• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

As it stands today Detroit is 10th in the West, and could fall if any of a few teams with games at hand win. They have an inability to hold leads, and haven't been healthy since the first game of the season. All this being said, with the short season, the number of teams that are buying for the last couple spots. And the fact Detroit doesn't seem to have the special teams, goaltending, defense or durability for a long playoff run, should Detroit buy or sell in a month when at the deadline?

Pros of being buyers:

• They could find a Brad Stuart steal, and bolster the defense.
  • If you make the show there's always a chance you make the finals
  • This trade deadline could see big names move, and Detroit does have assets in the farm that others teams want

Cons of being buyers:

• With a lot of potential buyers, and good defensemen being a premium price could be high
  • Anyone moved to Detroit isn't guaranteed to stay after the season
  • While Detroit's farm is in good shape, aside from a few players, a lot of the prospects are boom/bust.

Pros of being sellers:

• With a very deep draft this season, any first or second round picks could turn into impact players in the next few seasons.
  • With a deep free agency coming up in the off season, any salary cleared now will allow Holland more room to pick up a high profile FA
  • Good chance of an over-payment for a player with a lot of teams looking to buy.

Cons of being a seller: 

• Good chance they will either miss the playoffs or be bounced early with the subtraction of any NHL level talent
  • If they trade Abdelkader or Cleary who will we scapegoat? 

So, I'd really like to see what others have to say, since this is just around the corner (5 weeks from now).

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#2 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Sell the stable, keep the farm.  :lol:

Goodbye Cleary, Sammy, Quincey, White, Kindl and Miller.

Hello Tatar, Lashoff, Andersson, Nyquist, Callahan and Sheahan.

Blast it all ya want, but i'd rather watch that line up lose than see the one we have with Cleary on Dats' wing.  This season is a tryout while the Wings transition.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#3 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Sell the stable, keep the farm.  :lol:

Goodbye Cleary, Sammy, Quincey, White, Kindl and Miller.

Hello Tatar, Lashoff, Andersson, Nyquist, Callahan and Sheahan.

Blast it all ya want, but i'd rather watch that line up lose than see the one we have with Cleary on Dats' wing.  This season is a tryout while the Wings transition.

Well I wouldn't mind mind seeing the X-man (Ouellet) or Sproul come up for a try out to see what they can do.

#4 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

From where I sit, and with GM Holland's track record - this team is neither a buyer, nor a seller.

It's looking as though we won't make the playoffs (just my brutal honest opinion); Holland isn't the sort of fella to overpay at the trade deadline;  outside of Dats/Hank/Flip/Howard/Smith/Franzen (mind you Franzen is stretching it) there's not alot of trading power amongst what we have in the stable, and Holland isn't needing a "tweak" for a Cup run - he needs bonafide talent, and the only we can do that is thru the draft.

IMHO the players mention above won't get moved either - it's just not Holland's style.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#5 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

I'd love to see the type of sell off the Ottawa Senators did a few seasons ago. Trade players for prospects and picks. Insert your high quality farm hands into the lineup. Draft high get some elite level talent and move on. Of course their path was a little easier with Karlsson in the pipeline but we have some high grade kids also. They kept Alfie and a few other star vets to help the kids, which we can easily do as well.

#6 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I'd have no complaints on us having a firesale.

#7 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I'd love to see the type of sell off the Ottawa Senators did a few seasons ago. Trade players for prospects and picks. Insert your high quality farm hands into the lineup. Draft high get some elite level talent and move on. Of course their path was a little easier with Karlsson in the pipeline but we have some high grade kids also. They kept Alfie and a few other star vets to help the kids, which we can easily do as well.

Agreed.

What this team needs is a few years worth of luck where the players we pick evolve into "above average" NHL calibre talent.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#8 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I don't think there will be much at the deadline everyone or at least most will be close enough so that they won't sell out at deadline. If your planning big moves your going to be very unhappy
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#9 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Tirekickers.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#10 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Colorado's Shane O'Brien is rumored to be on the block.  I haven't seen much of him.  Anybody have any thoughts?

Edit:  Also, and this is completely unrelated to Shane O'Brien, how does everyone else feel about the possibility of moving Nyquist?  Personally, I feel like Jarnkrok is the future at the center position, and because Nyquist hasn't shown the same level of success at the NHL level as someone like Tatar, I'd rather move him while his value is still high.  Both Khan and Brendan Savage argue that he's untouchable in their Wing's gameday debate today, but I honestly don't see it that way.  With Helm, Dats (maybe), Zetterberg, Flip, and Jarnkrok down the center I think we're good moving forward without Nyquist.  Of course don't just move him for a temporary fix, but if the return was someone young and talented then I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

