• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

frankgrimes

Breaking the bank for Pietrangelo next year?

Rate this topic

Listen, I know our defense won't improve this season but seeing how Alex will be an RFA next season and probably the last elite defenseman avaiable Kenny should break the bank and his offersheet attitude in order to get him to the Wings.

7 years 56 million $ + 12m signing bonus there is no way the Blues could be matching that.

Thoughts? The guy is a top 5 defenseman in this league and would shorten our rebuild by a lot.

Guest Crymson

As was the case with the Kings and Doughty, the Senators and Karlsson, and so on, the Blues can shield Pietrangelo from offer sheets by simply taking him to arbitration. In other words, this isn't going to happen.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Crymson" data-cid="2338405" data-time="1357623375"><p>

As was the case with the Kings and Doughty, the Senators and Karlsson, and so on, the Blues can shield Pietrangelo from offer sheets by simply taking him to arbitration. In other words, this isn't going to happen.</p></blockquote>

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Guest irishock

Anyone know if the players amnestied become UFAs eligible to sign with any team? I hope Chicago uses it on Hossa and we snag him back, even if it means we can't re-sign Flip or someone.

Guest Crymson
Anyone know if the players amnestied become UFAs eligible to sign with any team? I hope Chicago uses it on Hossa and we snag him back, even if it means we can't re-sign Flip or someone.

I think there's little chance that the Hawks will buy out last season's team MVP.

As was the case with the Kings and Doughty, the Senators and Karlsson, and so on, the Blues can shield Pietrangelo from offer sheets by simply taking him to arbitration. In other words, this isn't going to happen.
bingo

blues would match any offers anyways

Edited by chances14

No way in hell the wings break the bank on him. He's a top D-man, but he's no Lidstrom or Chelios. Especially while we have Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko, Dekeyser, Backman, McKee, Almqvist, Jensen, De Haas, Nicastro, and Nedomlel in the mix. If even a 1/4 of those guys turn out to be anything our D is golden in the next few years....on home grown contracts to boot.

For once Red Wings fans can be excited about prospects. We are used to only a few good prospects at a time... Kronwalls, Filppulas, Hudlers... but now we have a lot of good prospects in the works (And we are still a playoff contender) (Yeah the Wings are awesome)

So glad our down year means we are only a "bubble team". For most other teams that means missed playoffs, but not us. With the shortened season we could easily sneak into the cup. And if we don't take the cup we still have so many players to look forward too.

Edited by number9

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="number9" data-cid="2338419" data-time="1357630822"><p>

No way in hell the wings break the bank on him. He's a top D-man, but he's no Lidstrom or Chelios. Especially while we have Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko, Dekeyser, Backman, McKee, Almqvist, Jensen, De Haas, Nicastro, and Nedomlel in the mix. If even a 1/4 of those guys turn out to be anything our D is golden in the next few years....on home grown contracts to boot.<br />

<br />

For once Red Wings fans can be excited about prospects. We are used to only a few good prospects at a time... Kronwalls, Filppulas, Hudlers... but now we have a lot of good prospects in the works (And we are still a playoff contender) (Yeah the Wings are awesome)<br />

<br />

So glad our down year means we are only a "bubble team". For most other teams that means missed playoffs, but not us. With the shortened season we could easily sneak into the cup. And if we don't take the cup we still have so many players to look forward too.</p></blockquote>

Very optimistic. I like it.

The league wanted teams to build contenders by drafting and developing their own guys and that is in full swing now. I think that the days of top players leaving as UFAs or getting taken by offer sheets are mostly gone, not completely, but for the most part. Holland and Babcock saw this coming a mile away and that is why they have been so conservative when it comes to big time trades. Every team has a list of players they will keep even if it means sacrificing depth to do so.

Guest Crymson
i am all in on the potential for oliver ekman larsson

he moves like rafalski. and stays calm like lidas.

just sayin....

coyotes have a habit of losing good players. hint hint

He's already their #1 defenseman.

The one thing about the Coyotes is the future is uncertain for them. I wonder if anyone in Phoenix even knew there was a lockout?

