• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#41 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Players like Tootoo are more effective than just big and slow goons who can't skate or score. He will be better as a Red Wing.

I think we'll see Tootoo's career excel as a wing. Imagine having to play in a franchise that has absolutely no faith in you. He went through his alcohol rehab days and everything with that franchise. It's hard for him to excel, because he had a bad stain within the franchise, he just had problems. I could see his motivation not exactly being there, especially if you feel the franchise has no trust with you. Being brought into a well-decorated franchise, and being brought in with a purpose will motivate you to play again. I think he finally feels like he has another home, and the wings are going to embrace that. He knows why he's here, and he knows the role he needs to play. He wants people to see that his career over, so now that a franchise is giving him that chance, and they got the trust in him, well s***, it's all on him now.

Just want to thank all of our great #RedWings fans that came out tonight ! Truly amazing to see. Can't wait to suit up at the Joe!

exactly what i'm talking about! this dude is going to be a BEAUTY for us. and someone can quote that if you wanna challenge it.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#42 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Lots of people hated Drake. But loved him in Detroit ! Tootoo is no different.

#43 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Not a fan and didn't care for the signing.   I think he's more annoying than tough and his affinity for taking ill timed penalties will outweigh any supposed toughness that he brings to the team. 

#44 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Lots of people hated Drake. But loved him in Detroit ! Tootoo is no different.

I think most people only loved him during the playoffs and then after the Cup win.  Drake was actually pretty awful for his regular season with the Wings.  He redeemed himself in the Cup run, and apparently by teaching Dats to hit better.  

Drake was a somewhat dirty player for running guys, but I still think Tootoo has a worse track record than Drake did when he joined the Wings. 

Like him or not, for almost $2 mill a season, I hope Tootoo gets it together and makes a positive contribution for the Wings. 

#45 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

If I recall, most of the same Tootoo haters on here were Drake haters when the Wings signed him. Now they are all like, "he was so important to our 08 Cup!"  I am not saying Tootoo will get us a Cup, heck I didn't even say that in 08 about Drake, but you and you and you and even you cannot deny that Tootoo brings a dimension to this team that we haven't had since 2008.  Tootoo will not only bring so much energy to this team and the crowd, he will stand up for his superstars and fellow teammates. When Lidstrom got smoked in Colorado, Aaron Downey stepped up, kicked ass, didn't ask any questions, just kicked ass.  What happened when Brad Stuart got his jaw broken in Calgary a few years ago? Abby and Ericsson just stood there and looked at the guy who did it.  What happened when Corey Perry was beating on Datsyuk so much that enough was enough? Well Datsyuk whooped him, but Pavel cannot be fighting out there, period. What happened when Weber head slammed Zetterberg? What happens everytime Backes takes liberties on Datsyuk? You get my point. With Tootoo here, you can guarantee what is gonna happen the first time someone tries to take out Calder candidate Damien "The Gunner" Brunner. 

PLUS everyone is forgetting Tootoo is still only 29 (30 Feb. 2,) in the prime of his NHL career and is coming off his best ever offensive performance last season all while playing in a limited 4th line role. People mention Chelios and they way we and he both hated each other. Well, after 10 years of being a Red Wing, I do believe he warmed up to us and us to him very well.  As long as Tootoo stays healthy and gets a fair chance from us (unlike Hatcher and Modano did) he will become a fan favorite. I see him playing the rest of his years here in Detroit because that is what players do.  They may start their career's somewhere else, but in Detroit they finish their career's.  I am on the Tootoo train, I always was from day 1.  I loved his intensity in Nashville, his hard work and toughness.  I hated him when he played us, but wished that someone on this team had his work ethic and energy. Well now we have him.  All aboard, the train has room for everyone, but we are leaving the station soon, express line to the Stanley Cup.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#46 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

What LW said.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#47 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

I think he's more of a cheap shot artist, than a tough guy.  He gets on the ice, skates around like a bat outta hell just looking to rile someone up, not make a play.  Often times, he gets penalized and then whines about it. Seems to fire up the other other team more than it does his own. For the amount of cheap shots he dishes out, he doesn't seem to drop the gloves all that much.  Not surprising since he's only like 5'8".  You don't often hear words like "character", "good in the room" or "team player" to describe him.  Nashville invested a lot of time and money into him with all his problems and yet let him walk for nothing.  He also started the 2012 playoffs in the press box. 

Dallas Drake was horrible in 2008 in the regular season and picked it up a little in the playoffs.  The 2013 Wings don't have the luxury of having another 3rd or 4th liner who takes up space and can't put the puck in the net.  We have enough of those. 

I'm expecting very little, so hopefully I'll be surprised.  But he was never all that good to begin with.

#48 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

I think he's more of a cheap shot artist, than a tough guy.  He gets on the ice, skates around like a bat outta hell just looking to rile someone up, not make a play.  Often times, he gets penalized and then whines about it. Seems to fire up the other other team more than it does his own. For the amount of cheap shots he dishes out, he doesn't seem to drop the gloves all that much.  Not surprising since he's only like 5'8".  You don't often hear words like "character", "good in the room" or "team player" to describe him.  Nashville invested a lot of time and money into him with all his problems and yet let him walk for nothing.  He also started the 2012 playoffs in the press box. 

Dallas Drake was horrible in 2008 in the regular season and picked it up a little in the playoffs.  The 2013 Wings don't have the luxury of having another 3rd or 4th liner who takes up space and can't put the puck in the net.  We have enough of those. 

I'm expecting very little, so hopefully I'll be surprised.  But he was never all that good to begin with.

Like Maltby?  Nothing wrong with that.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#49 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

More like Sean Avery...Maltby could play defense, PK and score on occasion.  He was also a clean hitter.

#50 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Sean Avery wasn't half as good on the forecheck as Tootoo, and he doesn't hit nearly as hard.  Additionally, as dirty as some of his hits are, have a look on youtube at Tootoo's hits.  A very large portion of them are clean AND hard hits.  Finally, if you think Maltby was a clean player you're crazy.  He was a dirty as they come.  And that's no knock on him, I love borderline dirty players.  Chelios was one, so was Dino, and so was Maltby...and they are very very effective.  Tootoo is in the same vein, and I'm glad we signed him. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#51 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWw_DZcs0KM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cUEOir7HYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8qaz2IYo9M

http://www.youtube.c...er/tootoofights

Welcome to Detroit, Jordin, Welcome to Detroit!

www.thinkdunes.com

#52 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

I love that Tootoo can throw with both hands.  Being able to use that left makes him a much better fighter.  Tie up his right and he switches and thumps the s*** out of you.

#53 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

The people saying Tootoo is just a cheap shot artist and isnt tough are out to lunch. The guy is 5'8, consistently takes on much bigger guys, rarely loses fights and Chris Neil is probably hte only forward that hits harder. He adds a tonne of speed to the line up and has cleaned up his game a lot for those of you who are worried about the "class" of the wings. But he draws more penalties then he takes and can take on most fighters in the league while chipping 30 points?

Whine some more about the wings signing one of the tougher pound for pound fighters in the league that can actually play hockey

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#54 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Some fans will never be satisfied...soft Euro's or tough NA's...what do they want?

www.thinkdunes.com

#55 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

The people saying Tootoo is just a cheap shot artist and isnt tough are out to lunch. The guy is 5'8, consistently takes on much bigger guys, rarely loses fights and Chris Neil is probably hte only forward that hits harder. He adds a tonne of speed to the line up and has cleaned up his game a lot for those of you who are worried about the "class" of the wings. But he draws more penalties then he takes and can take on most fighters in the league while chipping 30 points?

Whine some more about the wings signing one of the tougher pound for pound fighters in the league that can actually play hockey

He dropped the gloves less often than Justin Abdelkader last season.  So he's the guy that's going to stick up for our stars?

#56 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

He dropped the gloves less often than Justin Abdelkader last season.  So he's the guy that's going to stick up for our stars?

I agree.  We should get another fighter, preferably on defense.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#57 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Speaking of fighter on Defense....Geezus, Mike McKee played in 23 games for Lincoln and has 202 PIMS! He played in 59 games last season with 237 PIMS! I think he is going to eclipse that number this season.... I sure hope he grows enough at Western to earn a spot in Detroit within the next 4-5 years....(or sooner)

www.thinkdunes.com

#58 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Tootoo only fought 5 times last season because Nashville had other guys around him, like Brian McGrattan. He'll be the main guy here in Detroit, so he'll definitely fight more than 5 times this year.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#59 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

As soon as he kick Jackman's ass you are going to love him... :)

It's better to have "forwards" fighters there are "only" 6 def so why would you risk injuries or 5 min penalty?

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#60 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

As soon as he kick Jackman's ass you are going to love him... :)

It's better to have "forwards" fighters there are "only" 6 def so why would you risk injuries or 5 min penalty?

Because we have less room for a forward on the roster.

Besides, it's not like it's unusual to see a defenseman fighting a lot.  Happens all the time.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.