• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

NHL Network ranked the Top 20 centers in the NHL (see: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-current-players-ranked-top-20-centers/c-345506390)

Larkin was 19th on the list. Here's a list of players ahead of him who I think he's better than (at this point in their careers):

Malkin

Kopitar

Stutzle

Aho

Hischier

Hintz

Petterson

Stutzle is a LW

On 8/10/2023 at 12:22 PM, kipwinger said:

NHL Network ranked the Top 20 centers in the NHL (see: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-current-players-ranked-top-20-centers/c-345506390)

Larkin was 19th on the list. Here's a list of players ahead of him who I think he's better than (at this point in their careers):

Malkin

Kopitar

Stutzle

Aho

Hischier

Hintz

Petterson

Larkin is a top 12 center in the league. Despite never scoring more than a PPG and getting zero Selke votes every year. Trust me. A guy on twitter who thought Zadina was the next Marian Hossa told me the Selke votes are wrong and Larkin is ackxtuealllllyyyy the best defensive center in the league. Kopitar - who actually has hit 90 points and is a perennial Selke candidate? Trash. He doesn't even go fast anymore. And fast is everything in todays league. If you can't speed around like an r-slur for 20 minutes a game you basically suck. Zetterberg would be eaten alive by young mega allstar speedsters like Larkin in todays NHL. Sure you can takeaway Larkins wingers like in 2020-21 and he'll only score 23 pts in 44 games... but in todays game Zetterberg and Malkin probably wouldnt even manage 5 pts in the same scenario. Forget about the fact that Zberg was still putting up huge numbers with abby, cleary, samuelson, and filppula as his linemates. He couldn't do that now. In the LARKIN era.

What a dyanmo... its just total bad luck that this superstar hasnt brought us a cup yet. And because of it he's ranked next to the trash player that is Elias Lindholm by the illustrious and on point nhl.com.

Marco Kasper and Nate Danielson are certainly not going to make Larkin's retardedly big long contract look stupid in the future. Because larkin is not in the same class as Paul Woods and Danny Gare. He's up amongst the lidstroms and yzermans and howes of great red wings players/leaders. Look at all hes accomplished. zero awards but he deserves them all. Just like Jaff Blashill.

I cannot wait for the actually good players that SY has drafted to lift up Larkin and make him look good. Then finally, once good players lead the team, folks will recognize he was an ace all along. And not just a 2C playing mad ice time.

Larkin is love. Larkin is life.

Hossa's goodbye game might be the biggest mixing of Hawks and Wings ever

Wings: Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Tatar, Kopecky, Hudler, Holmstrom, Mrazek, Alfredsson, Lilja

Hawks: Byflugien, Hjalmarsson, Havlat, Sharp, Handzus, Toews, Rosizal, Keith, Darling, Odyua, Kruger

You can tell where this guy made friends. Wings and Hawks. He invited basically none of the penguins lol.

https://sinbin.vegas/jonathan-marchessault-on-the-trade-block-no-way/

Rumblings in Vegas have begun of Marchessault being on the trade block.

He's got one year on his contract left, his value is at an all time high after winning the conn-smythe, and he's expected to go to UFA because of the 2024 UFA watershed. He's also turning 33 this year and will likely start his decline soon. So the Kinghts want to get something for him (roster, not futures) and they want it done early/soon so he is not a distraction for the team.

I don't think he is a good fit for the Wings in a trade - but this could be an interesting story to watch if true.

What Vegas needs: a 2nd pair RHD. Which is exactly what we dont have anyway

11 hours ago, bIueadams said:

https://sinbin.vegas/jonathan-marchessault-on-the-trade-block-no-way/

Rumblings in Vegas have begun of Marchessault being on the trade block.

He's got one year on his contract left, his value is at an all time high after winning the conn-smythe, and he's expected to go to UFA because of the 2024 UFA watershed. He's also turning 33 this year and will likely start his decline soon. So the Kinghts want to get something for him (roster, not futures) and they want it done early/soon so he is not a distraction for the team.

I don't think he is a good fit for the Wings in a trade - but this could be an interesting story to watch if true.

What Vegas needs: a 2nd pair RHD. Which is exactly what we dont have anyway

yah, his timeline fits the Kraken a bit better than ours.

Some fun drama going on with Peters and Aliu again. This morning Peters was announced as Lethbridges new HC. 

Aliu says a current NHL HC reached out to him. The only current HCs that Peters worked with in the past are Babcock and Brindamour. 

Also, earlier this summer Evander Kane quit the hockey diversity alliance that Aliu runs, stating that the group had been co-opted by other members to serve their needs, instead of the groups outlined goals (diversity).

The speculation being that person is Aliu. And hes using the group for his vengance campaign, instead of actually helping diversity.

Some decent drama. I hope it lasts.