Back on topic though I don't see us breaking the bank on any d-man anytime in the future. This off season's crop doesn't look good at all...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="number9" data-cid="2338419" data-time="1357630822"><p>

No way in hell the wings break the bank on him. He's a top D-man, but he's no Lidstrom or Chelios. Especially while we have Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko, Dekeyser, Backman, McKee, Almqvist, Jensen, De Haas, Nicastro, and Nedomlel in the mix. If even a 1/4 of those guys turn out to be anything our D is golden in the next few years....on home grown contracts to boot.<br />

<br />

For once Red Wings fans can be excited about prospects. We are used to only a few good prospects at a time... Kronwalls, Filppulas, Hudlers... but now we have a lot of good prospects in the works (And we are still a playoff contender) (Yeah the Wings are awesome)<br />

<br />

So glad our down year means we are only a "bubble team". For most other teams that means missed playoffs, but not us. With the shortened season we could easily sneak into the cup. And if we don't take the cup we still have so many players to look forward too.</p></blockquote>

Very optimistic. I like it.

I seriously hope you know something we don't about Danny because this would be a Heaven sent gift if he signed with Detroit! I would love it!

I touched on this in another, there aren't that many high end UFA defenders out there this summer so I am really hoping Holland trades up to a top 15 (if they don't land there all by themselves) and gets a kid that is ready to step in within a year or so. Although Seth Jones is the best defender available, I don't see the Wings getting a sniff at him, even trough a trade up, but he wouyld be the ideal kid to bring in to help redifine this defense. But if Holland manufactures a trade that would get him a #15 or higher into the top 10, he would be able to snag up Ryan Pulock or Robert Hagg which either would be wonderful.

I do like our prospects on D, and of those you listed, the most I am excited to see is Oullet, Sproul and McKee. If Dekeyser is added to that list of prospects, I think if Holland can land a Pulock or Hagg, this D's future will be set for a long time! Especially if you have a top 3 in Detroit of Kronwall, Smith and Ericsson come 2-3 years down the road...In two years when E and Quincey's contract are up, it's going to be one or the other, I cannot see them re-signing both and stunting the growth of a few of these kids that will be ready to come up by then. One of them could always be used to trade up in the draft as well...As a whole though, I think our D future is very bright, depsite losing out on Suter and Schultz last summer.

That being said, Holland can then concentrate on the O side of the puck this off season, he will have to re-sign Filppula ($4.5M or more) and he may have to reward Brunner with a $3Mish contract as well...not to mention getting Smith under contract long term and Howard. Sheesh, with only $19M available next season there may be no money left to add to the O...

Guest Crymson
as of last year he was being shuttled in and out of the minors. yandle is there top guy.

hey, i can hope ...right?

Ekman-Larsson played all 82 games for the Coyotes in 2011-2012, and only 15 games in the AHL in 2010-2011. Yandle is not the Coyotes #1 D-man. While he is excellent in the offensive end, he is, even by the admission of Coyotes fans, poor in the defensive zone. Ekman-Larsson is still developing, but already he is offensively skilled and substantially better at defense than Yandle is.

OEL is poised to become an all-world defenseman, and everyone knows it. There is not the faintest chance that the Coyotes would dump him for anything short of a king's ransom right now... and maybe not even then.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Hatethedrake!

Ekman-Larsson is a franchise dman who is years from entering his prime. The Coyotes made it to the Conference Final last season and he was a big reason for it. He is not going anywhere.

I love Pietrangelo, but as other have said, it's not going to happen. He'll get shielded, or they'll match any offer sheet. And even if they didn't it wouldn't matter because Kenny doesn't tender offer sheets.

It's a nice dream to have, but in the end it's just that.

I don't think Dekeyser is Wings property as of yet...I know as of last season he was leaning towards signing with them, but Illitch told him he should go a finish his senior year at Western. Maybe they have a verbal agreement (we all know how far those go though...) for him to sign after his senior year this spring...my buddy who was dating Dan's sister moved to Florida last June and he hasn't mentioned anything about her or him in a long time.... I really hope he does become Wings property though!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="LeftWinger" data-cid="2338645" data-time="1357690638"><p>

I don't think Dekeyser is Wings property as of yet...I know as of last season he was leaning towards signing with them, but Illitch told him he should go a finish his senior year at Western. Maybe they have a verbal agreement (we all know how far those go though...) for him to sign after his senior year this spring...my buddy who was dating Dan's sister moved to Florida last June and he hasn't mentioned anything about her or him in a long time.... I really hope he does become Wings property though!</p></blockquote>

He's in his senior year now?

Ok, don't jump all over me, but I saw a mention of Alex Elder on a likely UFA list. With the buyouts, and extra flexibility from these new partial salary trades, could Kenny land him?

Ok, don't jump all over me, but I saw a mention of Alex Elder on a likely UFA list. With the buyouts, and extra flexibility from these new partial salary trades, could Kenny land him?

Ya I think it is possible and with the amount of money the Canucks already have tied up on their D, i think he just might go to free agency. The swedish connection might also help us out in this case.