23 replies to this topic

#1 Diluvian04

Diluvian04

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

This is a topic brought up on XM92.

It's between the Rangers and Red Wings and the Wings are winning.

Which team do you believe is America's team?
All business, all class and no chumps.

#2 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

This is a topic brought up on XM92.

It's between the Rangers and Red Wings and the Wings are winning.

Which team do you believe is America's team?
All business, all class and no chumps.

It has to be one of those teams. I think the Rangers benefit from being from New York (America's city), but the Wings I think generally have a larger fanbase, but I'm not sure on this one.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#3 SidAbelsSon

SidAbelsSon

Rookie

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

Wings are americas team, no doubt about it. All you have to do is compare the fans in opposing rinks. There is a lot more red in those crowds. Hard to argue with the Lets go Red Wings chant heard at away games...

#4 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,568 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

When it comes to success and dynasty's no doubt Detroit takes the win, BUT New York is the mecca of everything entertainment, so, even though they haven't accomplished jack since 1994, they would still be given the title of America's Team.....by the media only. The fans know differently.

As a matter of fact if the media would vote, Detroit would more than likely be third behind NY and Chicago.

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#5 NoZoL

NoZoL

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

I love the Wings so much that I'd rather them *not* be called that. Success breeds contempt anyway, there's no need to make it any worse by trying to making them a poster-team for the league (even though they certainly are deserving). Those of us who are not Dallas Cowboys fans will recall how much we hated being force-fed the 'America's Team' garbage for years, and I don't like them to this day largely due to that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I had the idea that I should beat up every player I tangled with, and nothing ever convinced me it wasn't a good idea." - Ted Lindsay

#6 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Well it is hockey town and I think they should leave it like that
IPB Image

#7 ronsolo3

ronsolo3

Who's Your Datty?

• 28 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

From my perspective in a non-hockey market (Houston), The Wings are definitely America's team. Not a lot of hockey fans down here but I always seem to run into Wings fans. We went to a game in Dallas last month and the place was FULL of wings fans. I just don't see the Ranger love like that...not down here anyway.

#8 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

Not if Bettman has any say in it. Steel City all the way! Or maybe Phoenix.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#9 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

The Rangers have the team colors and an American captain.

#10 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

Condensing my answer to one word without getting into a debate: Yes.

Posted Image

#11 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

I guess I'd have to honestly say... I don't get the question?

While I am a die hard Wings fan, the Wings don't get enough national media coverage for Americans to think of the Wings as "Americas Team". As much as I'll get negged for saying so, I'd probably say in terms of the team most Americans have heard of, probably Chicago or Pittsburgh would be my guess. Rangers and Wings would be next up.

But then again, like I said, I don't really understand the question, so maybe I am using a different set of criteria.

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,639 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

There's no such thing as America's team in any sport.

Some teams have more fans than others, but there's too many fanbases to proclaim a team as representing the whole country or something. Especially when it's a sport that Americans put behind the other sports.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#13 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

If you think of it in a sense of having the most displaced or transplanted fans around the country...then yes.

But, I hate the term "America's team". Because the Wings happen to be in America, why should any bandwagon American hockey fan be able to call them "their" team if they advance deep into the playoffs?

They're "our" team---whether we're Wings fans in Detroit, Phoenix, London, or Tokyo...it doesn't matter--they're "our" team. The team belongs to true Detroit Red Wings fans. No potential marketing gimmick such as "America's team" can change that. You heard "Canada's team" in the Finals last year, but I doubt any true Leafs, Flames or Habs fans were rooting for the 'Nucks. So the term doesn't really make sense and is kind of silly for real fans.

I love the Wings so much that I'd rather them *not* be called that. Success breeds contempt anyway, there's no need to make it any worse by trying to making them a poster-team for the league (even though they certainly are deserving). Those of us who are not Dallas Cowboys fans will recall how much we hated being force-fed the 'America's Team' garbage for years, and I don't like them to this day largely due to that.

My sentiments exactly.

Edited by Nevermind, 17 February 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#14 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

Detroit is Hockeytown. New York is Baseballtown...and heck, it can be Footballtown for all I care, but Hockeytown? I don't think so. New York is the center of the universe for a lot of things, but you have to earn that. I don't see the titles, the hardcore and widespread following, or the modern day heroes that stand as tall in the fans' eyes as heroes past. Nope, none of that.

