• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

The Next Move

Rate this topic

you gotta keep in mind the age of our core players. Hank is almost 32 and Dats will be turning 34 in 10 days!! It's usually around this age that production takes a huge hit, so people who are expecting Dats and Hank of 08 are due in for a reality check.

Not to mention, Franzen 32, Sammy turning 36, Bertuzzi 37, Cleary 33.....this core won't remain our core for much longer and last time I checked, we had no prospects in line even close to potential Hank/Dats level, which causes tremendous worry.

Right, I think people are aware of that, it's just a question of "what do you do about it?!" The problem we have right now is that you can look at the entire roster, and the only two guys that come to mind as somewhat likely to take a big step forward in production are Nyquist and Brendan Smith. Seriously. I suppose Filppula could improve a little more, but not much more. And Brunner could be a stud, or he could be a fringe AHL player.

The rest of the team has already peaked, and might even be on the way down, and that is SCARY. The point that we "need" defense yet mostly seem to talk about forwards is well-taken, except we've seen time after time how this team ends up lacking scoring when it counts the most, which is why a lot of people are interested in a Hossa-like addition to spark an already pretty full roster.

I'm not really sure what the next move is, but if Flip and Mule and can be moved to acquire a Nash or Ryan type talent, that HAS to be explored. My gut, however, tells me that what will actually happen is that Holland will weigh the cost of that against keeping those players and adding something like Doan through FA, and favor the more conservative route. I just hate the feeling that Hockeytown is literally stalling until we can run into the next Datsyuk or Hank without using a high draft pick to find him, and that doesn't seem too likely to happen.

I just saw this on ProHockeyTalk.com

OK, so here’s the deal. You’re a GM in need a forward. You have the opportunity to get one of

Rick Nash, Bobby Ryan, Shane Doan, or Alex Semin. (Or, you can do nothing.)

Of course, each one comes with a price…

To get Nash, you’ll have to give up a solid roster player, a couple of decent prospects, and a first-round pick. Plus you have to take on his contract, which has six years left at a cap hit of $7.8 million.

To get Ryan, it’s the same price as Nash. Contract: three years left, cap hit $5.1 million.

To get Doan, you have to give him a three-year deal with a $5 million cap hit and a no-trade clause.

To get Semin, it’s one year for $2 million, and if it works out he’s promised to re-sign a reasonable deal (and we’ll assume he won’t break his promise).

Or, again, you can do nothing.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/09/poll-nash-ryan-doan-or-semin-who-would-you-want/

I voted for the Rick Nash trade.

I haven't seen anyone mention Kurtis Foster as an option for D. Is he just way too injury prone and slow or what? He only made $1.8 mil last season and is a big body with a RH shot.

Foster missed a whole season few years ago with broken femur. He has (or maybe had) a very strong shot from the point.

I see on TSN.ca the Parise/Suter crap that shows them in their jersey's with A's on the front of them...probably another reason they didn't pick Detroit, no guaranteed A on their Chest....

Ok, back to the topic....(just didn't want to bump thier threads back to the first page....screw em!)

BTW - Looking at their s*** eating grins really turns my stomach...I think I can honestly say Crosby has dropped to #3 on my hate list.....f***!

Edited by LeftWinger

I actually wouldnt mind getting Bouwmeester out of Calgary as long as it didnt cost us that much.

I think that J-Bo could find his game here much like Campbell did in Florida. I realize that he is over payed but it is only short term (2 more years) and we are in a financial spot that we could eat that cap hit and still add other players.

Sheesh....I dunno about Nyquist for Bouwmeester.... I am sure Nyquist is on everyones trade list...I think Tatar is just as ready as Nyquist for the NHL, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a package, but Nyquist......on the fence...

Is Bouwmeester worth Nyquist? If so, I'd include Hudler's old buddy Cleary in that package...looking at Capgeek, damn thats an awful large salary of Bouwmeester's....I'd rather go for Yandle all out if I am including Nyquist...

Our top-6 is crap.

You must mean our 6 D-men, cause other wise I'm calling Bologna. We have a lot of scoring depth now and a lot of guys who will be fighting for top-6 positions. Now take a look at our defense....

You must mean our 6 D-men, cause other wise I'm calling Bologna. We have a lot of scoring depth now and a lot of guys who will be fighting for bottom-6 positions. Now take a look at our defense....

fixed.

Not sure if your commenting on the caliber of our top-6 or that we have a plethora of bottom-6ers????

haha, yeah maybe should have been more clear.

Was trying to say none of our scoring depth have yet proved themselves to be top 6 material. Atm, I think we can only shoot for bottom 6 and go from there.