• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

Hard to believe but this game was 10 years ago exactly.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:56 PM

Man I loved this game, gave Roy a nice thrashing just like those good ol' days when he was in Montreal. Hard to believe for sure that it's already been 10 years, I still get a bit of a fire in my belly seeing Roy in that Avs gear.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#3 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i---L0ZeAI
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#4 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

my God does time fly. Life goes by way to fast. Miss those days.

Posted Image

#5 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:03 AM

I still remember watching this game at home, back when I still lived in Kansas City. Earlier was the last day of 7th grade for me and I was both excited and nervous...I couldn't believe that we scored so early. When Feds scored, I remember my fork flying through the air as me and my Dad were both eating on TV trays while watching the game on the big screen.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#6 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

I still remember watching this game at home, back when I still lived in Kansas City. Earlier was the last day of 7th grade for me and I was both excited and nervous...I couldn't believe that we scored so early. When Feds scored, I remember my fork flying through the air as me and my Dad were both eating on TV trays while watching the game on the big screen.

I missed about this entire season and playoffs in 2001-2002 because I was active military and mobilized at the time. I didn't get an opportunity to see any of this until early 2003, I was literally following hockey through newspaper clippings and stats that my brother would mail me. It still doesn't take away from the fact that at this point i've probably seen this game a dozen times and still remains as one of my favorites.

#7 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:27 AM

Wait.... TEN years?

TEN?

bringit.jpg

#8 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:33 AM

I'll always remember that day. I had a little league baseball game. I believe I was 12. My dad brought this old school TV into the car and would honk every time the Wings scored and my whole team would start cheering especially because the honking was so frequent. I can't remember a damn thing about the baseball game I played but I don't think anyone can. I still have the newspaper from the next day at my home. What a game.

#9 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,454 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:11 AM

It is hard to believe it's been a decade, but it's still sweet. Watching Waahhhh get chased from the arena where Dom was in goal should have erased any and all doubts as to who was supreme in the nets.

Posted Image

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#10 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

It is hard to believe it's been a decade, but it's still sweet. Watching Waahhhh get chased from the arena where Dom was in goal should have erased any and all doubts as to who was supreme in the nets.

Posted Image

$45 for 12 beers at a hockey game? God damn, these days it would cost you three times that much
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#11 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

I remember it well. I was on vacation for games 4-7 of that series, in California and then on a cruise through western Mexico. We were at Disneyland for game 4 (I wore my Hull jersey), on the ship for games 5 & 6. I had to spend ridiculous amounts of money for the 3 minutes of internet time just to check the scores for games 5 & 6. (I'm not kidding, it was like a total of $40 for maybe 6-10 minutes total internet time.)

Game 7 was the day of debarkation from the ship. My family left the ship, and we went to the J Paul Getty Museum in the early afternoon. As we left the museum, we listened to the local ESPN radio (who were covering the Lakers in their series, of course) waiting for their score updates every half hour. I was thinking that this game would be the most intense, gut wrenching, tight defense kind of game that we'd ever seen. I was incredibly surprised to find that the score was 1-0 on the Wings first shot of the game. The next time the score update came on, it was 2-0 Wings.

By the time we got to where we were staying at (about an hour drive), it was 4-0. I was on cloud 9.

Ten years. Man, where did the time go.

By the way, I can't be the only one who misses Gary Thorne & Bill Clement (Clement, hands of cement) calling games.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

I wish it was 10 years ago.

The Wings were great, gas was cheap, and I was young with long hair and no worries about the future.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#13 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,454 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

By the way, I can't be the only one who misses Gary Thorne & Bill Clement (Clement, hands of cement) calling games.

I miss them both... I was just saying the other night how much I miss Gary Thorne, in particular. I was in a minority of fans who didn't mind ESPN coverage of hockey. Especially since it was all we could get here, broadcast wise.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#14 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

I will always remember this game as the one where I almost got alcohol poisoning. I had a group watching at Hockeytown Cafe. My brilliant idea before the game started was to do a shot for every Wings goal. Hilarity ensued, and many, many lemon drops. Had a Roy voodoo doll hanging from the TV cord and red and white push pins. A guy on the street was handing out the "Aure - Roy" papers after the game.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#15 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

$45 for 12 beers at a hockey game? God damn, these days it would cost you three times that much

Wait...there actually was a time when beer was only $3.75 at a hockey game?? :scared:

#16 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

I remember it well. I was on vacation for games 4-7 of that series, in California and then on a cruise through western Mexico. We were at Disneyland for game 4 (I wore my Hull jersey), on the ship for games 5 & 6. I had to spend ridiculous amounts of money for the 3 minutes of internet time just to check the scores for games 5 & 6. (I'm not kidding, it was like a total of $40 for maybe 6-10 minutes total internet time.)

Game 7 was the day of debarkation from the ship. My family left the ship, and we went to the J Paul Getty Museum in the early afternoon. As we left the museum, we listened to the local ESPN radio (who were covering the Lakers in their series, of course) waiting for their score updates every half hour. I was thinking that this game would be the most intense, gut wrenching, tight defense kind of game that we'd ever seen. I was incredibly surprised to find that the score was 1-0 on the Wings first shot of the game. The next time the score update came on, it was 2-0 Wings.

By the time we got to where we were staying at (about an hour drive), it was 4-0. I was on cloud 9.

Ten years. Man, where did the time go.

Mostly the reason why I miss the ESPN hockey days, these two were the best combo hands down. I still hear blurbs of Gary here and there watching baseball highlights.

#17 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hughson+Craig Simpson

Doc+Pierre+Eddie

Got to be the most brutal five guys to ever listen to.

bringit.jpg

#18 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

I will always remember this game as the one where I almost got alcohol poisoning. I had a group watching at Hockeytown Cafe. My brilliant idea before the game started was to do a shot for every Wings goal. Hilarity ensued, and many, many lemon drops. Had a Roy voodoo doll hanging from the TV cord and red and white push pins. A guy on the street was handing out the "Aure - Roy" papers after the game.

This was me in 2010 when we beasted the Sharks in Game 4...I still to this day refuse to look up the official final score because I blacked out about halfway through the second period. I think it was 7-1 though...and we kept doing any red shot we could.

Posted Image

#19 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:46 AM

I still also remember the feeling I had after the final horn - "We got the Cup, Carolina who?"

#20 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:04 AM

Wait...there actually was a time when beer was only $3.75 at a hockey game?? :scared:

fixed... unfortunately :(

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life