• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DetroitRedWings1993

Going forward with what we have

Rate this topic

Brent Burns 2.0?

That's where I got the idea from, San Jose did it because they needed offense why not us, we need size on the forward en? I'm just throwing it out there really not going to happen, but he's got good offensive skills, great speed, good size. Just hasn't played defense that well this year.

Never going to happen, but would be interesting to see him because I think he's trying to do too much and makes too many bad decisions defensively, where if he's a winger he could get some more freedom. Does anyone know if he ever played forward in college or before?

Edited by Carman

That's where I got the idea from, San Jose did it because they needed offense why not us, we need size on the forward en? I'm just throwing it out there really not going to happen, but he's got good offensive skills, great speed, good size. Just hasn't played defense that well this year.

Never going to happen, but would be interesting to see him because I think he's trying to do too much and makes too many bad decisions defensively, where if he's a winger he could get some more freedom. Does anyone know if he ever played forward in college or before?

no idea (i don't think so). I think its better if he develops his D abilities though - even if he is a liability from time to time for a bit.

He's only played 40 games in the NHL, only 26 of which have been this season. And he's playing with a defensive corps that is very hit or miss from night to night.

I think it's early to give up on his career as a defenseman.

He's only played 40 games in the NHL, only 26 of which have been this season. And he's playing with a defensive corps that is very hit or miss from night to night.

I think it's early to give up on his career as a defenseman.

Oh I agree.

But I'm not just basing it off his NHL play, he was the same way in the AHL and college. He's always been a risk taker.

His value is higher as a defenseman no doubt. But if he's getting sat and gets passed up by deykeyser, lashoff, kindl etc. rather than sitting him I'd like to see what he could do offensively. You can't say you aren't curious what he would look like with his size, speed and puck skills playing in the top 6:)

It way too early to even talk about it, but I do see similarities between burns and smith that's what caught my attention.

Oh, the fun of puns! I say to re-evaluate our position on Smith and you say move him to forward! I love it!

And that is not sarcasm. Seriously. I'd love to see what he could do at forward, but he has too much potential as a defenseman. He's really the only one in our system that has #1 ability. Sproul and Ouellet are great #2 options for the future, but Smith is the big dog in that race.

I think San Jose was more inclined to roll Burns upfront because he was drafted as a forward. He just holds more value on the back end. I don't believe Smitty played up front ever in his career so it would be harder for him. I know you're not being 100% serious but floating the idea, I just wanted to add a little more to it!

I cannot believe we're talking about the Detroit Red Wings and our options for how to not suck involve moving Smith to forward and Franzen to center, Flip to wing, and Abby to whatever, etc. etc. etc.

I"m as bummed about this team as I've been in a long time. It's ******* obvious that we simply don't have enough competitive hockey players on a nightly basis, yet rather than get any (for three years in a row) we'd rather retread old guys, move guys away from their natural positions, and call up the youngsters (all at one, and for only a few games at a time).

Oh I forgot...and then we wait, and hope, and pray, that our saving grace will come back to us. "Darren Helm is our deadline acquisition". Right. Can't wait for that offensive dynamo to kickstart this team.

I cannot believe we're talking about the Detroit Red Wings and our options for how to not suck involve moving Smith to forward and Franzen to center, Flip to wing, and Abby to whatever, etc. etc. etc.

I"m as bummed about this team as I've been in a long time. It'sf****** obvious that we simply don't have enough competitive hockey players on a nightly basis, yet rather than get any (for three years in a row) we'd rather retread old guys, move guys away from their natural positions, and call up the youngsters (all at one, and for only a few games at a time).

Oh I forgot...and then we wait, and hope, and pray, that our saving grace will come back to us. "Darren Helm is our deadline acquisition". Right. Can't wait for that offensive dynamo to kickstart this team.

It's just a post on the internet, I'm not really expecting Smith to move to forward. Nor am I saying it would a good or right move.