Edited by kipwinger, 23 February 2013 - 02:45 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#11 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Both. Holland will trade to make the team better long term. A rental is unlikely, but he won't go full rebuild or rely only on the offseason anymore. Look for some 28-29 year old defense acquisitions.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#12 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Why is this thread here? Does nobody realize the wings are only 4 points behind Nashville who are 4th in the west. I know they can't buy a win right now but if they go on a 4 or 5 game winning steak and a few teams go on a skid and the wings will be right back in the playoffs

#13 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

"The way we're looking at it is, if we can get a guy like Darren Helm back...."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#14 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Honestly, getting "a guy like Darren Helm back" will help a ton.  Unfortunately, we still have a horrible defense.  One dimensional players who aren't even particularly good at the that one dimension.  White, Kronwall, Quincey, Colaiacovo, and Kindl, puck movers who are only average at moving the puck.  Ericsson, Lashoff, and Huskins, shutdown guys who are only average at shutting down forwards.  Need to trade for a better defense, and let the forwards improve as injured players return. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#15 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Kronwall, Bertuzzi, and Nyquist for Perry.

White, Colo, Franzen, and Mursak for Yandle.

Howard, Samuelsson, and Brunner for Schneider.

Drop Cleary, Abdelkader, and Huskins.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Perry
Tatar-Helm-Zetterberg
Miller-Andersson-Eaves
Ferraro-Emmerton-Tootoo
Callahan-Jarnkrok

Yandle-Ericsson
Smith-Quincey
Kindl-Lashoff
Ouelette

Schneider
Mrazek

#16 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Why is this thread here? Does nobody realize the wings are only 4 points behind Nashville who are 4th in the west. I know they can't buy a win right now but if they go on a 4 or 5 game winning steak and a few teams go on a skid and the wings will be right back in the playoffs

Exactly, we'll have to tank hard to be completely out of contention come deadline day.  There are still 12 games left after the deadline, 5 at home, 7 on the road.  However it does come after virtual back-to-back west coast road trips, so we may have a good idea how we feel about our team.

The problem with being a buyer is that this team is a long way off 1 or 2 key trades turning us into a legit contender, as well as the ridiculously high prices last year (Quincey for a 1st, Gaustad for a 1st).

The benefit of being a seller is that we do have a few expendable pieces that other teams looking to make a run would be willing to pick up.  Franzen and Filpulla could both fetch a hefty return from a contender looking to bolster their line-up for the playoffs, and in world where Quincey and Gaustad are worth a 1st round pick, veterans like Cleary, Miller, Eaves and, er Quincey, should get a decent return. 

Question is, if we're 6 points back in 11th come April 3rd, will Holland have the balls to blow the thing up for picks and prospects and play the kids the rest of the way?  If we're in that situation, I hope we do, otherwise our long slow decline will continue without an large infusion of young talent.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#17 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Dan Girardi.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#18 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

I don't think we are "a long way off from being a legit contender".  We compete very well 5-5, we've played good teams closely this season when we've had a (nearly) healthy roster, and we've had solid goaltending (regardless of what the Howard scapegoaters say).  We need defense badly.  Specifically top minute stay at home defenders (which Holland has confirmed in interviews).  Those aren't that expensive.  We got Stuart for a 2nd and a 4th.  As I've been saying all long, insert a quality shutdown defender alongside Kronwall, move Ericsson to the 2nd pair with Smith, and use whoever (White/Lashoff, Quincey/Colaiacovo, Kindl/Huskins) as the third pair and our defense is noticeably better in all facets of the game.  In other threads I've mentioned Regehr, Volchenkov, Mark Stuart, Henrik Tallinder as guys who could be had relatively cheaply and who could fill the role I'm talking about but I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of.  A healthy lineup and a solidified defense makes our team a contender, mark my words.   

Edit:  Adding Ladislav Smid to the list of guys I'd like as well. 

Edited by kipwinger, 23 February 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#19 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

And/Or Blake Wheeler.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#20 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I don't think we are "a long way off from being a legit contender".  We compete very well 5-5, we've played good teams closely this season when we've had a (nearly) healthy roster, and we've had solid goaltending (regardless of what the Howard scapegoaters say).  We need defense badly.  Specifically top minute stay at home defenders (which Holland has confirmed in interviews).  Those aren't that expensive.  We got Stuart for a 2nd and a 4th.  As I've been saying all long, insert a quality shutdown defender alongside Kronwall, move Ericsson to the 2nd pair with Smith, and use whoever (White/Lashoff, Quincey/Colaiacovo, Kindl/Huskins) as the third pair and our defense is noticeably better in all facets of the game.  In other threads I've mentioned Regehr, Volchenkov, Mark Stuart, Henrik Tallinder as guys who could be had relatively cheaply and who could fill the role I'm talking about but I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of.  A healthy lineup and a solidified defense makes our team a contender, mark my words.   

Still with you on Regehr/Volchenkov. Though I feel like Volchenkov would cost something like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Brunner, Franzen, eight first-round picks, seven unicorn tears, and one full sixty-minute effort this season. ("Oh man," Ken Holland says, "you had me right up until that last one.")

Don't Toews me, bro!