• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedFX

25 Games for Torres

Rate this topic

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

raffi torres - a nobody, repeat offender, 25 game suspension

byron bitz - ??? 2 games

carl hagelin - got some skill, nobody knows him, so 3 games

matt carkner - well, boyle had it coming, 1 game

james neal - too much talent, 1 game

aaron asham - repeat offender, won't be missed, 4 games

craig adams - instigator in last 5 minutes = automatic 1 gamer

andrew shaw - won't be missed, 3 games

nicklas backstrom - too much talent, 1 game

see, too many people know who weber is, and he's too important to the team/league. so, NO GAMES FOR YOU!

...and it was against the Wings in a playoff game. Duh! :P

You could add:

Malkin - instigator in last 5 minutes = Rescinded

Edited by MidMichSteve

Guest Heaten

What comes to my mind is the fact that Coyotes are the losers because he's a good playoff player to have on the ice. Think about it, GMs are going to need to look at players track records before signing them as an UFA because losing them to suspensions hurts the team. Who cares about Torres, he's always been a ******, but he's the type of player Red Wings could use in the Nashville series. He's just reckless like Matt Cooke (though I think Matt Cooke is more reckless).

So does this mean when Holland (or any other GM) are shopping UFA, are they going to stay clear of players because of their past? Does this mean if Ovechkin becomes available on the trading block, GMs stay clear of him because of his past? Ovie could be one bad hit away from a 5-10 gamer.

Holy crap that's ridiculously high, and I hate Torres. The hit was suspension-worthy, but it wasn't one of the worst hits I've seen this year. 25 games is ridiculous. I've liked Shanny so far but it's either nothing or too much with him lately.

Holy crap that's ridiculously high, and I hate Torres. The hit was suspension-worthy, but it wasn't one of the worst hits I've seen this year. 25 games is ridiculous. I've liked Shanny so far but it's either nothing or too much with him lately.

Yeah, you could say other guys have gotten 1 game suspensions for the same type of hit.

There's definitely a lot of inconsistency from Shanahan in these playoffs. He seems to have no clue what he's doing.

But still, it's hard to feel bad for a dirtbag like Torres.

I don't know how anyone can say this is too harsh. No one in the entire league has the kind of head-hunting track record Torres has over the past few years. He's shown over and over that he's always on the lookout for a chance to knock another player out of the game. He's a classless punk and deserves every minute of this suspension.

Shanny has said many times that past history is a big factor in determining the severity of suspensions.

Sure Shanahan should have suspended Weber for at least 1 game but this is Raffi Torres a guy known for dirty hits targeting the head. He could have dished out a very severe maybe even career ending injury so I'm absolutely fine with that one. Torres just doesn't get the message he is only a real coward hate this guy. Just wonder how long the next suspension will be 50 75?

The swf explained really well why it was that long and justified so.

His history and Hossa's injury is what warranted this. I don't have a problem with this decision, he had to be taught a lesson. The part I didn't like was how they emphasized he broke several rules. Most bad hits break several rules but they just call one. As for all the other inconsistencies in the bans, well that's probably best to be kept in another thread.

His history and Hossa's injury is what warranted this. I don't have a problem with this decision, he had to be taught a lesson. The part I didn't like was how they emphasized he broke several rules. Most bad hits break several rules but they just call one. As for all the other inconsistencies in the bans, well that's probably best to be kept in another thread.

Exactly. We don't need to hear about how Shanny dropped the ball by not suspending Weber in every f***in' suspension discussion. We get it. Weber should've been suspended. But this one Shanny got right. Torres is the poster boy for s*** like this.

esteef

Viewed as a single suspension this is the right move. Torres is a repeated headhunter and dirty player. He goes out there trying to injure guys and needs a wake up call. The fine and suspension earlier this season clearly didn't do that.

Looked at in the context of the playoffs it's just another example of shanny being wildly inconsistent especially where star players are concerned.

The real tone will be set when he actually suspends a Neal or Oveckin same as he would a 4th liner.

After seeing Shanahans compilation of all the Torres-stupidity - I think this serves him right.

I originally voted "too harsh" before I watched the suspension video, after it I went back, deleted my vote, and voted just right. This idiot deserved it.

major problem with this is that both Neal and Weber are repeat offenders themselves. They already demonstrated they may have lose their cool and try to injure people. What Torres do is indeed worse but basing desicion on repeat offending and taking into account this precedent those two guys had to be suspended for approximately 10 games.

I don't know how anyone can say this is too harsh. No one in the entire league has the kind of head-hunting track record Torres has over the past few years. He's shown over and over that he's always on the lookout for a chance to knock another player out of the game. He's a classless punk and deserves every minute of this suspension.

Shanny has said many times that past history is a big factor in determining the severity of suspensions.

I'll say it - the penalty was to harsh. You are right Torres has a history of bad hits, but One could argue that this one was not one of them.

I have seen Kronwall make nearly identical hits to the one laid on Hossa.

5-10 games though would have been fine with me. 25 though? Come on man, you can't be seriously defending this decision.

I'll say it - the penalty was to harsh. You are right Torres has a history of bad hits, but One could argue that this one was not one of them.

I have seen Kronwall make nearly identical hits to the one laid on Hossa.

5-10 games though would have been fine with me. 25 though? Come on man, you can't be seriously defending this decision.

Kronwall has had questionable hits where he jumped into them in the pre-head shot focused NHL, but since then he has made an effort to keep his skates on the ice which is proven by the lack of punishment he has received. And he always hits the player with the puck, unlike the majority of Torres's hits including this one. Very different. Torres is a piece of s*** head hunter that got what he deserved far too late in my opinion.

esteef

Kronwall has had questionable hits where he jumped into them in the pre-head shot focused NHL, but since then he has made an effort to keep his skates on the ice which is proven by the lack of punishment he has received. And he always hits the player with the puck, unlike the majority of Torres's hits including this one. Very different. Torres is a piece of s*** head hunter that got what he deserved far too late in my opinion.

esteef

Mcsorley got 23 for using a weapon. Shanahan is a joke, ex-wing or not.

Shanahan didn't suspend McSorely.

Obviously. The point is zero consistency. I'll use Keith. Not a repeat offender but he did just as much damage and his elbow was blatantly disgusting. 7 games. I'll say again. It's a joke.

Pretty much what harold said.

I voted too harsh, not because he doesn't deserve 25 games, but because 25 is a value, like money.

You find the value of something by comparing it to similar things. The value of your home or car is assessed by comparables.

There is a market value and it depends on what people will pay, or, in this case, what comparable infractions have received.

The non-suspension of Weber happened early on, and therefore set the tone of the playoff suspension value for this round of the playoffs (thus being a perfectly acceptable conversation topic).

The post-headshot era is looking to this year for setting a tone. The tone has been more of an arpeggio.