• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

So, we're nearing the halfway mark of the season. Who is your pick for MVP of the team thus far?

I say Howard, without any real doubt. Datsyuk has been great, Filppula has been quite good, and everyone else save Ericsson and Kindl has been playing notably well, but Howard has really been outstanding. He's clearly possessed of enormous confidence this season. As much as I hate to make this comparison, the sort of confident swagger he's got reminds me of Patrick Roy a bit (without the dickheadedness, naturally).

#2 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

No doubt in my mind -Howard

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#3 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

Jimmy MVP and Nick a very close runner-up.

Pavel, Fil and White deserve some serious recognition for their play as well.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#4 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:28 PM

1.Howard
2.Datsyuk
3.Lidstrom

For us to win our division and be a legit threat in the playoffs, Henrik Z. has to be up there by the end of the season.

bringit.jpg

#5 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

1. Lidstrom
2. Datsyuk
3. Howard

Jimmy Howard has been extremely solid for the Wings all season long, but I don't think he is our best. Watching every game, it seems as though Nick is still the guy for the Wings. Out in all situations, always in the right spot, controlling the flow of the game for the Wings, making the right passes and, most importantly, keeping things going for the Wings. IMO everything he does exemplifies what this team is about, which is illustrated by his desire to compete his absolute best and win. To me, he is still our best player.

I picked Pavel as a close number 2 because, like Nick, Pavel is one of the few that show up night in and night out. He did not have a great start offensively, but he was still giving it his all, backchecking well and doing all the little things. And quite a while ago he picked it up offensively and he is right up there with the lead leaders, and is throwing his body around, winning faceoofs, and is dominant every single shift.

I picked Jimmy for 3 because, even though he has been absolutely outstanding, I do not think he has "won" as many games for the wings as people make it out to be. He is definitely doing his job better than all other goalies, but I still do not think he is our best player.

#6 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:49 PM

For a nice change of pace, today I swim with the tide and hop on the Howie Bandwagon. Not only has he been consistently playing lights out, he has a fire in his belly. It's a spark the Wings desperately need. Can't wait to see the pugilist in him come out again, preferrably against HWSNBN.
No offense to Nick - he certainly helps Howie greatly to perform his job and I will take to my bed and weep inconsolably for weeks on end upon his retirement, but at this moment in time, Jimmah is the man.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#7 Kindl Surprise

Kindl Surprise

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:11 AM

Yea Jimbo's really stepped it up this year. You can see how passionate he is, like Vladdy said, he's got a spark to him.

Edited by Kindl Surprise, 28 December 2011 - 01:11 AM.

#8 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:26 AM

1) Howard
2) Lidstrom
3) Datsyuk

4) White
5) Filppula

Edited by egroen, 28 December 2011 - 01:27 AM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#9 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:42 AM

It starts with Jimmy and ends in Howard.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#10 Norwegian Red Wing

Norwegian Red Wing

He shoots - He SCOOORES!

• HoF Booster
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:49 AM

Jimmy Howard. No doubt. He has been rock solid between the pipes.
Posted Image

#11 OzWing19

OzWing19

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:29 AM

Jimmy. He's been so strong that I can't remember the last bad goal he let in. Seems like most of the goals we've let in have been a result of tips, screens or odd man rushes with the occasional 2-on-0 thanks to a bad pinch... or crazy bouncy pucks.

He's been money.

#12 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:34 AM

Without a doubt. Jimmy Howard thus far. If he can keep this pace up (probably won't though) he will eclipse the single season win record held by Brodeur at 48 wins. I think right now that Jimmy is on pace to win around 58 games....not bad for Goalie A.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#13 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

It appears we have a unaminous decision here, Jimmy without a doubt deserves it so far. If they gave awards out half way it'd be his...He doesnt care though, he'll take his in june :rolleyes:

Edited by 13dangledangle, 28 December 2011 - 09:35 AM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#14 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

1. Datsyuk
2. Howard
3. Lidstrom
4, Filppula
5. White

#15 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

1. Howard
2. Datsyuk
3. Lidstrom

Everyone else save Ericsson has been playing well, though Zetterberg has struggled a bit. Abdelkader and Helm play well but don't seem as effective as they have been in the past, but I'm sure they'll kick it up a notch. Flip has been great and been the surprise this season, but he's not carrying games like the three I picked.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#16 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:31 AM

Howard for sure. He's definitely kept in a few games and has had to step up when the rest of the team was playing like crap. Without him we would not be where we are in the standings.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#17 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

I have to say Jim Howard, but there's a real close run for the top from Pasha (of course), Ian White and Flip, and I have to also include a tip of the hat to Drew Miller. He's been one of the unsung heroes.
Posted Image

#18 ace76

ace76

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

HOWARD for sure , and that's why they need to protect him from getting run all the time. With out Howie we are mediocre because all of our forwards aren't firing on all cylinders right now. When they do look out NHL. Sooo much talent on this team minus a couple players.

#19 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

Jimmy howards point totals aren't where they need to be, but I'm glad to see he has quite the physical edge. Normally I'd go with Lidas or Datsyuk, but even though Jimmy might be lacking in the secondary scoring, his other stats are eye poppin'.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#20 sandyeggo wingnut

sandyeggo wingnut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

Jimmy howards point totals aren't where they need to be, but I'm glad to see he has quite the physical edge. Normally I'd go with Lidas or Datsyuk, but even though Jimmy might be lacking in the secondary scoring, his other stats are eye poppin'.

Dammit jimmy get off the ball and score more! Stop being such a lazy ass and staying in our own zone the entire game! :D