• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

Kopecky Suckerpunches Del Zotto

Rate this topic

Anyone see highlights from the Florida/New York game? I'll try to post a link to the video.

Basically, Kopecky suckerpunched Del Zotto, and then he had to deal with an angry Mike Rupp. You can guess what happened next.

Now I'm wondering if Kopecky will be suspended for that punch. Apparently Rupp didn't get the instigator. That would have resulted in a suspension from the Winter Classic if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I'm not sure on the rules on this, but surely you can't just pull a guy out of the refs hands and start pummelling him? If Kopecky gets a suspension for the sucker punch, surely Rupp has to get one as well for jumping Kopecky like that?

If you're going to cross-check a guy in the head, you'd better damn well expect the guy to be a little angry about it and not be surprised when he punches you in the face. Bad on Kopy for punching a guy with his gloves on. Bad on Del Zotto for not expecting one in the face. And I wouldn't be surprised if Rupp got a game or two for his actions, however admirable they may be. You can't grab a guy that the linesman is holding onto a start beating him senseless. Not even if it's Kopecky.

If you're going to battle right in front of the net, you're gonna get cross checked. That's hockey. It may not be Red Wings hockey which obviously shocks a few people here, but it's the standard way of clearing the crease.

Suckerpunching a guy is classless. If you're mad, drop the gloves and fight, don't blindside a guy.

Good on Rupp for making Kopecky cower in an actual fight.

Has anyone figured out how to pronounce his name yet? I guess since all the announcers call him "Kopetsky" that must be it, but then I wonder...why not just spell it that way? Haha.

Both were at fault. Although Del Zotto seemed to go down pretty easily.

I don't know...getting sucker punched can do that to a guy on skates.

Great enforcing by Rupp. Del Zotto wasn't innocent, but IMO a suckerpunch is rarely (if ever) warranted. If Kopecky was that upset, he should have dropped his gloves and fought. To me, these incidents are evidence of when fighting can be the safer alternative.

Rupp was smart not to throw a punch until the ref had released Kopecky. IMO that detail should be enough for Rupp to not be suspended.

If you're going to battle right in front of the net, you're gonna get cross checked. That's hockey. It may not be Red Wings hockey which obviously shocks a few people here, but it's the standard way of clearing the crease.

Suckerpunching a guy is classless. If you're mad, drop the gloves and fight, don't blindside a guy.

Agreed, you should get crosschecked if your in front of the oppositions net...in your center of mass. It looks to me like Del Zotto's right hand/butt end caught Kopecky in the neck/face, causing his helmet to come off. I would've suckerpunched him at that point to.

Take one in the face, give one in the face.

Rupp did his job though, so good enough IMO.

I think everyone acted as they should. del zotto got way up high on kopecky with that cross check that knocked off his helmet. so i think the punch was warranted. in that same vein, thats why he got tackled and then pummeled. though i am with you guys in wondering if rupp will get disciplined for going after a guy that was already being restrained by an official.

Has anyone figured out how to pronounce his name yet? I guess since all the announcers call him "Kopetsky" that must be it, but then I wonder...why not just spell it that way? Haha.

"Kopetsky" would be correct. In many Slavic languages, the letter 'c' without an accent makes a 'ts' sound. So Kopecky would sound like "Kopetsky"

He cross checked him in the head, way high. That was probably more dangerous than the sucker punch. Suckers punches are weak, but if he got me in the head with a cross check like that I'd have done the same thing. Del Zotto didn't drop the gloves before whacking Kopy in the head, why should Kopy have to do any different?