• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#141 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

Semin disappointed making 6.7 million this past season, i'm not sure how motivated he would be taking a contract for 4-5 mil per.

With that said, and i've made it pretty well known how I feel about Semin, if it came down to Hudler at 4 mil or Semin at 5 mil theoretically i'd probably take the risk on Semin IF it was a short contract. That way if he decides to play lazy we aren't tied up for long.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#142 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

Semin disappointed making 6.7 million this past season, i'm not sure how motivated he would be taking a contract for 4-5 mil per.

With that said, and i've made it pretty well known how I feel about Semin, if it came down to Hudler at 4 mil or Semin at 5 mil theoretically i'd probably take the risk on Semin IF it was a short contract. That way if he decides to play lazy we aren't tied up for long.

And at least Pavel would have someone to talk to. Semin would be a much better player on Pav's wing, rather than Hudler.

#143 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

And at least Pavel would have someone to talk to. Semin would be a much better player on Pav's wing, rather than Hudler.

For sure, I am in on semin because i don't see us getting parise. After semin there is a drop that screams bring in the trades. As for hudler i wish him luck on someone elses roster.

Edited by Hey man nice shot!, 16 June 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#144 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

No no no. We need size and snarl on the 4th line. Moen or Prust. Both would be great. Parise and Suter are the top 2 targets and then we add the big banger for the 4th line and try to emulate what the Kings have. A 4th line which can play and wear teams down. Hudler wears no one down but the strippers he buys trying to get a red light discount of the day special.

You know what? I agree 100% lol I can't argue with that. Maybe re sign him for a healthy scratch guy. I guess its time to let him go.

Edited by Krayzie_Bone, 16 June 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#145 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

Do you watch Semin play often? Semin is softer than a bag of kittens.

Also, Hossa was never considered a poor defender. He was lauded for his 2 way play long before coming to the Wings.

I lived and worked in D.C. for a couple years so I've seen him play quite often. My assessment of him is that he's a big, strong, fast, and extremely skilled forward with inconsistent work ethic, motivation, and on ice effort. In my opinion Semin's skill set makes him very much like Filppula, only bigger and with a better shot. Sure he's not tough in the way that Getzlaf or Perry or someone is, but he's very strong and very fast which makes it extremely difficult to play against him when he's giving 100 % effort. Which obviously begs the question...will he give the effort?

My personal position is that the problem with Washington's inability to achieve their potential was largely Bruce Boudreau, who was a player friendly coach who didn't expect a disciplined or structured game from his players...and therefore never got it. Signing Semin would essentially be taking a gamble that in a more structured system his talents would be better utilized. I think it would pay off because I think Semin is a textbook example of a guy who needs a change of scenery...or at least a change of coaching. You're welcome to disagree if you want, but I think what I've said here is a fairly accurate description of what Semin brings to the table.

So, as I've said all along, if we can't get Parise and Semin will take a modest pay cut and sign short term, then I think it's worth the gamble.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#146 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

I lived and worked in D.C. for a couple years so I've seen him play quite often. My assessment of him is that he's a big, strong, fast, and extremely skilled forward with inconsistent work ethic, motivation, and on ice effort. In my opinion Semin's skill set makes him very much like Filppula, only bigger and with a better shot. Sure he's not tough in the way that Getzlaf or Perry or someone is, but he's very strong and very fast which makes it extremely difficult to play against him when he's giving 100 % effort. Which obviously begs the question...will he give the effort?

My personal position is that the problem with Washington's inability to achieve their potential was largely Bruce Boudreau, who was a player friendly coach who didn't expect a disciplined or structured game from his players...and therefore never got it. Signing Semin would essentially be taking a gamble that in a more structured system his talents would be better utilized. I think it would pay off because I think Semin is a textbook example of a guy who needs a change of scenery...or at least a change of coaching. You're welcome to disagree if you want, but I think what I've said here is a fairly accurate description of what Semin brings to the table.

So, as I've said all along, if we can't get Parise and Semin will take a modest pay cut and sign short term, then I think it's worth the gamble.

?? Flip is one of the hardest working players on the team and has very little finishing ability.

Edited by kook_10, 16 June 2012 - 12:39 PM.

works every time

#147 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

?? Flip is one of the hardest working players on the team and has very little finishing ability.

I agree. As I said, Semin is like Flip with a better shot and a worse work ethic.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#148 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

id take semins only for 6 mil

i dont want hudler for 4 mil. id rather spend extra 2 and get a right handed sniper

#149 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

Semin is lazy and that is really hard to get out of a player. If the Wings want to gamble I would go after Evander Kane. He needs to grow up but works hard every night and brings some grit. Contract talks with him and the Jets are not going well.

Edited by Red Crazy, 16 June 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#150 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,816 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Honestly, I'd take Parise/Semin/Moen/Suter/Schultz/Harding as our new players...That's alot of signing and changes, especially for one off season, but Holland needs to make this big splash and prove to the NHL that Detroit is here to stay and will NOT rebuild, just reload! Get these guys signed up for years and then let the likes of Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen etc... slowly make their way into the lineup.