1 hour ago, bIueadams said:
Also, earlier this summer Evander Kane quit the hockey diversity alliance that Aliu runs, stating that the group had been co-opted by other members to serve their needs, instead of the groups outlined goals (diversity).

So it's "Black Lives Matter" under a different name.

1 hour ago, Axl Foley said:

So it's "Black Lives Matter" under a different name.

To be fair to Aliu, Kane isnt exactly a very trustworthy guy. They may have wanted him out of the org after all his crap and that was his petty way of leaving. 

I dont care much for Aliu though either. He seems to blame the entirety of his failed career on Peters, despite playing for 20+ orginizations after Peters and being bad on all of them. Why he is the face of the HDA makes no sense. He was a completely irrelevant hockey player. 

Their website all seems like an attention grab from the players behind it, with their likeness's plastered all over it. I tried to check the organization on a charity rater and they literally dont come up. So who knows what they actually do or where the money goes.

Reading more about the HDA,

Not sure how I missed it, but I guess they got pissed off at the NHL a few months ago because the league launched their own diversity and inclusion campaign without them lol. They accused the league of "apropriating" their work and mission.

Like, if youre truly about your cause, and not about power or profit, shouldnt you be happy the league is taking action...? Sounds to me like theyre just pissed off they didnt get handed a seat at the big boys table. Why would the league want to let an outside org thats been hyper critical of them into the inner circle anyway... owners dont want to hand over control of anything by nature.

Best I can tell, all theyve done in the last 3 years since their inception is start a ball hockey league in Toronto lol. Im guessing the league will be able to do a lot more in more areas.

3 hours ago, bIueadams said:

Reading more about the HDA,

Not sure how I missed it, but I guess they got pissed off at the NHL a few months ago because the league launched their own diversity and inclusion campaign without them lol. They accused the league of "apropriating" their work and mission.

Like, if youre truly about your cause, and not about power or profit, shouldnt you be happy the league is taking action...? Sounds to me like theyre just pissed off they didnt get handed a seat at the big boys table. Why would the league want to let an outside org thats been hyper critical of them into the inner circle anyway... owners dont want to hand over control of anything by nature.

Best I can tell, all theyve done in the last 3 years since their inception is start a ball hockey league in Toronto lol. Im guessing the league will be able to do a lot more in more areas.

Aliu seems to be a disgruntled hockey player who truly believes that he isn't playing in the NHL because of racism. And the program he is running seems to be less about DEI in hockey, and more about validation/confirmation of his belief.

It isn't surprising tho since social activism these days is more about validation of one's own truth, instead of acceptance of actual truth.

Edited by Axl Foley

1 hour ago, Akakabuto said:

https://x.com/br_openice/status/1699156610101510538?s=46&t=JxEbYPU8e6g9RkL90J2iZg

What say you?

edit: this site apparently doesn’t embed tweets now when the adress starts with x.com. Damn you, Elon!

I would assume that it would be on a major call not simple slashing etc. Something along the lines of asking Devorski why didn't he boot out players after the melee?

Or the ref the night Jamie Benn went to town on Larkin's neck and why didnt you call something. 

If it's about major sheet I am good with that.

After watching the Netflix on the referee's ability to influence games at certain times a certain way(for his gambling) might stop anything from brewing. 

Edited by AtlantaHotWings
more info

1 hour ago, Akakabuto said:

https://x.com/br_openice/status/1699156610101510538?s=46&t=JxEbYPU8e6g9RkL90J2iZg

What say you?

edit: this site apparently doesn’t embed tweets now when the adress starts with x.com. Damn you, Elon!

I like the accountability but I worry that it would just result in refs putting their whistles in their pockets instead of making better decisions when calling penalties. It's easier to defend doing nothing than doing making the wrong call.

Obviously Hughes would have been a better pick than Zadina, but with that said I'm glad we're not paying 8 million dollars to a defender that can't defend against top players very well. Plus we just got that exact same player type in Axel Sandin Pellikka. Just watch, dude's going to be just as good as Quinn. PLUS...his name is Axel. How awesome is that?!

39 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Obviously Hughes would have been a better pick than Zadina, but with that said I'm glad we're not paying 8 million dollars to a defender that can't defend against top players very well. Plus we just got that exact same player type in Axel Sandin Pellikka. Just watch, dude's going to be just as good as Quinn. PLUS...his name is Axel. How awesome is that?!

Only thing I hate about not having a Hughes is not having all 3 Hugheses potential.

Apparently owner of the Sabres said "if black players dont like it here (the Bills) they can go back to Africa and see how they like it there"

Wow just wow

Sabres should be stripped of Tage Thompson for this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F51pLboW8AAQ16p?format=jpg&name=small

statement from Pegula

I'd like to lean on the back of this guys neck and see how he likes it