• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Red Wings Sign Jordin Tootoo to 3-yr deal, $1.9M/yr

Rate this topic

Yeah, he's still relatively young. Hopefully he doesn't flop this season, although I don't remember him doing it last year. He's done it in the past, though. I'm excited that we got someone that will consistently play physical and stir things up. Hopefully the league can get it together so the season can start on time.

From last season:

He's had a few Ribiero worthy play acting too. Well beyond just diving, but faking an injury.

Thanks for posting those. That kind of stuff is what has always annoyed me about him. Hard hitting, hard-working guy that can do it all. No reason to pull antics like that.

Hes no worse of a diver then someone like Franzen is, although it seems Franzen has toned it down a lot as well the past year or so. But for me the fact that Tootoo will also fight anyone in the league pretty much despite his size and is arguably the hardest hitting forward makes up for those things. I'm glad the wings finally signed a guy like that and as an agitator I expect the odd dive here and there even if I dont like diving in the game

Hes no worse of a diver then someone like Franzen is, although it seems Franzen has toned it down a lot as well the past year or so. But for me the fact that Tootoo will also fight anyone in the league pretty much despite his size and is arguably the hardest hitting forward makes up for those things. I'm glad the wings finally signed a guy like that and as an agitator I expect the odd dive here and there even if I dont like diving in the game

He's absolutely a worse diver than Franzen. Mule is a bit of drama queen, but I've not seen him flop like Tootoo.

While I can appreciate the energy and toughness of his game, my dislike of him is based on him being a triple threat: dives, dirty hits, jumps guys in fights.

Yeah, but can't you wait for when someone is pushing Z or Pav around calling them soft euros and this guy is just gonna skate up and throw down for them. f****** finally!

True. It'll be nice to see someone on the Wings stand up for a teammate (other than our goalie).

I just wish Tootoo didn't come with all his other bad qualities.

He's absolutely a worse diver than Franzen. Mule is a bit of drama queen, but I've not seen him flop like Tootoo.

While I can appreciate the energy and toughness of his game, my dislike of him is based on him being a triple threat: dives, dirty hits, jumps guys in fights.

I disagree, Tootoos rep comes from when he started in the league. Hes really cleaned his game up a lot the last couple years, the hit on Miller was his only questionable play all season. I was saying this before he signed too because I wanted the wings to get him for that reason. He used to dive a lot and throw dirty hits, anymore he does his agitating by running guys with his awesome speed and forechecking ability and is still a great fighter.

Not to say he wont have the odd dive here or there but hes not that bad anymore. Franzen has also cleaned it up, but does no one remember how he was around the 2008 season? His dive on the roberts punch, another bad one at the end of a calgary game etc. Hes definitely had his fair share of dives in his day, we look past them cause hes a wing however. But at least Tootoo will back his up a bit with physical play and the odd scrap

I disagree, Tootoos rep comes from when he started in the league. Hes really cleaned his game up a lot the last couple years, the hit on Miller was his only questionable play all season. I was saying this before he signed too because I wanted the wings to get him for that reason. He used to dive a lot and throw dirty hits, anymore he does his agitating by running guys with his awesome speed and forechecking ability and is still a great fighter.

Not to say he wont have the odd dive here or there but hes not that bad anymore. Franzen has also cleaned it up, but does no one remember how he was around the 2008 season? His dive on the roberts punch, another bad one at the end of a calgary game etc. Hes definitely had his fair share of dives in his day, we look past them cause hes a wing however. But at least Tootoo will back his up a bit with physical play and the odd scrap

His rep comes from more than just his first few seasons. Maybe he was better this last one but there's plenty of gems from the last few years.

This is from the season before last and a perfect example of how he suckerpunches guys when he drops the gloves.

Tootoo is a dirty player who dives and is bad defensively. I'm hoping all that somehow changes when he's on the Wings.

