Photo
- - - - -

So who could the Red Wings get in the offseason?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Zonly1

Zonly1

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

Ugh...didn't the trade deadline just pass? Are we already going to start speculating on free agency now?

Would you rather talk about the teams awesome play as of late?

#22 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

A scorer, stud dman, and a few physical depth players with some size ...

Not that this pertains to this summer - but a juicy tidbit nonethless: A buddy of mine (whom I still train with in the offseason) who plays in the AHL and played on the Kelowna Rockets with Shea in his WHL days told me that Weber said last summer that if he hits free agency the team he would most like to go to would be Detroit.

...of course, summer 2013 is a long way off - and remaining a contender going forward will be a key part of making this team attractive for UFA's because the weather and the stereotypes surrounding the city certainly wont be the selling points.

#23 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

Ugh...didn't the trade deadline just pass? Are we already going to start speculating on free agency now?

I started the thread to just get an idea of what would be possible since I'm not very good with the salary cap. I can't say I didn't see it going into free agent discussion but I didn't intend for it to happen
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#24 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

Would you rather talk about the teams awesome play as of late?

To tell the truth, yes, yes I would. Want to know why? Because at least the games we've played lately have actually happened. So I can say factual things about them and not have to speculate about who Kenny's going to sign, and for what money, and how they'd fit on the team. Which is all just made up gibberish, and it never pans out anyway. NOBODY on this board ever correctly guessed that the Wings would sign White, Commodore, or trade for Quincey. Not one person (including myself), for all the talking that took place. So all this speculation is just sort of like fantasy hockey...or masturbation.

Edited by kipwinger, 22 March 2012 - 08:41 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#25 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

Had a little play on Capgeek.com and the situation I see it is this.

Assuming: Cap stays roughly the same. Hudler, Holmstrom and Stuart are not re-signed. Lidstrom, Abdelkader and Helm are re-signed for ~ $9M total, leaves us with ~ $7-8M in cap space to try and sign 1 big UFA (Weber or Parise).

If we want to sign Nash or Suter (RFA) we're going to need to clear another $7-8M in cap space, the easiest way being to trade Franzen and Ericson for one of them as part of package.

so...

FORWARDS
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m)
Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Shea Weber ($7.300m)
Ian White ($2.875m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.350m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,287,500; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $12,500

Pav needs a bona-fide sniper alongside him, whether it be Parise or Nash. Hossa and Shanahan had 40 goal seasons being fed by Pav, Hull had 30 and 37. 'nuff said.

Ah yes a team without that lazydick Franzen.
  • Nev likes this

#26 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

To tell the truth, yes, yes I would. Want to know why? Because at least the games we've played lately have actually happened. So I can say factual things about them and not have to speculate about who Kenny's going to sign, and for what money, and how they'd fit on the team. Which is all just made up gibberish, and it never pans out anyway. NOBODY on this board ever correctly guessed that the Wings would sign White, Commodore, or trade for Quincey. Not one person (including myself), for all the talking that took place. So all this speculation is just sort of like fantasy hockey...or masturbation.

Yep, and as much as I would love to see Franzen traded for someone that gives a s*** I know it will never happen. If I was the owner of this team number one on Holland's to do list would have been to trade the dickhead after he made the remark that he "GETS BORED" during the regular season.

#27 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Not sure what will happen with the cap so im not gonna speculate players we will acquire. But here are a few things we can control that i want to see:
Homer retires
Cleary traded (not worth 3 mill and aging)
Hudler gone
Smith up full time
Nyquist up full time top 6

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Not sure what will happen with the cap so im not gonna speculate players we will acquire. But here are a few things we can control that i want to see:
Homer retires
Hudler gone
Smith up full time

They aren't going to trade Cleary. The management loves him and he's the epitome of a team guy. No way management trades him because of one down year, largely the result of injury. I'd try to resign Hudler if I could get him at the same money or less, but barring injury he'd never play in the top six again. If not, oh well. I agree with you on the other points though.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#29 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

Homer retires
Hudler gone
Smith up full time

If homer goes I have to believe liddy will aswell...I can't want this.

#30 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

If homer goes I have to believe liddy will aswell...I can't want this.