I'm just assessing the situation right now in my head, we are small up front, and will need a bigger body to play bigger minutes as forward for the future right? I mean having Abdelkader as a top line forward just doesn't excite me much, I don't know about you. Smith has skill, he has speed, he has size, yet it just hasn't shown up yet on the defensive end this year. He looks like he's playing his the weight of the world out there right now, I'm only saying if he continues to play like this for more than just this year.

It's just a post on the internet, I'm not really expecting Smith to move to forward. Nor am I saying it would a good or right move.

I'm just assessing the situation right now in my head, we are small up front, and will need a bigger body to play bigger minutes as forward for the future right? I mean having Abdelkader as a top line forward just doesn't excite me much, I don't know about you. Smith has skill, he has speed, he has size, yet it just hasn't shown up yet on the defensive end this year. He looks like he's playing his the weight of the world out there right now, I'm only saying if he continues to play like this for more than just this year.

I understand what you're saying and share your concerns. I too think that Smith has been abysmal on defense this year. I only commented to say that it's sad how far we've fallen when our options come down to speculating on moving a bad defenseman to forward. But I guess that's the situation we're in until this summer (at the earliest) and I don't see it changing so I guess I'm just going to have to live with it. That and wonder how the hell it came to this.

I understand what you're saying and share your concerns. I too think that Smith has been abysmal on defense this year. I only commented to say that it's sad how far we've fallen when our options come down to speculating on moving a bad defenseman to forward. But I guess that's the situation we're in until this summer (at the earliest) and I don't see it changing so I guess I'm just going to have to live with it. That and wonder how the hell it came to this.

Welcome to the club. There's a mini-bar in the corner over there. :sleepy:

This is what teams that are saturated with bottom-6 forwards, are too old, are gutless and soft, don't work hard and haven't had a good draft pick in 21 years look like. It's just how it is. It got this way because we've lost 3 top-4 defenseman in the last 3 seasons and haven't been able to replace them with, at the very least, something close. It got this way because, instead of leaving roster spots open for prospects this season, signed Tootoo (although I've loved his play) and Samuelsson. It got this way because the patchwork defense has mostly failed, as it was destined to, and Howard isn't able to allow 1 goal or fewer every night. It got this way because our forwards are simply unable to generate offense any longer.

This is what we are now. We're in a rebuild, and this is what that feels like. It hurts that the glory days are over, but they are. It's time to let the streak go and start managing in the 21st century.

This is what teams that are saturated with bottom-6 forwards, are too old, are gutless and soft, don't work hard and haven't had a good draft pick in 21 years look like. It's just how it is. It got this way because we've lost 3 top-4 defenseman in the last 3 seasons and haven't been able to replace them with, at the very least, something close. It got this way because, instead of leaving roster spots open for prospects this season, signed Tootoo (although I've loved his play) and Samuelsson. It got this way because the patchwork defense has mostly failed, as it was destined to, and Howard isn't able to allow 1 goal or fewer every night. It got this way because our forwards are simply unable to generate offense any longer.

This is what we are now. We're in a rebuild, and this is what that feels like. It hurts that the glory days are over, but they are. It's time to let the streak go and start managing in the 21st century.

The one positive part of losing some great Dmen is that some of our young D get a lot of playing time, and in all situations. Danny DeKeyser stepped in and has been really good and steady so far. Kindl is the single most improved player in the NHL this year. He's looking comfortable and he's shooting and doing it with confidence. Kronwall has had ups and downs, but he's used to looking around and seeing Lids, Stuart and Rafs. He's by far the most affected by the departures. More than even Babcock and Holland, cause Kronwall's on the front lines with a bunch of rookies and at times it shows.

As for the signings, Kenny needs to start handing out 1 year deals to guys like Colo and Sammy and even Tuzzi. Too many guys with the last year of their contracts taking ice time from young, ready prospects like Nyquist, Tatar and Smith last year who could have benefitted greatly from a season with Lids. Notice last year Smith had 7 pts in 14 games and looked like a future superstar. This year he's been good, but he's making the rookie mistakes that he didn't last year.

The one positive part of losing some great Dmen is that some of our young D get a lot of playing time, and in all situations. Danny DeKeyser stepped in and has been really good and steady so far. Kindl is the single most improved player in the NHL this year. He's looking comfortable and he's shooting and doing it with confidence. Kronwall has had ups and downs, but he's used to looking around and seeing Lids, Stuart and Rafs. He's by far the most affected by the departures. More than even Babcock and Holland, cause Kronwall's on the front lines with a bunch of rookies and at times it shows.

As for the signings, Kenny needs to start handing out 1 year deals to guys like Colo and Sammy and even Tuzzi. Too many guys with the last year of their contracts taking ice time from young, ready prospects like Nyquist, Tatar and Smith last year who could have benefitted greatly from a season with Lids. Notice last year Smith had 7 pts in 14 games and looked like a future superstar. This year he's been good, but he's making the rookie mistakes that he didn't last year.

Totally agree, and you make an interesting point about Kronwall.

I have to disagree with one-year deals to vets. We need to be honest about this youth movement if we really want to install one. Everyone who's ready should have every opportunity to make the team. That means that we need less veteran plugs. We need less of guys like Cleary, Samuelsson, Colaiacovo and Bertuzzi and more guys like Andersson, Tatar, Nyquist, Smith, Lashoff and DeKeyser.

Let's face it. We all knew this day would come along...that we would have to readjust to things. If it puts us down for a bit so be it. It's gotta happen sometime, and maybe now is the time. It's not the fault of any one person - s*** happens. It's best to ride it out and see where we wind up.

Totally agree, and you make an interesting point about Kronwall.

I have to disagree with one-year deals to vets. We need to be honest about this youth movement if we really want to install one. Everyone who's ready should have every opportunity to make the team. That means that we need less veteran plugs. We need less of guys like Cleary, Samuelsson, Colaiacovo and Bertuzzi and more guys like Andersson, Tatar, Nyquist, Smith, Lashoff and DeKeyser.

That's why I was saying to give the vets 1 year contracts so they expire each year and Holland can re-evaluate who he wants on the team and which young guys are ready to come up. Meaning that I wish Holland had signed Colo, Sammy, Bert and those type guys to 1 year when he gave them all 2. I think we're agreeing on the same point but starting at different points.

That's why I was saying to give the vets 1 year contracts so they expire each year and Holland can re-evaluate who he wants on the team and which young guys are ready to come up. Meaning that I wish Holland had signed Colo, Sammy, Bert and those type guys to 1 year when he gave them all 2. I think we're agreeing on the same point but starting at different points.

Agreed, offer them one year deals and if they're not satisfied let them walk. There are worse tragedies, and guys like that aren't all that hard to replace. I can't understand Holland, he makes lowball offers for Pominville, Jagr, and Bouwmeester at the deadline and won't budge and inch. All of those guys are harder to find alternatives for than our old guys. Then when teams don't meet his price he's out the door. But then he'll turn around and give generous offers to guys who are much easier to replace without batting an eye.

I feel like there are 15 of these threads with a point by point explanation of what people want with each individual player. Can't they somehow be combined in a "what I would do if I were Holland" thread?

As far as this particular one goes, I don't hate every idea but any plan that suggests trading Datsyuk is thumbs down for me. Yes, I WOULD rather lose him for nothing. I want that man to be a career Wing.

Oh I agree.

But I'm not just basing it off his NHL play, he was the same way in the AHL and college. He's always been a risk taker.

His value is higher as a defenseman no doubt. But if he's getting sat and gets passed up by deykeyser, lashoff, kindl etc. rather than sitting him I'd like to see what he could do offensively. You can't say you aren't curious what he would look like with his size, speed and puck skills playing in the top 6:)

It way too early to even talk about it, but I do see similarities between burns and smith that's what caught my attention.

Hmm I was onto something after all. Haha

I really think this is a good move, smith has too much natural talent to give up on. I have a good feeling about this forward experiment.