they couldn't figure out who was injured, then they send Brunner down and keep Smith, now they send down Smith and call up Brunner? What the hell is going on?

Think it probably does have a lot to do with waivers. Isn't there a 30 day limit on when you can move players freely? Maybe one of them was coming up on 30 days on a roster and so had to be moved. But don't really quote me, not too sure how it goes. Might just be the safe thing to do switching them back and forth, rather than keeping one in a roster and having to waive them to move them. Again, though, not entirely sure of the rules.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#17 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

If Holland has any weaknesses, it seems to be with handling and development of defensemen.

gotta disagree with this one. Holland is very patient with the development of prospects.
it might be too patient sometimes, but if you look at the case of Kronwall, Howard or Abdelkader - there is logic in what Kenny does.

#18 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

I'd love to hear how he hasn't. I guess getting an assist in his first two career games isn't impressive while looking damn good on the powerplay as well. Commie has been largely unimpressive in his games that he has played. I haven't noticed him do anything that would warrant another shot in the line-up any time soon with his lackluster play. If there is an open spot in the line-up to White, Lidas, or Kronwall, Smith should play. Any injuries to the other 3, maybe play Commie for at least one game. i don't hate Commie, I think the signing was a good idea, but after watching Smith play this season, Smith is clearly the better player.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#19 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

http://www.mlive.com...ctant_fath.html

URL should answer the uncertainty of this move.

Primarily done so Brunnstrom can witness the birth of his first child. He's back/going back to the Griffins pretty much right after.

So, guessing obviously that his wife is in a hospital in metro Detroit as opposed to the Grand Rapids area.

Congrats to the Brunnstroms. :thumbup:

#20 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/11/red_wings_allow_expectant_fath.html

URL should answer the uncertainty of this move.

Primarily done so Brunnstrom can witness the birth of his first child. He's back/going back to the Griffins pretty much right after.

So, guessing obviously that his wife is in a hospital in metro Detroit as opposed to the Grand Rapids area.

Congrats to the Brunnstroms. :thumbup:

And a big "thank you" to Kenny and Co. for continuing the tradition of treating the players as people.