• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

His last parting shot? i know I've got one too many "Bryzgalov"s.

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 29 April 2013 - 07:17 PM.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#2 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

He does speak the truth
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#3 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Most sports writers are jokes. He's right. I mean, in Detroit...who is trusted? Khan...St. James....and that's about it?

#4 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

I know his English "mastery" makes it much worse than it is, but he is such a crazy weirdo!!  Hilarious, but crazy!

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#5 redwings15

redwings15

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Didn't seem that crazy to me

#6 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

The worst move in Bryz's career was being moved out of Anaheim...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#7 jfranzen

jfranzen

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Since when does anyone expect sensationalist sports writers to be objective about anything? It has to be expected that theyre gonna pick one thing and harp on it to know end if they don't know anything about hockey.
I'm offended that you're offended.

#8 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

The worst move in Bryz's career was being moved out of Anaheim.

Not really. He had good success in Phoenix. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#9 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

.Goalies are the scapegoat for bad teams. Bryz is a damn good goalie, had a bad year, behind a really tough defensive team. Lots of problems in Philly, Bryzgalov wasn't great, but he wasn't the biggest issue either.

People need to understand how important a team is to a goalie's play. No other position in the game relies on other people to make your job easier. Look at how Ottawa, Blues and Phoenix always has good goalies, is it because the goalies are great, or the system makes the goalies job easier? Saw it this season wtih Howard, when the team struggled defensively so did Howard, but when the team didn't allow 10 breakaways a game his stats shoot up to the top. There isn't a Hasek type goalie in the league that can carry a crap team, the expectations on goalies is often unfair.

#10 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

I like the things Bryz says.  I hear he's weird, but what he said there made sense.  In fact, it was almost wise.  Maybe he's just too smart for his own good to thrive in a sports environment.  Sports writers are among the worst paid writers in the world, after all.They seldom think critically, rely on formula and cliches to churn out article after article, and sensationalize everything.  They're bad writers, too.

I wish we lived in a world where deviating from the talking points didn't make headlines.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#11 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

Since when does anyone expect sensationalist sports writers to be objective about anything? It has to be expected that theyre gonna pick one thing and harp on it to know end if they don't know anything about hockey.

Since nobody wants to read the Sensationalist Hockey Page. 

I think its the dying print media...there is less money for quality sports writers, so they end up hiring some ****** that doesn't know jack about the game straight out of college. 

"Oh that guy that wears the big pad things and talks funny was sleeping....GOTS TO WRITE ABOUT THAT!"

#12 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

Wow. Refreshing - and worrisome -  to see such honesty behind such crazy eyes.  :w00t2:  :shocking:

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#13 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

I like the things Bryz says.  I hear he's weird, but what he said there made sense.  In fact, it was almost wise.  Maybe he's just too smart for his own good to thrive in a sports environment.  Sports writers are among the worst paid writers in the world, after all.They seldom think critically, rely on formula and cliches to churn out article after article, and sensationalize everything.  They're bad writers, too.

I wish we lived in a world where deviating from the talking points didn't make headlines.

You just described every article Mitch Albom ever wrote. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#14 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

Good for you Bryz.  Every single experience with journalists that I or someone I know has had, has done nothing but reinforce my belief that they are the most arrogant, above-the-law, entitlement whores on the planet.  And they really, really don't like it when anyone calls them out on it.  And modern sports journalism is just the pits - trashy, simplified sensationalism.

1st rule of journalism - never let the truth get in the way of a good story. 

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#15 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

Let's just say it helps when they know a little about hockey.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#16 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

Good for him to speak out against the media. They are all talking like the know it all and never give any real advises on how to really improve a team, given that there are some restrictions and  deeper question than just writing a damn article.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#17 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

Bryzgalov seems like he has lots of thought-out opinions in his head and I'm glad he doesn't shy away in expressing them even though his English isn't perfect. Sports media and fans can be so unfair. It's not like he's the first goalie to struggle in Flyers. Or maybe I should say that he isn't the first goalie who's played in Flyers team that's struggled to defend. 

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#18 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

Being in the Phily area I know first hand there media is a joke. It's pretty blatant that a lot of the guys that write for CSN (Comcast sports net) are penguins fans or another team. There are a view good ones but more often then not they get left behind because of the meat heads that lead the way with the "controversial" articles

#19 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

While it's "refreshing", a goalie using the media as a scapegoat for their lackluster season and a possible downward spiral in their career is like...

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#20 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

While it's "refreshing", a goalie using the media as a scapegoat for their lackluster season and a possible downward spiral in their career is like...

I don't think he did that. He accused the media of never being positive and not knowing much of hockey. He didn't blame them for his or his team's play.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |