• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DeGraa55

Top 5 defenseman

Rate this topic

Guest DeGraa55

During the game they said babcock has his top five defenseman all ready decided. Quincey being one of them and I assume kronwall, kindl, and Ericson is also there. Who is the fifth? I wasn't sure if they said it or not.

He also said they sixth spot is a 3 man rotation right now hoping someone seizes it.

My hope is the fifth and sixth are smith and dekeyser but it seems maybe white is included in his top 5?

Just wondering if anyone heard the fifth guy is? And what's predictions for the sixth?

Guest DeGraa55

Dekeyser. They said he earned a permanent spot in the lineup

Hmm guess I've been living under a rock and missed that ;( glad to hear it. Hope smith gets that last spot then.

Babcock has five defenseman he considers regulars – Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Kyle Quincey, Jakub Kindl and rookie Danny DeKeyser – leaving Ian White, Carlo Colaiacovo, Brian Lashoff or Brendan Smith to show they deserve to join the aforementioned group.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/04/detroit_red_wings_need_defense.html

During the game they said babcock has his top five defenseman all ready decided. Quincey being one of them and I assume kronwall, kindl, and Ericson is also there. Who is the fifth? I wasn't sure if they said it or not.

He also said they sixth spot is a 3 man rotation right now hoping someone seizes it.

My hope is the fifth and sixth are smith and dekeyser but it seems maybe white is included in his top 5?

Just wondering if anyone heard the fifth guy is? And what's predictions for the sixth?

DeKeyser will be our #1 next year once he takes over all the ice time. Still hasn't been on for a goal against I believe.

Babcock has five defenseman he considers regulars – Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Kyle Quincey, Jakub Kindl and rookie Danny DeKeyser – leaving Ian White, Carlo Colaiacovo, Brian Lashoff or Brendan Smith to show they deserve to join the aforementioned group.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/04/detroit_red_wings_need_defense.html

Keep Smith in as a regular with a regular partner and he'll run with it. Lashoff is good, but I still think Smith will be the real deal.

god, every time the topic of our D is brought up it really pisses me off that we didn't trade White. If he's not going to play then why keep him? I mean even a 5th round pick is better than another filled seat in the press box.

Smitty and Lashoff should split the last spot. Then again, I thought Cola looked pretty goo din the couple games he did play.

I really hope Smith starts getting in form soon. He's been tossed around a lot this season with different pairings, and I think it's been bad for his development. I forget who has it in their signature, but it says that DeKeyser and Smith will be paired up next season. I hope they are correct because I think that would be a good pair.

If White isn't even in the top 5 why the $#%# hasn't he been traded yet? They bought his contract to sit him on the bench? Wow.

DeKeyser is a recent addition. He pushed White down the depth chart. White *was* relatively important at one point.

I really hope Smith starts getting in form soon. He's been tossed around a lot this season with different pairings, and I think it's been bad for his development. I forget who has it in their signature, but it says that DeKeyser and Smith will be paired up next season. I hope they are correct because I think that would be a good pair.

I like that pairing extremely but I am still angry at not giving Smith some time with an alltime top 3 defenseman last season. It would have helped his development soo much just too bad it didn't happen.

Anyway, I just don't understand why Holland didn't trade White and Filps both won't be cap next season, so why not get a first and at least a 3 rd for this duo?!

What team is going to give up a draft pick/player for White?! He's a UFA at the end of this season, in and out of the lineup, and has already been on 5 teams.

A trade is a two-way street folks, and you need a team on the other side that actually needs/wants him. White ain't exactly jumping off paper as a vital acquisition and my guess is that he walks in the summer and a team signs him for next to league minimum.

That sig would be me dude. It's gonna stay there too. I changed it when we signed DeKeyser cause that was taken care of. Now it's time to solidify some pairings. Smith needs to be unleashed to provide offense the way Kronwall could when he was 2nd pairing with Stuart. DeKeyser is so smart back there and poised that it would allow Smith to do just that and know he had some quality back up, which he hasn't had when he's been on with White and Quincey this year. Kindl and Smith doesn't work well cause they're too alike and they give up some odd man rushes.

DeKeyser is a recent addition. He pushed White down the depth chart. White *was* relatively important at one point.

All White ever was, was a noodle stuck in the strainer. Time to go down the drain noodle.

Hmm guess I've been living under a rock and missed that ;( glad to hear it. Hope smith gets that last spot then.

His play said it for him. It's pretty much implied that his spot is secure. :cheesy:

DeKeyser will be our #1 next year once he takes over all the ice time. Still hasn't been on for a goal against I believe.

Keep Smith in as a regular with a regular partner and he'll run with it. Lashoff is good, but I still think Smith will be the real deal.

I agree with everything you said. Except Danny d was on the ice for the scrub goal in front of the net vs St. Louis

White is gone after the season. The one plus from playing Cola is, it does create some value so maybe we can move him. if those 2 are gone our 7 man D is set for next season. The only real question is Smith-better offensively or Lashoff-better defensively. Ideally we play both of them as the third pair and move Quincey. But that would require an agressive GM.

What team is going to give up a draft pick/player for White?! He's a UFA at the end of this season, in and out of the lineup, and has already been on 5 teams.

