• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

A thought for all of those hoping Holland will trade for a #1 defenceman:

Going over Ken Holland's moves, I noticed that he has only traded two regular roster players (i.e. players that have played at least 82 games for the Red Wings) since 2002. He traded Jamie Rivers in 2006 and Shawn Matthias in 2007. Not exactly blockbusters.

He has not traded a regular player in almost six years.

1. Why do you think he has chosen this strategy?

2. Do you think the strategy will change now that Lidstrom is retired?

Ref: List of all of Ken Holland's moves.

#2 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Just to throw a little counter-argument your way to open up the debate a little, how has history been with Holland traveling and meeting with UFAs? I feel like he also went out of his element this post-season and went and traveled Ryan Suter. So while he hasn't traded much in the past, I wouldn't make it a end-game for him to do it within the future.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#3 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

i think holland's trade record should be judged on the players that he has brought in rather than simply looking at the players that he has traded away.

#4 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Free agency is usually a better option. We have had a roster that has proven to be back to back Stanley Cup contenders so there hasn't been a need to drastically change the teams make-up(which very well can change post-Lidstrom), and we have had little cap space, which makes it tough to trade roster players for roster players.

Another reason is the cost of a lot of these players, I was really high on the wings going for Brent Burnsa while ago, but San Jose really really overpaid for him, and made their team worse in my opinion. San Jose had to give up a pretty good second line player on a great contract(setoguchi), their best prospect at the time(Coyle), and a first round pick. We would have given up Filpulla, Smith/Nyquist, and a first for Brent Burns, or maybe even more considering Filpulla's contract isn't as valuable as Setoguchi's. Personally I'm glad we passed on Burns, and tried our luck going after Suter. That's just one example, but other than Burns there hasn't been that many #1, or #2 defenseman traded the past few seasons, especially ones that would fit with Kronwall's style.

#5 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Adding the 'Players who have played in at least 82 games' caveat is kinda unfair I think. Those kind of trades dont happen that much in general.

I think Kenny is very careful not to overpay either via trade or in Free Agency and I appreciate that.

#6 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Going over Ken Holland's moves, I noticed that he has only traded two regular roster players (i.e. players that have played at least 82 games for the Red Wings) since 2002. He traded Jamie Rivers in 2006 and Shawn Matthias in 2007. Not exactly blockbusters.

Ref: List of all of Ken Holland's moves.

I don't think Matthias ever played for the Wings. He did trade Jason Williams for Kyle Calder, didn't he? Williams was with the Wings for the '02 Cup through the '07 season, if I am not mistaken.

#7 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

fire holland :scared:

Posted Image

#8 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Holland has also been to the playoffs every season since 2002, won 7 division titles, 3 Presidents Trophies, 2 Western Conference championships, and 1 Stanley Cup.

I'd say not trading roster players has worked out pretty well for him.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#9 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Revisit the topic if they don't make the playoffs. The end. 

#10 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

I don't think Matthias ever played for the Wings. He did trade Jason Williams for Kyle Calder, didn't he? Williams was with the Wings for the '02 Cup through the '07 season, if I am not mistaken.

Yes, and even though he didn't quite reach 80 games with the Wings, Sean Avery was a big part of this team for a couple of years and he was traded for Schneider along with Kuznetsov who played over 100 games with Detroit. He also trade Brad Stuart this off season.

It's very nice to read that other forum and see that Holland indeed was NOT the GM when Shanahan was acquired. So everyone who believes that Holland built the core of the Dyanasty of the mid 90's to 2002 can rest assured that Bryan Murray and Scotty Bowman did.  I am not knocking Kenny (too much) because he is a great GM, but he pretty much inherited the team that won all those Cups.  We are honestly now seeing (with the retirement of Homer) an entire team built by Ken Holland.

I am also filing an official protest against him for trading Aaron Ward for the draft pick they used to get Hudler...Aaron would have been far more valuable to this team than Hudler ever was...plus Ward would not have held Holland hostage during a contract negotiation and then bolt to Russia. :P

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#11 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Dave, how are we supposed to win tickets if you give us the answers?

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#12 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Not trying to discredit the OP, but I can think of more than 2 players. And neither Matthias or Rivers fulfill the 82gp requirement stated in the OP.

A little confused about this thread TBH....

Edited by hooon, 14 January 2013 - 04:15 PM.

Posted Image

#13 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

I guess some people still don't understand the changes that were made in the 2004-05 lockout. A salary cap went into place, now trades are like they are in the NBA, mostly salary dumps. Look at the last 7 trade deadlines, they're nothing like they were before the 04-05 lockout.

People seem to think this still the early 2000's when teams could spend and do what they want. It's a different world out there now. Teams need to draft and develop their own players. Even Free Agency isn't what it used to be, the maket is over inflated.

Yes I'm being sarcastic, but I'm surprised that there's so many people that still don't understand how everything works. Holland can't make Chelios, Schneider, and Lang type trades anymore. Also signing Suter for 13 years is insane!

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#14 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

I guess some people still don't understand the changes that were made in the 2004-05 lockout. A salary cap went into place, now trades are like they are in the NBA, mostly salary dumps. Look at the last 7 trade deadlines, they're nothing like they were before the 04-05 lockout.

People seem to think this still the early 2000's when teams could spend and do what they want. It's a different world out there now. Teams need to draft and develop their own players. Even Free Agency isn't what it used to be, the maket is over inflated.

Yes I'm being sarcastic, but I'm surprised that there's so many people that still don't understand how everything works. Holland can't make Chelios, Schneider, and Lang type trades anymore. Also signing Suter for 13 years is insane!

What's there to be sarcastic about? This seems a pretty spot on assessment to me.

#15 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Jason Williams?

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#16 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Ref: List of all of Ken Holland's moves

And in that same time period, the team has gone to the final 3 times and won 2 cups..

Do or do not. There is no try

#17 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Right after this I had gone on HFB, only to find the same exact thread there... I wonder if the OP posted to both forums or if this OP straight up copied the one over there... 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#18 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

No Parise. No Suter. Holland should have made these happen.

#19 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Holland worked his tail off trying to get Suter. Let it go.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#20 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

I think that OP lost all legitimacy for forgetting Leino and Williams. And yes, I say Leino despite OP's silly 82-game stipulation, because he played 62 games for the Wings (including nine in the playoffs, two of those in the SCF) and would have played an entire season if not for his attitude. Also working against OP's now-zero legitimacy is the fact that Shawn Matthias never played a single game in a Red Wings uniform. It's also interesting how OP ignores that Holland has made numerous large deals, as if trades only count if they include roster players. 

Yes, and even though he didn't quite reach 80 games with the Wings, Sean Avery was a big part of this team for a couple of years and he was traded for Schneider along with Kuznetsov who played over 100 games with Detroit.

Zing. Another strike against the OP, who clearly did not do his research.

Edited by Crymson, 15 January 2013 - 12:55 AM.