• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

So both of the big names in that trade turned out to be washes.

Kinda. Washes for the teams that acquired them. Vrana hasn't played as much as Mantha, but he's consistently produced when he's been on the ice and has significantly outplayed Mantha. It's pretty obvious Vrana is a better player, but that doesn't really matter to Detroit at the moment.

7 hours ago, bIueadams said:

Dallas wins the trade

Babcock to the Blue Jackets

LOL Babcock and Laine, Are going to be like oil and water. Don't see that working out. Babcock always rubs players the wrong way,

On 4/14/2023 at 11:54 AM, Walman6million said:

Apart from Toews being sacked and the Leafs impending doom, the next best thing has been the Pens pissing the bed. Now theyve fired their president and GM lmao. Glorious. 

I smell a classic Yzerman trade coming at the draft or the offseason...

Pens, Flyers, and Preds are suddenly under new management. Do they want to shed some pieces? NYI, Jets, and Leafs might have total meltdowns this summer, especially if they exit the playoffs early.

Ducks have the worst defense in like 20 years. Does Verbeek wanna give us a roster player for one of our glut of LHD prospects he would be familiar with?

Erik Karlsson is still availble in SJS.

NYR, Boston, and Edmonton may be forced to release or trade some good players in the offseason.

Our goaltending failed us again this year. Is SY going to go out acquire soneone yet again?

"In the chaos of war there is oppurtunity" - Jimmy Devalano

As bad as free agency is, The available players up for trade. might balance it out.

Babcock is the NHL's Trump. No matter how much people hate him, he still wins. You can criticize his methods, but he still gets results. No matter how much the media digs up on him, he still finds a job. Even when he is gone, he continues to live rent free in people's heads.

Edited by Axl Foley

Commodore is sooooooo lame. Here's a fun story about him though. Back when I was on Twitter I actually got him to engage with me. He had taken up mountaineering after he retired from the NHL and was training to climb/hike Mount Kilimanjaro. I made a smart ass comment about how if he failed to summit the mountain he'd blame it on Mike Babcock and Commodore seemed to find that pretty funny. There was a little bit of banter between us and then he moved on. Of course it didn't stop him from complaining about Babcock every single change he got after that point, but I do think he's got some levity about the whole thing.

17 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

Babcock is the NHL's Trump. No matter how much people hate him, he still wins. Now matter how much the media digs up on him, he still finds a job. Even when he is gone, he continues to live rent free in people's heads.

To be fair, guys like you bring up Trump CONSTANTLY. For instance, you just did it to make a point in a hockey forum about two other people that have nothing to do with Trump. So maybe the libs won't let it go because neither will any of you?

2 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Have you guys seen the Winnipeg guy's trade talk yet?  Speculating about Hellebyuck for Husso, Kasper, and our #9 pick.  Dumbest thing Ive ever seen.

Strange enough, I wouldn't hate paying up for Hellebyuck because:

1. good mentor/competition for Cossa

2. would help stabilize the D and allow the forwards to cheat for offense a little more

But Winnipeg would never get a package like that for a goalie with 1 year left on his contract. 

Husso + NYI 1st might even be too steep IMO

14 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Strange enough, I wouldn't hate paying up for Hellebyuck because:

1. good mentor/competition for Cossa

2. would help stabilize the D and allow the forwards to cheat for offense a little more

But Winnipeg would never get a package like that for a goalie with 1 year left on his contract. 

Husso + NYI 1st might even be too steep IMO

Yah, it's not that Hellebyuck isnt a fantastic goalie.  It's that he's only got next year on his contract.  Why would we give up anything when we could just pick him up in UFA after next season?  On top of that, Cossa is showing progress.  It would be different if Cossa was pulling a Tom McCollum.  But he's improving at a 1 league per season rate, so why put another roadblock in front of him?  We used some pretty valuable assets and have spent time developing our future netminder.  Snuffing him out makes zero sense.

3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Commodore is sooooooo lame. Here's a fun story about him though. Back when I was on Twitter I actually got him to engage with me. He had taken up mountaineering after he retired from the NHL and was training to climb/hike Mount Kilimanjaro. I made a smart ass comment about how if he failed to summit the mountain he'd blame it on Mike Babcock and Commodore seemed to find that pretty funny. There was a little bit of banter between us and then he moved on. Of course it didn't stop him from complaining about Babcock every single change he got after that point, but I do think he's got some levity about the whole thing.

To be fair, guys like you bring up Trump CONSTANTLY. For instance, you just did it to make a point in a hockey forum about two other people that have nothing to do with Trump. So maybe the libs won't let it go because neither will any of you?

I was making an analogy. There was no political affiliation to it, positive or negative. I personally don't care what happens to either one of them. But there are people who hate them both that can't let it go. What I say has nothing to do with it.

59 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Have you guys seen the Winnipeg guy's trade talk yet?  Speculating about Hellebyuck for Husso, Kasper, and our #9 pick.  Dumbest thing Ive ever seen.

