• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

It's time to take the pulse of Wings Nation... What do you guys think, will #5 give it another go?

#2 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

He will return for another year. The Wings will reload and retool. The Winter Classic is in Ann Arbor. He has a lot left in the tank. Holland will sign him for another run.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#3 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

No. Body language says a lot. He looked defeated, just like Yzerman did in '06. It wasn't the "we just lost and I'm upset" look, either. We f***ed him over just like we f***ed over Steve.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#4 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

I WANT him to.
I don't know of he will

#5 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

Going by his body language I'm leaning towards hes done.

#6 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Want him back so bad, but gotta feeling he's done. Doesn't wanna play for unless the team is serious about being a TRUE contender, which right now i doubt Holland will put us in that situation.
  • Nev likes this

#7 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

didnt see his body language but I say its a wrap. Why would he want to play on a team that keeps blowing it. Wont be back unless holland mixes s*** up good.

only other reason hell be back 24/7 winter classic. thats all.

#8 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

Honestly, I'd like to see him retire. I have fantastic memories of Lidstrom's career and I want to remember him near his best rather than watch him slowly turn human.

#9 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

I voted no, not sure if Lidstrom is physically and mentally committed to going through the grind of another full season. It would be friggin amazing if they did the retirement ceremony at the winter classic.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#10 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

He'll retire in 2014 when he's 44. That's the ideal age for him to retire imo.

bringit.jpg

#11 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 778 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Very unfortunately have to vote no, I don't think he's coming back. Mainly because Nick will not return unless he thinks he can be the type of defensemen and hockey player he knows he can be and has been his whole career. Something just seemed off towards the end. I hope he was just injured or something. That's what we're all hoping, for him to come back. But I wish him a clear head in his decision and thank him for all he's done for this franchise as I have grown up with him.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#12 Gusto

Gusto

Rookie

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

How does one differentiate 'I am retiring from hockey', body language from 'We just got eliminated from the playoffs' body language?

#13 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

I want him back if he's willing to take 3 mill (by which I mean if Holland is willing to give him less) but if not then so long, Captain. It'll be hard to see him go either way. I've never seen a Red Wings team without #5
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#14 cvv8

cvv8

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

I voted yes.
While you may take his body language as him not having anything left in the tank, I saw it as him being upset that he wasn't able to do as much as he would like to help the team due to his lingering injury. And while that doesn't bode well for his recovering from any injury next year, he's been pretty damn good at keeping himself healthy this far.

#15 RedFlag85

RedFlag85

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

He'll be back if Holland can guarantee that we'll pick up some help. *cough Parise/Suter cough*.

He'll be back, and if not I'm humbled to say I saw his last game at The Joe.

#16 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

I want him back if he's willing to take 3 mill (by which I mean if Holland is willing to give him less) but if not then so long, Captain. It'll be hard to see him go either way. I've never seen a Red Wings team without #5

Yzerman took 1.2 his last year...just sayin'. The long time serving member of the team should also care about where the team is headed after he hangs em' up and if he wants to go out on top, he needs to take a severe discount and make it so Holland can sign some actual talent ala Parise, not resign that slow piece of s*** Hudler.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#17 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

I see him pushing the Wings brass into really doing something this year and making a final push.

Seems to me that his defeat was to much of dead weight and an injury that eventually will be healed. Not Stevie Y who was basically just trying to keep his body together enough for the team. It would really help if he took a real discount instead of just a mill, like one more year at 3/4mill.

Edited by ben_usmc, 20 April 2012 - 11:23 PM.

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#18 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

I voted yes.
While you may take his body language as him not having anything left in the tank, I saw it as him being upset that he wasn't able to do as much as he would like to help the team due to his lingering injury. And while that doesn't bode well for his recovering from any injury next year, he's been pretty damn good at keeping himself healthy this far.

+1

#19 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

God I hope so...

Posted Image

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#20 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

I'm thinking he's not coming back. The team has been in decline since we won the Cup in '08 and I don't think he'll want to put his 42 year old body through another season if the team is a 5th seed and/or getting knocked out of the playoffs. Holland needs to generate some interest and motivate him to play another year. Does that mean trade for Alfredsson? Sign a big name defenseman so he plays on the second pairing? Make a huge trade like we did in 01 with Hasek? I don't know. Holland has his work cut out for him this off season.