• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:44 AM

40 Gp 14G 17A 31P (1 more point than Hossa, 63 point pace over 82 games) +13  43 Hits all for a $4m cap hit

#2 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:07 AM

Who is... Johan Franzen? What do I win?

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#3 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

Not even close. You forget its for 37 years? What about before his hot streak?

Theres more to players and their "worth" than a couple of stats.

And quit with the equals such and such in an 82 game season. Idc about which player its about its dumb.

#4 crispychris

crispychris

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

I was at game 7 in 09 against Pittsburg. I watched hossa every time he was on the ice. His lack of effort in that game to me was inexcusable. I don't care how hurt,sore, you are it's game f@cking 7 of the stanly cup finals!!! You go all out every shift. You leave absolutey everything you have on the ice. He played like a *****. I skate harder in the bulls*** beer league I play in. After that night I never wanted to see him in a Red Wings sweater again, he dosen't deserve it. I don't care how many points he pits up a year or anything. I was glad to see him go What I just typed is crazy, I'm sorry. It's 4:27 am.

#5 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:44 AM

Not even close. You forget its for 37 years? What about before his hot streak?

Theres more to players and their "worth" than a couple of stats.

And quit with the equals such and such in an 82 game season. Idc about which player its about its dumb.

37 years? I agree about stats and there's a lot more to a player's stats than his ability and will to produce them.

So do you expect someone to score as many points if he doesn't play 82 games. It's not dumb to prorate a players stats over 82 games, it's dumb not to. Franzen will end up with 31-about 32 points this year sounds pathetic for a $4m/yr player unless you account that he only played in 41 games not 82.
All players have hot streaks and you got to account for them in the totals.

Franzen IS a bargain.

#6 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:49 AM

I was at game 7 in 09 against Pittsburg. I watched hossa every time he was on the ice. His lack of effort in that game to me was inexcusable. I don't care how hurt,sore, you are it's game f@cking 7 of the stanly cup finals!!! You go all out every shift. You leave absolutey everything you have on the ice. He played like a *****. I skate harder in the bulls*** beer league I play in. After that night I never wanted to see him in a Red Wings sweater again, he dosen't deserve it. I don't care how many points he pits up a year or anything. I was glad to see him go What I just typed is crazy, I'm sorry. It's 4:27 am.

He was pretty much useless since the Chicago series yet still continued to get top minutes, I don't know how Babcock didn't see it.

#7 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

37 years? I agree about stats and there's a lot more to a player's stats than his ability and will to produce them.
So do you expect someone to score as many points if he doesn't play 82 games. It's not dumb to prorate a players stats over 82 games, it's dumb not to. Franzen will end up with 31-about 32 points this year sounds pathetic for a $4m/yr player unless you account that he only played in 41 games not 82.
All players have hot streaks and you got to account for them in the totals.
Franzen IS a bargain.

No its dumb. Im not saying just franzen its for everyone. A shortened season is a sprint it doeant involve the grind it normally does. It doesnt have the wear and tear a season normally does. Its like the st louis crap. I mean really. His team is second to last in points in their conference. Who is stupid enough to think he could do it for a full season at his age?

Edited by DeGraa55, 26 April 2013 - 05:26 AM.

#8 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

You feel that way about hossa. I want to hear your opinion on franzen then your rant must be better than mine!

#9 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

No its dumb. Im not saying just franzen its for everyone. A shortened season is a sprint it doeant involve the grind it normally does. It doesnt have the wear and tear a season normally does. Its like the st louis crap. I mean really. His team is second to last in points in their conference. Who is stupid enough to think he could do it for a full season at his age?

If he and Stamkos tried as hard defensively, they would score less but win more. I think he could keep up a similar pace over 82 games but not if winning became a priority over scoring points.

#10 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

Who would you rather have? Franzen or Wayne Simmonds?

Im taking Simmonds. 9 years younger, cap hit is a shade lower, and the 6 years he has left on his contract are actually in his prime. Hes also like a black Holmstrom that knows how to fight.

Dont get me wrong, I like Mule alot when he plays like this, but at this point Simmonds is the better bargain moving forward.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#11 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

If he and Stamkos tried as hard defensively, they would score less but win more. I think he could keep up a similar pace over 82 games but not if winning became a priority over scoring points.

Out of curiosity how many points did he have these last three years and how did it rank with rest of league?

You think he can lead over an 82 game season so look it up. Look at last three or four or five. When he was younger....

Im taking Simmonds. 9 years younger, cap hit is a shade lower, and the 6 years he has left on his contract are actually in his prime. Hes also like a black Holmstrom that knows how to fight.

Dont get me wrong, I like Mule alot when he plays like this, but at this point Simmonds is the better bargain moving forward.

Id take him.

#12 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

Out of curiosity how many points did he have these last three years and how did it rank with rest of league?

You think he can lead over an 82 game season so look it up. Look at last three or four or five. When he was younger....

Id take him.

He has 58 (1st) this year. 74 (18th), 99 (2nd), 94 (6th) and 80 (16th) in his previous 4 seasons. I'm pretty sure he would be top 5 in the league for the last 5 years, top 5 in the last 4 years, top 5 in the last 3 years and top 5 in the last 2.

#13 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

I would rather have Simmons, he is much tougher than Franzen and the Wings really need some toughness. He is an even better bargain than Franzen but that doesn't mean that Franzen isn't a great bargain as well

#14 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

He had a shoulder injury that required him miss half of the next season. Every hurt your shoulder? I broke mine, and I play hockey (in beer leagues), and I can tell you, the fact that he was playing showed just how much effort he was putting in. Sorry that you think that he should have magically regenerated or something, but what about all the other players that also didn't give it all game 7? 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#15 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

Decent stats?  Yes.  Bargain at $4M cap hit?  I wouldn't go that far.  I don't like the $4M in general, but my biggest issue is that there is 7 years left on it and he is 33 or something like that.  Everyone talks about his playoff abilities, but he's sucked in the playoffs just as often as when he's been really good.

#16 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

And Franzen - healthy - busts his ass every shift of every game.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#17 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

He gets way too much hate. Some of it is understandable, when he's not playing his heart out like he is lately it can look like he doesn't care. But for his cap hit he is a good deal, and I agree with Babcock that he's our "x factor". When he wants to he can dominate games like a 7-8 mil player can.

Edited by dat's sick, 26 April 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#18 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Consistently inconsistent.

But I'll take how he's playing now all day.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#19 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

So this thread is serious?!  I can never tell around here ahahaha...The facts are right now he IS a bargain for the points he puts up, will he STILL be a bargain when he's 52?  Who know's but he's the Mule right now and it's the perfect time.  

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#20 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

With the large caveat that when Franzen plays with intensity he's one of the best forwards in the game - but the man floated for 35 or more games this year and played like a 9 year old girl at times.

A hot streak doesn't mean he's a bargain all of a sudden.  It means he needs to bring that same intensity over the full season instead of just when the Wings backs' are up against the wall.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.