A trade is a two-way street folks, and you need a team on the other side that actually needs/wants him. White ain't exactly jumping off paper as a vital acquisition and my guess is that he walks in the summer and a team signs him for next to league minimum.

I really thought this was the concept of a "rental" player....you know, you trade him to a playoff contender who needs short term assistance. It's not like he is a bad player, and he is definitely not worthless. I'm sure there was a place for him on someones team considering how high in demand defensemen are. Like I said, a 5th round pick is better than nothing.

White is gone after the season. The one plus from playing Cola is, it does create some value so maybe we can move him. if those 2 are gone our 7 man D is set for next season. The only real question is Smith-better offensively or Lashoff-better defensively. Ideally we play both of them as the third pair and move Quincey. But that would require an agressive GM.

I think Lash > Smith, defensively...significantly, and Smith > Lash Offensively.

I guess I'm not seeing the offensive upside to Smith. His shot from the point is absolutely weak. By comparison, Kronwall, Kindle, and CocaCola can all blast it.

I don't know if you remember but Kindl used to be an offensive dud too. With some guys its all about confidence. Smith looked sick last season when he was jumping up in the play but he is trying to be smarter this year and I feel like the pressure of having 3 vets battle for your spot is making him second guess himself out there.

I absolutely guarantee that we would regret trading Smith or even sitting him for extended periods of time. As I've said before, this is exactly what people were saying when Fischer came into the league. My lord people here hated him for quite some time.

Yes, Smith hasn't been as good as we expected in his first season, but he'll get a lot better. To do that, not only does he have to stay here, but he has to get icetime. Some guys just take a couple of years to really get going.

Obviously, especially with our suckage, peoples' patience is particularly short. But we can't be stupid about this - he will be a key part of our future. There's a reason that he's been highly touted.

Edited by Zetts

Obviously, especially with our suckage, peoples' patience is particularly short. But we can't be stupid about this - he will be a key part of our future. There's a reason that he's been highly touted.

Fisher showed some big promise defensively, his struggles came with confidence with the puck, not so much hockey IQ. Smith is different in the regard that he's not shown to play a basic defensive style. He's trying to run before he learns to walk, and he's stuck trying to make difficult plays, and it's hurting our defense.

Also have to take into account that he's been leapfrogged by a rookie with 6 games. Smith has all the ability in the world, but he's never shown the defensive apititude needed to play the big minutes. I don't think they're asking him to shut anyone down, but he just really lacks in the decision making department, and while it could develop, it very well might not. If he had showed previously at every level to not have a propensity to pinch at bad times, lose his guy in the defensive zone, try to force a pass etc. then I'd feel good about his future as a top 4 guy on our team.

He'll get at least another year, and hopefully he can work on his game, but it's not developed in 2 AHL seasons, and 43 NHL games and there really hasn't even been a bright spot were he's played well for 3-4 games defensively.

Edited by Carman

Guest The Axe

Fisher showed some big promise defensively, his struggles came with confidence with the puck, not so much hockey IQ. Smith is different in the regard that he's not shown to play a basic defensive style. He's trying to run before he learns to walk, and he's stuck trying to make difficult plays, and it's hurting our defense.

Also have to take into account that he's been leapfrogged by a rookie with 6 games. Smith has all the ability in the world, but he's never shown the defensive apititude needed to play the big minutes. I don't think they're asking him to shut anyone down, but he just really lacks in the decision making department, and while it could develop, it very well might not. If he had showed previously at every level to not have a propensity to pinch at bad times, lose his guy in the defensive zone, try to force a pass etc. then I'd feel good about his future as a top 4 guy on our team.

He'll get at least another year, and hopefully he can work on his game, but it's not developed in 2 AHL seasons, and 43 NHL games and there really hasn't even been a bright spot were he's played well for 3-4 games defensively.

Carman, you know better. Defenseman prime is 26 to 34. Kindl and Quincy sucked up until this year. There is a much steeper learning curve for an NHL d. Give Smith time, and he is going to be great. That Anaheim game where he put Ryan on his ass gave me a lot of hope for #2. He just needs seasoning and good coaching. And we have a good coach.

Carman, you know better. Defenseman prime is 26 to 34. Kindl and Quincy sucked up until this year. There is a much steeper learning curve for an NHL d. Give Smith time, and he is going to be great. That Anaheim game where he put Ryan on his ass gave me a lot of hope for #2. He just needs seasoning and good coaching. And we have a good coach.

Quincey had 38 points in his first full season.

I'm not giving up on Smith, but it's not like he's shown to be a great defensive guy at any level. He's always been a phyisical/point producer that took a ton of chances. Hopefully he can be Wisniewski-type soon, but right now a Wisniewski-type guy that doesn't produce is a terrible defenseman and that's why he is fighting to have a 6th spot on a bubble playoff team. I'm just not sold that he has the defensive mind to be a reliable #2, and don't want people to be disappointed if he ends up being a good depth man.

I don't know if you remember but Kindl used to be an offensive dud too. With some guys its all about confidence. Smith looked sick last season when he was jumping up in the play but he is trying to be smarter this year and I feel like the pressure of having 3 vets battle for your spot is making him second guess himself out there.

Smith definitely deserves more time. A year from now I hope he is showing what he is really capable of.