I think it is pretty guaranteed he'll continue to clean his act in Detroit, but good lord, I pray he does not lose his edge and get to thinking he's being paid to only hit, forecheck and score the occasional point - Wings have been needing a Maltby and McCarty type for a while, and Abdelkader is not it. Tootoo is a rare combination of pest, legit middleweight fighter, and skills to actually take a regular shift. I'd rather see him keep his dirtiness than turn into Abdelkader 2.0 on the Wings.

Edited by egroen

This is from the season before last and a perfect example of how he suckerpunches guys when he drops the gloves.

Ha. I actually like that. Don't skate up in my face if you're not ready for it. If you wanna go, let's go. I'm not gonna stand there and chirp about it...do the damn thing. Tootoo threw a good hit, Reaves took exception to it. He came looking for trouble and he found it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the whole not-drilling-a-defenseless-player-while-he-is-standing-there thing, but to me, Reaves was the aggressor in this situation and he was getting ready to do his own thing. He got what he had coming.

Ha. I actually like that. Don't skate up in my face if you're not ready for it. If you wanna go, let's go. I'm not gonna stand there and chirp about it...do the damn thing. Tootoo threw a good hit, Reaves took exception to it. He came looking for trouble and he found it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the whole not-drilling-a-defenseless-player-while-he-is-standing-there thing, but to me, Reaves was the aggressor in this situation and he was getting ready to do his own thing. He got what he had coming.

He got what he had coming? Guys challenge each other to fights like that all the time. Usually they start with dropping the gloves and squaring up.

Though you'd think at this point people would have learned don't come near Tootoo unless you're ready for a suckerpunch.

Come on...really? You like that?

What he did there was dirty...and that's a perfect example of why Tootoo is a POS. After the clean hit by Tootoo, Reaves skated over to him and gave him a shoulder or whatever, probably trying to get him to fight...or at the very least get in his face. But right after the shoulder, Tootoo sucker punched Reaves when he wasn't even facing him and Reaves still had his gloves on and both hands on his stick.

Had Tootoo squared up like a man and fought like fighters are supposed to do, Reaves likely would have destroyed him. He's much bigger and a much better fighter. So, it's no surprise that Tootoo threw the sucker punch, otherwise he gets pummeled.

I actually laughed when Detroit signed Tootoo. Blues fans, along with most NHL fans, can't stand Tootoo. So it will just make the games that much more fun because you know sooner or later Tootoo is going to do something stupid/cheap/dirty to cause a ruckus and more message board fodder....assuming there is a season that is. :lol:

What he did there was dirty...and that's a perfect example of why Tootoo is a POS. After the clean hit by Tootoo, Reaves skated over to him and gave him a shoulder or whatever, probably trying to get him to fight...or at the very least get in his face. But right after the shoulder, Tootoo sucker punched Reaves when he wasn't even facing him and Reaves still had his gloves on and both hands on his stick.

Had Tootoo squared up like a man and fought like fighters are supposed to do, Reaves likely would have destroyed him. He's much bigger and a much better fighter. So, it's no surprise that Tootoo threw the sucker punch, otherwise he gets pummeled.

I actually laughed when Detroit signed Tootoo. Blues fans, along with most NHL fans, can't stand Tootoo. So it will just make the games that much more fun because you know sooner or later Tootoo is going to do something stupid/cheap/dirty to cause a ruckus and more message board fodder....assuming there is a season that is. :lol:

and you will come on here and post something stupid like always.

You conveniently missed the video of the Tootoo/Bertuzzi fight, I guess? Tootoo has the ability to hold his own against larger fighters. While I'm certainly not going to give Tootoo any points for the sucker-punch, he saw the opening and took it. If he ends up doing this while he's on the Wings, I'll probably grumble a bit, but at least we'll have some snarl again.

Good good...Everything is going according to "the plan".

goodgood.gif

Was kinda dirty but Reaves will learn. If you want to make it in a league as a tough scrapper type and youre only 5'8 you learn to do things to keep guys off your back. You make a clean hit and a guy challenges you for it when hes twice your size why should you stand there and let him go to town on your face?