( I still cannot explain how imperative it is to get these kids under contract: Dekeyser, Schultz, Welsh, in a few years when Sheahan in up along with Smith leading the way, this Red Wings team will be young, fast and HARD to play against...Howard will be in his prime and our D will be young and tough along with the O.)

Edited by LeftWinger, 16 June 2012 - 04:32 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#151 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Semin is lazy and that is really hard to get out of a player. If the Wings want to gamble I would go after Evander Kane. He needs to grow up but works hard every night and brings some grit. Contract talks with him and the Jets are not going well.

He's an RFA. Ken Holland doesn't go after other teams' RFAs.

#152 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

How do you guys feel about maybe trading Hudler's rights? Seeing as how the free-agent pool isn't going to be very deep, and guys who can score 20-30 goals/year don't grow on trees, you'd think someone would be willing to give a 2nd round pick(maybe 1st round pick if Kenny really works his magic)

EDIT: assuming Hudler has his sights set on $4+ mill/year

Edited by Wings4Life19, 17 June 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#153 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

How do you guys feel about maybe trading Hudler's rights? Seeing as how the free-agent pool isn't going to be very deep, and guys who can score 20-30 goals/year don't grow on trees, you'd think someone would be willing to give a 2nd round pick(maybe 1st round pick if Kenny really works his magic)

EDIT: assuming Hudler has his sights set on $4+ mill/year

No way. Not for rights; especially Hudler's.

Posted Image

#154 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

We'd be lucky to get a 4th for huds' rights IMO. No ones going to pay a lot for a UFA's rights.. Unless they're a parise/suter level fa, then obviously they might pay a little more.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#155 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

He's an RFA. Ken Holland doesn't go after other teams' RFAs.

I was thinking more of a trade option. If the Jets can't come to terms with him and he dosen't want to play there maybe it could be a trade partner. Winnipeg fans will eat him alive if he turns his back on the team, they will have to move him.

#156 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

Honestly, I'd take Parise/Semin/Moen/Suter/Schultz/Harding as our new players...That's alot of signing and changes, especially for one off season, but Holland needs to make this big splash and prove to the NHL that Detroit is here to stay and will NOT rebuild, just reload! Get these guys signed up for years and then let the likes of Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen etc... slowly make their way into the lineup.

( I still cannot explain how imperative it is to get these kids under contract: Dekeyser, Schultz, Welsh, in a few years when Sheahan in up along with Smith leading the way, this Red Wings team will be young, fast and HARD to play against...Howard will be in his prime and our D will be young and tough along with the O.)

I agree with everything here but Semin, unless he signs for 1 year max $5 mil. He has no 2-way game, but Dats could help find his potential. If he plays hard every night, he could pot 50 on Dats wing. I am hugely on board with para 2. Smith will be a beast next year up full time and in a year or 2, Sheahan will be the "Gaustad" that this board is looking for on the Wings. Big, tough, smooth fast skater and great on the D side of the game. Hopefully this year in GR he gets his offense going again. But as my dad stated the other day at lunch, GR needs a new coach cause the dude down there is not doing s*** with our black aces. I'm also looking forward to seeing Ironhook cross the pond and see what he can do in NA and bulk up and get the 10 or more pounds he needs. I don't give 2 s***s what the critics say on the scouting reports, all the Wings prospects i've seen play have looked really good. I want to see Tvrdon on GR too next year as i'm pretty sure he's too old to play in the WHL.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#157 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

I agree with everything here but Semin, unless he signs for 1 year max $5 mil. He has no 2-way game, but Dats could help find his potential. If he plays hard every night, he could pot 50 on Dats wing. I am hugely on board with para 2. Smith will be a beast next year up full time and in a year or 2, Sheahan will be the "Gaustad" that this board is looking for on the Wings. Big, tough, smooth fast skater and great on the D side of the game. Hopefully this year in GR he gets his offense going again. But as my dad stated the other day at lunch, GR needs a new coach cause the dude down there is not doing s*** with our black aces. I'm also looking forward to seeing Ironhook cross the pond and see what he can do in NA and bulk up and get the 10 or more pounds he needs. I don't give 2 s***s what the critics say on the scouting reports, all the Wings prospects i've seen play have looked really good. I want to see Tvrdon on GR too next year as i'm pretty sure he's too old to play in the WHL.

If YTvrdon doesn't make the Wings he will be back in the WHL, he was born in January 1993, anybody born before January (Jurco was born Dec 1992) doesn't have to go back to jr. if they don't make their NHL club but anybody born in 1993 does. Tvrdon could use another year in jr. to make up for missing most of his first year there with an injury and to get more consistent

Edited by Johnz96, 18 June 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#158 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,816 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Well it looks like your dad will be seeing that new coach in Rapids! He bolted to be an Asst. with Dallas!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#159 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Semin scored a goal every 61 mins od ice-time this year
Parise scored a goal every 56 mins of ice-time this year
Hudler scored a goal every 50 mins of ice-time this year
Franzen scored a goal every 47 mins of ice-time this year

#160 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

Semin scored a goal every 61 mins od ice-time this year
Parise scored a goal every 56 mins of ice-time this year
Hudler scored a goal every 50 mins of ice-time this year
Franzen scored a goal every 47 mins of ice-time this year

Neat stat.