According to LGW, Kasper is the chosen one. Why would Hellebyuck be worth that even if it was straight up?

2 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

I was making an analogy. There was no political affiliation to it, positive or negative. I personally don't care what happens to either one of them. But there are people who hate them both that can't let it go. What I say has nothing to do with it.

be quiet

4 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

According to LGW, Kasper is the chosen one. Why would Hellebyuck be worth that even if it was straight up?

He's a #8 OA pick.  He's gotta be decent.

1 minute ago, Axl Foley said:

Let it go, Jonas. Let it go. Orange man and Babs wont be bothering you anymore.

Both never did bother me.  Now stay on topic.

26 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

But you bringing it up is a case of "not letting it go". You could have just said "Commodore is pathetic and Babcock lives rent free in his head". Instead you used an analogy centered on Trump that illustrated the exact opposite point you were trying to make.

"People can't get over Babcock in the same way they can't get over Trump" said the only guy on this board talking about Donald Trump.

14 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

But you bringing it up is a case of "not letting it go". You could have just said "Commodore is pathetic and Babcock lives rent free in his head". Instead you used an analogy centered on Trump that illustrated the exact opposite point you were trying to make.

"People can't get over Babcock in the same way they can't get over Trump" said the only guy on this board talking about Donald Trump.

I was walking about Mike Commodore and Mike Babcock. I was using Trump as a point of reference. Just by my mentioning the name, You have made him the point of discussion. Thank you for proving my point.

Commodore is not the only person with a Babcock beef. He is a polarizing figure in the sport and has many detractors. The hate is bigger than just one guy. I made a real world analogy that fit. Bab haters need to move on and let it go. Not just Commodore. If you can think of another person who makes a better analogy, you are free to share. Or not. 

8 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

I was walking about Mike Commodore and Mike Babcock. I was using Trump as a point of reference. Just by my mentioning the name, You have made him the point of discussion. Thank you for proving my point.

Commodore is not the only person with a Babcock beef. He is a polarizing figure in the sport and has many detractors. The hate is bigger than just one guy. I made a real world analogy that fit. Bab haters need to move on and let it go. Not just Commodore. If you can think of another person who makes a better analogy, you are free to share. Or not. 

You didn't really need an analogy to illustrate your point. You could have made the same point by simply just saying the bolded part. You shoehorned Trump into the conversation and then make an odd accusation that other people can't get over the guy. This despite the fact that you're the only person who mentioned him.

Edit: I also think your whole "why don't people stop talking about two guys who are currently in the news" is an odd position to take as well. One just got hired by an NHL team and the other is running for President. Who should we talk about? Grover Cleveland and Al Arbour?

Edited by kipwinger

7 hours ago, Axl Foley said:

Babcock is the NHL's Trump. No matter how much people hate him, he still wins. 

>Trump lost

7 hours ago, Axl Foley said:

You can criticize his methods, but he still gets results.

>Trump did nothing for 4 years. Didn't even build his promised wall

24 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Im curious to know if Gudreau was informed by Columbus that they would be targeting Babcock.  That's a pretty drastic work environment change.

He seemed to improve as a player under Sutter, so Babs may not be a stretch.  Of course Sutter might have been a factor why he left Calgary.  Dunno, Gaudreau says his Dad was always tough coaching him growing up and that's why he respects demanding coaches.

I think there's probably a difference between being demanding and being a prick right? Like, requiring players to work hard, follow a game plan, don't blow their assignments, etc. and then holding them accountable when they don't do their job might be considered demanding. But I'd be surprised if players thought it was unreasonable. Playing weird mind games with rookies (Marner), arbitrarily benching/scratching established players for marquee games (Chelios, Spezza, Modanao), and verbally belittling players (Franzen) is probably considered unreasonable to most players. Guys wouldn't be in the NHL if they couldn't handle being pushed really hard. But I think most guys have the right to expect their coach not to cross certain lines. FWIW Babcock himself admitted that he steps over the line during an interview he did for the HBO 24/7 series that aired before the Wings/Leafs outdoor game.

28 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I think there's probably a difference between being demanding and being a prick right? Like, requiring players to work hard, follow a game plan, don't blow their assignments, etc. and then holding them accountable when they don't do their job might be considered demanding. But I'd be surprised if players thought it was unreasonable. Playing weird mind games with rookies (Marner), arbitrarily benching/scratching established players for marquee games (Chelios, Spezza, Modanao), and verbally belittling players (Franzen) is probably considered unreasonable to most players. Guys wouldn't be in the NHL if they couldn't handle being pushed really hard. But I think most guys have the right to expect their coach not to cross certain lines. FWIW Babcock himself admitted that he steps over the line during an interview he did for the HBO 24/7 series that aired before the Wings/Leafs outdoor game.

Hey. These are the sacrifices you gotta make if you want to win 1 out of what should have been at least 3 cups during your coaching career.