Definitely a dirty playre who has cleaned up his act quite a bit, but its perfect to combat the blues dirty play. I'm hoping its Jackman and Backes that get it first

To be fair, maybe I shouldn't have said I 'like it', but I am not going to complain about it. I'm a small guy, so if you come after me, I'm not waiting for you to get ready. You should have been ready before you skated over to pick a fight with me.

Tootoo probably thought he was about to get the same. Let's be honest, there are much worse instances of sucker punches throughout NHL history.

And I'm not even convinced he made much contact, if any on that swing.

The Reaves incident is a classic example of how you have to be ready for it if you're gonna skate up to a guy after he throws a hit. What did Reaves think was gonna happen? No, it wasn't the most honorable thing to do by Tootoo, but if I'm Reaves, I'm ready once I skate over to him.

We'll probably see them drop the gloves this season. Tootoo had 5 fights in 77 games last year, but I think he'll get into around 10 fights this season, considering Detroit doesn't really have a McGrattan that Nashville had last season. Tootoo has plenty of options in the Central division, alone. Chicago has Dan Carcillo, Jamal Mayers, and Brandon Bollig. St. Louis has the previously mentioned Reaves. Nashville has McGrattan, but I doubt Tootoo ever fights him. Columbus has Jared Boll and Derek Dorsett. I think Tootoo gets into 5 fights against Central division opponents, alone.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

The Reaves incident is a classic example of how you have to be ready for it if you're gonna skate up to a guy after he throws a hit. What did Reaves think was gonna happen? No, it wasn't the most honorable thing to do by Tootoo, but if I'm Reaves, I'm ready once I skate over to him.

We'll probably see them drop the gloves this season. Tootoo had 5 fights in 77 games last year, but I think he'll get into around 10 fights this season, considering Detroit doesn't really have a McGrattan that Nashville had last season. Tootoo has plenty of options in the Central division, alone. Chicago has Dan Carcillo, Jamal Mayers, and Brandon Bollig. St. Louis has the previously mentioned Reaves. Nashville has McGrattan, but I doubt Tootoo ever fights him. Columbus has Jared Boll and Derek Dorsett. I think Tootoo gets into 5 fights against Central division opponents, alone.

Yeah apparently Trotz always had him on a short leash from what I've been told but Babcock is always trying to get guys to fight. He has even publicly said that Abdelkader should fight more and all of a sudden Abby had 6 fights last year. Tootoo will be Detroits toughest player so if he only fights 5 times while Abdelkader is fighting more then that and potentially Smith as well, than I'm sure Babcock wil have something to say.

But I agree, the central division has a lot of guys in his weight class that play a similar style. Dont forget about Andrew Shaw either. I'm excited for the wings to actually be airly tough once again

Guest The Axe

Funny how we all ***** for 2 months about Holland and the Wings being and doing this and that, and now at this point, We ALL just want to see a Red Wings team playing hockey, no matter who they have. Tootoo, welcome. Kick some ass out there!

Yeah apparently Trotz always had him on a short leash from what I've been told but Babcock is always trying to get guys to fight. He has even publicly said that Abdelkader should fight more and all of a sudden Abby had 6 fights last year. Tootoo will be Detroits toughest player so if he only fights 5 times while Abdelkader is fighting more then that and potentially Smith as well, than I'm sure Babcock wil have something to say.

But I agree, the central division has a lot of guys in his weight class that play a similar style. Dont forget about Andrew Shaw either. I'm excited for the wings to actually be airly tough once again

Tootoo will be Detroit's main guy in the fighting department. You don't want your rookie defenseman in Smith fighting a whole ton, but he shouldn't shy away from it. Abdelkader is a secondary guy in games that get rough. He's not a good fighter, but he'll go from time to time.

Forgot about Shaw. Scott Nichol could even be mentioned for St. Louis.