Also, being the center of the universe works against them a little - they're known for so many things that it's hard for a hockey team to stand out. Hockey in Detroit, on the other hand, is like beaches in Southern California. It's what we DO. As an outsider myself, I've seen it - even out here where ice is for little trays in my freezer, and white Christmases are only in a song, we KNOW. If you want hockey, you get it in Detroit. End of story.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#15 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

If you remember, about 10 years ago or so when Sports Illustrated turned fifty they had an issue looking at all fifty states and their poll numbers as it comes to all sports, athletes, coaches, etc.

Pretty much every State that had a Sports team would have that sports team ranked a higher percentage than any other team in terms of favourite team, as you would expect. Almost every single state without a team had the Wings as the most liked NHL team, and most states had them in second place if they had a team.

The other leagues had similar numbers with the Cowboys, Yankees, and Lakers.

I think it is clear we are in that spot, at least back then. I doubt that it changed much. Although where Yzerman was the most liked athelete then in the NHL, it might be Crosby now.

I really made myself sick with all these statements. Obviously those teams disgust me. For the record none of them run their team as well as the Wings. They are different sports with different issues but the Wings actually scout.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#16 AceInTheSleeve

AceInTheSleeve

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

Although where Yzerman was the most liked athelete then in the NHL, it might be Crosby now.

On the contrary, I'm pretty sure outside of Pittsburgh Crosby might actually be the most disliked NHL athlete.

Yzerman was liked not because of his skill-set, but because of his attitude - which is not something these two have in common.

Edited by AceInTheSleeve, 17 February 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#17 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

New York is Baseballtown...

How 'bout "Jetertown"?

On the contrary, I'm pretty sure outside of Pittsburgh Crosby might actually be the most disliked NHL athlete.

I agree.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#18 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Yzerman was liked not because of his skill-set, but because of his attitude - which is not something these two have in common.

Well... that is just the thing. Crosby is one of the most liked players... and the most hated.

Because that is always the case. I would bet money that if you asked everyone in Detroit who their fave player who isn't on the Wings is... and their least favourite. I would bet money that Crosby makes the top three on both of those lists.

And team wise, I bet money the Wings are the most hated and most loved team. Big figures are polarizing like that.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#19 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,568 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Detroit is Hockeytown. New York is Baseballtown...and heck, it can be Footballtown for all I care, but Hockeytown? I don't think so. New York is the center of the universe for a lot of things, but you have to earn that. I don't see the titles, the hardcore and widespread following, or the modern day heroes that stand as tall in the fans' eyes as heroes past. Nope, none of that.

Also, being the center of the universe works against them a little - they're known for so many things that it's hard for a hockey team to stand out. Hockey in Detroit, on the other hand, is like beaches in Southern California. It's what we DO. As an outsider myself, I've seen it - even out here where ice is for little trays in my freezer, and white Christmases are only in a song, we KNOW. If you want hockey, you get it in Detroit. End of story.

I think cprice and the other 5000 Blues fans may argue and disagree with your statement...

If you remember, about 10 years ago or so when Sports Illustrated turned fifty they had an issue looking at all fifty states and their poll numbers as it comes to all sports, athletes, coaches, etc.

Pretty much every State that had a Sports team would have that sports team ranked a higher percentage than any other team in terms of favourite team, as you would expect. Almost every single state without a team had the Wings as the most liked NHL team, and most states had them in second place if they had a team.

The other leagues had similar numbers with the Cowboys, Yankees, and Lakers.

I think it is clear we are in that spot, at least back then. I doubt that it changed much. Although where Yzerman was the most liked athelete then in the NHL, it might be Crosby now.

I really made myself sick with all these statements. Obviously those teams disgust me. For the record none of them run their team as well as the Wings. They are different sports with different issues but the Wings actually scout.

....again...I think cprice and the other 5000 Blues fans may argue and disagree with your statement...

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#20 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

I don't think the Red Wings are America's team. I feel the way people from Michigan and Detroit relate to their hockey team is completely different from the way the rest of the country does. Being from the area (or being a transplant) comes with a certain pride and passion for your local teams that's pretty unique and hard to describe. Part of it comes from the fact that the local economy has been suffering and watching sports is a tremendous outlet for people in the community. I think if we call Detroit America's team, then you're sort of devaluing that special relationship. I think New York, Chicago, or Boston would be more appropriate. Or maybe I'm just being a snob about my favorite team. I don't know. I think they're Detroit's team.

Edited by The Nephilim, 18 February 2012 - 10:37 PM.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.