• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

New League?

Rate this topic

What's to stop Chris Chelios from starting a new NA pro hockey league? And what's to stop that league from supplanting the NHL?

Obviously I'm being a little silly.

...and yet, I'm kinda not.

Discuss the idea of a "new NHL." (National Cattle League?) Is the idea appealing to you? What would you like to see in a new league? How would someone, or multiple someones, go about actually creating a new league here in North America? Or would they even be able to? (Is this idea at all feasible?) Discuss potential obstacles. Discuss potential awesomeness. Explore all angles.

Whoa. I had the same "what's to stop Chris Chelios" thought. I wondered about the players starting their own, but wondered who'd bankroll the payroll and the arenas and all the other stuff that goes into it.

Whoa. I had the same "what's to stop Chris Chelios" thought. I wondered about the players starting their own, but wondered who'd bankroll the payroll and the arenas and all the other stuff that goes into it.
hmmmmmmmmm I wonder that too. but hell who cares the owners are greedy and shouldn't be making as much as the players. that's just not fair.So....really. Who will be putting up money for this "NEW" league. the players? Can't be because you think that they deserve more of the "pie" now so we can't have the players giving up any of their money. Edited by hillbillywingsfan

Anyone who had the finances to do this would be on the same level as the current owners, and would want to see some return on their money. Unless it's something like The Toy with Richard Pryor, and like a Jim Balsille puts some teams together to play only for him. They could all bunk at his mansion, and he could hang out with them and do sleepovers and such.

Edited by drwscc

A new league would still run into the same issues as this one, I think. Ultimately, the only people who can afford to own teams are of the super rich variety, and it takes a certain mindset to get that far financially. I don't think it is realistic to have owners who participate in a professional hockey league mostly for the good of the community or for fun, and not primarily from a business standpoint. Consequently, I expect the owners of the new league to lock out the players in much the same way that Illitch and the current 29 owners have, based on differences in perceived potential earnings.

Oh this thread brings back memories.

On topic, I was wondering what if the KHL and European leagues catch on in the next season to season and a half (as projected). Lots of players have said they would have no problem staying in their home countries.

SOOO...

What about finally having a world wide league. Have 2 NA divisions Can and Amer in one conference, 2 more between KHL and Europe divisions making another conference.

The first three(maybe 2) rounds must be from the original holder of picks homeland (so to speak). After that you can draft anyone anywhere. Or not let anyone draft anyone, but I thought it would be a neat feature.

No play in other conference until a 7 game championship series held at a rotating host site each year.

Maybe????

Maybe Not????

Just get a big ol' ranch in for the players to live on (y'know- like cattle) and herd them over to the other guys' ranch for the games. Just find some rich ranchers (y'know- like in Texas). It'd be Bush League, but who cares?

If I was to start a hockey league, this is how it would look, from an on-ice standpoint:

-No trapezoid area. Goalies can freely handle the puck.

-Players make their own decisions regarding facial protection.

-No instigator penalty. Let the players police themselves.

-Head hunting rules in place, however not nearly ridiculously touchy as today's NHL head hunting rules.

-Tolerance for a bit more obstruction (Hooking, holding, interference) than today's NHL.

-No penalties for "Delay of game"

As far as off the ice:

-No salary rollbacks on player contracts. Once the deal is done, its done.

I don't have many other concrete opinions as to what it should look like off the ice. No greedy owners. No greedy players.

Obviously, starting a new hockey league in North America wouldn't be easy. The NHL is the top dog. It'd be hard to compete in cities that have NHL teams. Then again, since those NHL teams are constantly locked out, now would be a great time to give it a shot. Who's in this with me?

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

You guys will have to wait until April...when it comes playoff time, and there isn't any NHL hockey going on, people will start thinking about an alternate league. Its just too large of an undertaking to even realistically be floated until a whole season is cancelled.

Now, if we're into next summer and there is still a lockout? HAHA. Yeah, I think something will start to develop. I hope.

A new league would still run into the same issues as this one, I think. Ultimately, the only people who can afford to own teams are of the super rich variety, and it takes a certain mindset to get that far financially. I don't think it is realistic to have owners who participate in a professional hockey league mostly for the good of the community or for fun, and not primarily from a business standpoint. Consequently, I expect the owners of the new league to lock out the players in much the same way that Illitch and the current 29 owners have, based on differences in perceived potential earnings.

I agree...a brand new league will face the same problems in the future. As long as the players have a saying in how much their employers are required to pay their employees these things will happen!

You couldn't have a 30 team league pop up overnight, obviously, but if this lockout lasts a full year and still has no resolution, I think they could round up a handful of rich people who would want to invest in a new hockey league. Teams in Toronto, Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Montreal?

I don't care if it's just regional as long as there are good players and I can watch it on TV.

Guest The Axe

I wouldn't mind seeing the NHL dissolve into a Euro/Russia super league. I dont need to spend 400 going to a game, anyways. TV, just like euro soccer.

I think the old timers had the exact same idea when they created the competing World Hockey Association (WHA). That league only lasted for 7 seasons and it just couldn't make it. Also, it's not like they didn't have the money or the talent. Hell, Mr. Hockey Gordie Howe played in the WHA for 6 seasons. Unfortunately in the end, it was a failed experiment.

It would just be easier if players infiltrated another league that provided better benefits. Though, no other North American league would be able to match similar salaries up front. The KHL would have been a viable option but they agreed to recognize NHL contracts, which is looking like a good strategic move to establish by the NHL before entering this lockout. Otherwise the players would have all entered the KHL without restrictions and received competitive salaries. We'd all be CSKA fans right about now.