I was actually talking about that with a friend last night and we both thought the same thing. I'm not sure how that would play out, but it does seem plausible, and I must say that I want Lids to come back more then I want Homer to retire.

#31 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

K well if u wanna see homer sit in the press box he can return. Hes not contributing enough anymore. Cleary is going to have continuing injury issues and should be traded imo. There are players available for less money that are more effective now. Hudler is pathetic. He should be gone.

#32 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

K well if u wanna see homer sit in the press box he can return. Hes not contributing enough anymore. Cleary is going to have continuing injury issues and should be traded imo. There are players available for less money that are more effective now. Hudler is pathetic. He should be gone.

Whom is going to take a trade for a player that has known horrible medical history with his knee? I mean, the dude can barely get up stairs some days... I just don't see us shipping or someone taking that contract off of our hands. Hudler MAY be traded, depends on the potential seen by the front office and if they're content with his stay. I feel like homer would have a giant impact on Lidstroms return. And honestly, I don't care how much people talk s*** about homer, that boy busts his balls each and every night. The best image last night was straight off the face off homer just charging the crease not giving nay f*** was in his way. The boys a demolition man, and called rightfully so. You don't know how much you miss something until its gone, and how much heart and dedication that man puts in night after night... you'll miss something like that.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#33 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

1. What makes you think Cleary's going to have nagging injury problems? Pretty sure that's the team doctor's job 2. I'll keep Homer to keep Lidstrom 3. If I can get Hudler for below market value he'd be an asset come trade deadline time.

Edited by kipwinger, 22 March 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#34 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

What makes you think he's going to have nagging injury problems?

Because he hasnt played over 74 games in a season for the wings and the last two years missed significant time with injury.

#35 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

Because he hasnt played over 74 games in a season for the wings and the last two years missed significant time with injury.

Last year he broke his ankle after a Brad Stuart slap shot hit him. Don't make it sound like it's some recurring problem.

Now that I think about it, you're right. We should trade Cleary (610 games played since 02) for someone like Gaustad (485 games played since 02) or Steve Ott (558 games played since 02) or Travis Moen (570 games played since 03). All of those guys would be better because they are a good blend of grit and scoring and give you versatility on any line. Plus they never, ever, get injured because of their physical play. All of those are things that you can't say about Cleary.

Edited by kipwinger, 22 March 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#36 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Big, tough bottom sixer -- When pigs fly
Goal-scorer -- When hell freezes over
High-end d-man -- If we lose both Nick and Stuart

[/buzzkill]

Don't Toews me, bro!

#37 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

Last year he broke his ankle after a Brad Stuart slap shot hit him. Don't make it sound like it's some recurring problem.

Now that I think about it, you're right. We should trade Cleary (610 games played since 02) for someone like Gaustad (485 games played since 02) or Steve Ott (558 games played since 02) or Travis Moen (570 games played since 03). All of those guys would be better because they are a good blend of grit and scoring and give you versatility on any line. Plus they never, ever, get injured because of their physical play. All of those are things that you can't say about Cleary.

Lol when did i sugget those guys? I was thinking a griff or a ufa scorer if holland mans up.

#38 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

I'm just wondering who you think we're going to get who's as useful as a healthy Cleary, and who plays more than he does? Those were just some popular names I figured I'd throw out for comparison.

#39 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,816 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

A scorer, stud dman, and a few physical depth players with some size ...

Not that this pertains to this summer - but a juicy tidbit nonethless: A buddy of mine (whom I still train with in the offseason) who plays in the AHL and played on the Kelowna Rockets with Shea in his WHL days told me that Weber said last summer that if he hits free agency the team he would most like to go to would be Detroit.

...of course, summer 2013 is a long way off - and remaining a contender going forward will be a key part of making this team attractive for UFA's because the weather and the stereotypes surrounding the city certainly wont be the selling points.

All the more important to sign Suter this off season...that would put Detroit in the front running for Weber if you becomes a UFA.

But if Lids retires...then if Holland was able to land Suter, Parise AND Semin this team would be ten times better without Franzen.

edit: A million times better I should say

Edited by LeftWinger, 22 March 2012 - 04:33 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#40 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

He's not available in the off-season but would a dman pairing of Kronwall-Weber be the most feared hitting duo on the back end?