30 replies to this topic

#1 CanadaBoy

CanadaBoy

The Red Wing Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

http://www.mlive.com...ie_jimmy_h.html
"As of Saturday, Howard was 11th in voting, garnering more than 71,000 votes." Let's help him win: http://vote.nhl.com
You can vote up to 30 times at vote.nhl.com on your computer or mobile phone!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by CanadaBoy, 11 December 2011 - 03:14 PM.

But my most coveted thing is a high self-esteem
And a low tolerance for them telling me how to lean
See the most important parts are the ones that are unseen
The Wings don't make you fly and the Crown don't make you king
Now God don't like ugly, ain't too happy bout pretty
I am ignorance's enemy so stay out of the vicinity of...
~ Lupe Fiasco - Gold Watch

#2 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

nah thats ok he can use the rest

#3 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Ditto, he's probably better off getting a break

It's still pretty ridiculous that he wasn't even a nominee, though

#4 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

No thanks. ASG is a popularity contest based on name recognition and blatant favoritism. Besides, I tapped out after that whole debacle a couple years ago.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#5 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

I agree, give him some time with his family. He's not going to have many game days off from here on in.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#6 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

No thanks. ASG is a popularity contest based on name recognition and blatant favoritism. Besides, I tapped out after that whole debacle a couple years ago.

Agreed. They haven't featured the best players in about a decade. Why start now? I would prefer that none of the Wings go at all.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#7 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

I'll probably get 'negged for this, but I feel bad for the guy. Doesn't get recognized by the NHL as an all-star caliber goalie and then he has his own fanbase deciding that he needs to rest rather than be an all-star. While I agree that he could use the rest, I think he's still young enough to be given an opportunity to enjoy himself at an all-star event and not effect his game in a negative way. Based on that link above, he seems pretty excited at the opportunity and his friends (I will go ahead and assume family too) sound just as excited as he is. Yet here we are, from the couches in our living room, deciding that he needs to rest rather than having an opportunity at a fun weekend :thumbup: .

I voted for him.

Edited by Jasper84, 11 December 2011 - 05:54 PM.

#8 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

I agree with those saying he's better off with the rest. He can wait to prove his caliber in the playoffs.

Besides, all-star games aren't really all that fun for goalies IMO. Unless you like giving up a goal every other shot, that is.

Edited by Nevermind, 11 December 2011 - 06:26 PM.

#9 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

Why is he better off not playing?

It would be a special thing for him and for the Wings to have him in the ASG. He's not the only goalie in the league who plays a lot that would potentially play in the ASG. Let him play. It'll be fun.

It's a chance to be in the same building as the best players in the league. Also, there's plenty of players who'll never get that chance and would give anything to play in the ASG. Can't take that for granted.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 11 December 2011 - 07:44 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#10 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

I'll probably get 'negged for this, but I feel bad for the guy. Doesn't get recognized by the NHL as an all-star caliber goalie and then he has his own fanbase deciding that he needs to rest rather than be an all-star. While I agree that he could use the rest, I think he's still young enough to be given an opportunity to enjoy himself at an all-star event and not effect his game in a negative way. Based on that link above, he seems pretty excited at the opportunity and his friends (I will go ahead and assume family too) sound just as excited as he is. Yet here we are, from the couches in our living room, deciding that he needs to rest rather than having an opportunity at a fun weekend :thumbup: .

I voted for him.

Don't worry I did too.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#11 Yzermania

Yzermania

In it to win it like Yzerman.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

For people saying, he's better resting, you're really crazy. It's the all star game, it's nothing that drains energy. It's probably quite nice for them having tons of fans go wild over all of them and get to take place in some neat events, especially for guys like Howard where it would be his first time. He'd probably love it and I don't think one period of play will really be too draining, now would it?. For Lidstrom, I can get if he'd wanna relax, since he's done it so many times, the specialness of it has most likely worn off some, but it'd be great for Howie, especially as a write in, do you know how great that would feel if he knew his fans backed him that strongly?

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

For people saying, he's better resting, you're really crazy. It's the all star game, it's nothing that drains energy. It's probably quite nice for them having tons of fans go wild over all of them and get to take place in some neat events, especially for guys like Howard where it would be his first time. He'd probably love it and I don't think one period of play will really be too draining, now would it?. For Lidstrom, I can get if he'd wanna relax, since he's done it so many times, the specialness of it has most likely worn off some, but it'd be great for Howie, especially as a write in, do you know how great that would feel if he knew his fans backed him that strongly?

Lidstrom is an ambassador for the game, as well as its greatest captain and best player of the generation. He needs to be there if he's healthy.

#13 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

Hahaha, this is awesome. Red Wings fans are so dedicated to winning (just like the team itself) that they want to play the strategic move and pull their players from the ASG to rest. I love this place.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#14 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hahaha, this is awesome. Red Wings fans are so dedicated to winning (just like the team itself) that they want to play the strategic move and pull their players from the ASG to rest. I love this place.

Pretty sad isn't it? As if so many players perenially get injured in the ASG.

How are our superstars any more precious than other teams, who routinely send their best players if they're healthy?

I agree the game has many flaws, but it's still special to these players and to the fans who want to see the event or attend it.

#15 BryceWings

BryceWings

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

It's more popularity that gets voted. Howard's not a big name yet.

#16 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:00 PM

Somehow, Sandy Alomar Jr. is leading in voting for goaltenders. :(

#17 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:01 PM

I'd like for them to have a break, but my sense of pride just can't let it go. Howard's been great this year and at least deserved a nomination, so I want to get him noticed, and Lidstrom is THE All-Star, and if anybody should be there, he should, and then there's Dats who's my favorite player, so I can't not vote for him, and yeah... I'm not that into the ASG, but I guess I just want my guys to win at everything, even if it's just a stupid popularity contest. I mean, we Wings fans already know our team's better than everybody else's, but it's nice to see them get recognized for it and shove it in everybody else's faces (in a tasteful way, of course ;) ).

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#18 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:15 PM

The day after voting started I voted for my boy jimmy the allotted 30 votes....I know he could use the rest but the fact he wasn't thought of is f***ed up to me...
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#19 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:19 PM

When they passed over some players several years ago with better stats than the ones who made the ASG team, in the name of parity and politics, I lost interest.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#20 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:29 PM

He absolutely should be in.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman