• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

LGW, where PK Subban isn't worth 3.5 mil, but Kyle Quincey already makes more than that.

LOL.

Edited by fat guy in a maltby jersey, 24 January 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#42 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

LGW, where PK Subban isn't worth 3.5 mil, but Kyle Quincey already makes more than that.

LOL.

Yeah, because we signed him to that. Silly me, how could I not know that Kenny and the internet forum folks work hand in hand?

#43 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

I'd give him 5.5M. He's young and would make our team better right now and a great piece for the future

#44 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Subban just texted me and said he wants to bring some soul back to Detroit!

esteef

Ah - reminds me of this commercial circa spring of 2008...

Edited by F.Michael, 24 January 2013 - 06:08 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#45 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

LOL.

You do realize Quincey makes more because he took us to arbitration and we were forced to pay him that right?

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#46 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

You do realize Quincey makes more because he took us to arbitration and we were forced to pay him that right?

they weren't "forced" to do anything because of arbitration.  he never even made it to arbitration.

the only thing that was required was a qualifying offer of 100% of his previous deal (3.25 mil).

#47 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

they weren't "forced" to do anything because of arbitration.  he never even made it to arbitration.

the only thing that was required was a qualifying offer of 100% of his previous deal (3.25 mil).

you're right, my bad. Although, you can argue his salary wouldn't have been much different in arbitration

#48 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 754 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

I agree that in a vacuum, Getzlaf > Subban. But Subban is 4 years younger, plays a much scarcer position in terms of talent, and there’s no guarantees Getzlaf would sign here (see fallout from Parise/Suter last year), whereas if they trade for Subban, they own him. I think it’s real dangerous to put your eggs in the UFA basket again unless you’re truly going to tank, and don’t really care either way because you’re trying to bottom out to get draft position. I understand that they wouldn’t have to give anything up player-wise for Getzlaf, but really, who are you going to be mad about if they traded him for Subban?

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#49 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I agree that in a vacuum, Getzlaf > Subban. But Subban is 4 years younger, plays a much scarcer position in terms of talent, and there’s no guarantees Getzlaf would sign here (see fallout from Parise/Suter last year), whereas if they trade for Subban, they own him. I think it’s real dangerous to put your eggs in the UFA basket again unless you’re truly going to tank, and don’t really care either way because you’re trying to bottom out to get draft position. I understand that they wouldn’t have to give anything up player-wise for Getzlaf, but really, who are you going to be mad about if they traded him for Subban?

kronwall, datsyuk, z, flip, howie, and brunner

edit: smith and lashoff too

Edited by Euro_Twins, 24 January 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#50 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,076 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

kronwall, datsyuk, z, flip, howie, and brunner

edit: smith and lashoff too

Lashoff? Srsly?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#51 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Lashoff? Srsly?

Ya, the way he has come in and played for us so far, I want to see more of him, he has potential and he is young, why would we give that up? He has been one of our more solid dmen so far

#52 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Look at what Toronto paid for Kessel's rights....

That turned out so well!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!

#53 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

That turned out so well!

That was Burkie....this is reality lol. 

Yep, save for the attitude problems (maybe thats just Montreal and how players are rockstars there...?), he looks like a good one. He could be a great Wing for years to come. Seems like a no-brainer. 

IPB Image

#54 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'd give him 5.5M. He's young and would make our team better right now and a great piece for the future

Agreed. He has a very competitive nature...I like his fire. I heard ( and can't find the link) that he was offered 5 million and he wants 7....so yikes.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!

#55 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,076 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Ya, the way he has come in and played for us so far, I want to see more of him, he has potential and he is young, why would we give that up? He has been one of our more solid dmen so far

I'd rather have Subban than Lashoff.

Now, granted, it'd take more than Lashoff to land Subban via trade. But if it came down to "Throw Lashoff in and you've got yourself a deal," I'd pull that trigger.

Lashoff has been good. I don't think he projects all that high, though. He's here as a necessity; it's not that he was so strong in GR that Holland had no choice but to promote him to the big club.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#56 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

Subban has a horrific attitude. I know people here like to protest that attitude doesn't matter; those people should note that you haven't a clue if this is a case, given that Holland deliberately keeps the locker room free of such personalities. They are more disruptive to team cohesion than you think, and the Wings have long benefited from having a harmonious group.

Agreed. He has a very competitive nature...I like his fire. I heard ( and can't find the link) that he was offered 5 million and he wants 7....so yikes.

In no universe is he worth the salary of a top-five defenseman.

Yeah, cause giving Ericsson 3.2 a year was DEF worth it... :rolleyes:

Given the paucity of good free-agent defensemen and how important he is to the PK, yes, it was worth it. He would have been snapped up by another team for that price in a second had he gone to free agency.

Look at what Toronto paid for Kessel's rights....

And it was a terrible idea. What's your point?

#57 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

If PK was a free agent I'd be more inline with overpaying him to get here. But the fact we'd need to give up players and picks, then sign him to a huge deal, I can see that move really back firing. I like PK as a player, but his maturity is a question, it would only be a matter of time before people turn on him and his slashing penalties. He had double the penalty minutes as any other Wing's defenseman(Took out his 3 majors), other than Quincey(Still had more than him). I don't think you can realistically rely on Subban for a big time contract without him proving his reliability to not take bad penalties that hurt the team.

There is a reason Montreal isn't signing him, even though he's such a popular and good young player.

Edited by Carman, 25 January 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#58 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

I'd take him but only on a shorterm-contract. You can't predict if he fits and paying 6-7 Million to a more or less useless players on a long term would obviously cripple our team. But I doubt that Subban would sign a short term in Detroit if he doesn't do it in Montreal. 

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#59 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,076 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

But I doubt that Subban would sign a short term in Detroit if he doesn't do it in Montreal. 

Maybe he wants out of Montreal. I get that he grew up on the Habs, but, well, who knows.

What I do know is I feel comfortable calling him a kid, which is weird for me because I'm but a wee 26. I think it reflects the good and bad of this package. On the good side, the kid is only 23 years old, and already he has established that he most definitely has the skills to pay the proverbial bills, and this on a shoddy team (2010-11: 14 goals and 24 assists in 17 regular season games with the Habs, 2011-12: helped lead the Habs to the ECF). On the decidedly bad side, the kid does seem to have some "issues." But he's 23. And he's not a Wing. Being a Wing has a way of humbling players and bringing out the best in them.

Is he exactly what we really, truly need on D right now? Not quite, no. But, beggars and choosers and all that. And he does have some great things to offer, no doubt it.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#60 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Maybe he wants out of Montreal. I get that he grew up on the Habs, but, well, who knows.

That's the thing, he doesn't want out of Montreal. He and the franchise would've already been moving if they didn't see a mutual relationship that wanted to be retained. In all of his interviews, he praises Montreal and says that he wants nothing more than to stay with the club. He just thinks he rates more than he actually does.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.