• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Impressed with our young core..

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

Though I don't think that we're going to have the horses to make a finals run this post-season (esp. with DeKeyser out), I have been quite impressed with our young core in the last two games, and to end the regular season. I don't think that next season is going to be the season either (too many bad contracts still on the books - M. Samuelsson, T. Bertuzzi, P. Eaves, K. Quincey, C. Colaiacovo). But the next season, I think, could be the season..

IF we can get Pavel to return for an extra season after his contract expires. IF we can retain the rest of our talent on expiring contracts. And IF we can add an elite goal-scoring wing and RH PP D-Man..

I think we could have a team that's good enough to win it all again, in two seasons.

What do you guys think? And where might we find that elite wing and defenseman?

J. Franzen-P. Datsyuk-???
V. Filppula-H. Zetterberg-D. Brunner
G. N
yquist-C. Jarnkrok-T. Tatar
J. Abdelkader-D. Helm-J. Andersson
C. Emmerton, J. Tootoo
*R. Sheahan, T. Pulkkinen, T. Jurco, M. Frk

N. Kronwall-???
D. DeKe
yser-J. Ericsson
B. Smith-J. Kindl
B. Lashoff
*R. Sproul, X. Oullet

J. Howard
P. Mrazek
*T. McCollum

Edited by blueadams

Guest blueadams

That third line could potentially be the best in the NHL. I'm excited for our future.

Would Deke be eligible to win the Calder next year anyone?

There's an exciting group of talented young forwards in the pipe-line, for sure.

Im impressed with them. The problem is I dont see the next Hank or Pav in the system right now. I see a bunch of good 2nd-3rd liners but not top 1st liners.

We'll need to make smart FA acquisitions.

If we had that lineup it would be like rolling with a first-line, two second line, and a third line. Which would be awesome.

But I would keep Brunner with Nyquist and Andersson, their chemistry is definitely growing.

And, if we dont pick up that top line scorer (that we desperately need) this offseason then I would keep Abby on the first line. He's definitely making a case for himself that he deserves to be there.

The person I am most excited for is Tatar. He's gonna be great.

Was wondering this myself. But, then again, if he is, he'll be up against all of the hype Seth Jones is getting. I know nothing about the kid so I don't know if there is anything to worry about.

Guest blueadams

If we had that lineup it would be like rolling with a first-line, two second line, and a third line. Which would be awesome.

But I would keep Brunner with Nyquist and Andersson, their chemistry is definitely growing.

And, if we dont pick up that top line scorer (that we desperately need) this offseason then I would keep Abby on the first line. He's definitely making a case for himself that he deserves to be there.

The person I am most excited for is Tatar. He's gonna be great.

Was wondering this myself. But, then again, if he is, he'll be up against all of the hype Seth Jones is getting. I know nothing about the kid so I don't know if there is anything to worry about.

I think a truly elite goal-scorer in place of Abdelkader is essential.

if the Wings retain Filppula at his demands, there wont be much room to add that scoring winger and RH top line defender...trade Val at the draft for Erik Cole...

I haven't heard much about Val's contract demands, but I'd imagine that he could be retained at a career-relative bargain, given his performance this season.

And there's cap room now. Once some of these big bad contracts are off the books, we'll have room to add. Cap will go up in the next two seasons too I'm sure.

Im impressed with them. The problem is I dont see the next Hank or Pav in the system right now. I see a bunch of good 2nd-3rd liners but not top 1st liners.

there was a time when no one had any idea that hank and pav were the next sergei and stevie. just gotta put the prospects in the best position to grow into players like that. unless you have a top 10 pick, the player often comes out of nowhere. and i think we do have players that can grow into legit 1st liners. to me, thats the most frustrating part about holland signing guys like bertuzzi and sammy. every roster spot they take up is one less that can be used for a young guy to get some playing time. 'luckily' we had so many injuries this year that many of the young guys did get to play. the more experience we can get our young players while our stars are still around, the more they will learn.

there was a time when no one had any idea that hank and pav were the next sergei and stevie. just gotta put the prospects in the best position to grow into players like that. unless you have a top 10 pick, the player often comes out of nowhere. and i think we do have players that can grow into legit 1st liners. to me, thats the most frustrating part about holland signing guys like bertuzzi and sammy. every roster spot they take up is one less that can be used for a young guy to get some playing time. 'luckily' we had so many injuries this year that many of the young guys did get to play. the more experience we can get our young players while our stars are still around, the more they will learn.

While I understand the point you are making when it comes to players leading this team, but with all due respect, Hank and Pav are far from the next Sergei and Steve....If they were, we'd have more than 1 Stanley Cup in the last 10 years...but again, I undertand the point you are trying make....

While I understand the point you are making when it comes to players leading this team, but with all due respect, Hank and Pav are far from the next Sergei and Steve....If they were, we'd have more than 1 Stanley Cup in the last 10 years...but again, I undertand the point you are trying make....

this was my thought exactly, we do not have another sergei and stevie, especially cause those two could score a lot of goals.

if the Wings retain Filppula at his demands, there wont be much room to add that scoring winger and RH top line defender...trade Val at the draft for Erik Cole...

I can't see them paying Flip around $5 mill if that's what his demands really are. Minus last season, he's shown himself to be a serviceable 35-40 point guy.

With all the assets the Wings suddenly have on the blueline, it'll be interesting to see if they make a bold move to get a sniper or to bring in a true top pairing guy to help Kronner.

while this is totally tangential to the actual conversation, in their primes, both sets of players were top 10 talents. obviously the wings haven't had as much success with cups lately, but i dont think that can be attributed to 13 and 40. i think the big difference is just the eras they played in. stevie and sergei put up super pimp numbers because goal scoring was much more common back then.

on topic, i just remember back to a time when fans were lamenting that the wings had no young players to replace yzerman, federov, shanahan, etc. and then low and behold we managed to keep scoring goals without having to overpay for top end forwards. i genuinely feel some of our young players have the ability to make it happen again. i also think there is a ton of reason to be excited about our defensive prospects.

We're gonna need size and strength up front like whoa.

Lucic's days in Boston are numbered. Steal him.

Snag Wheeler. I don't care how important he is to them. Give them some candy. Everyone loves candy. And you know what happens if you don't get enough sugar? You die.

And. Of course. Dan Girardi.

I dunno how I feel about our young guys overall, thus far. I mean, I sort of have to do it player-by-player.

Nyquist, good. Smith, ehhhh. Lashoff good. DeKeyser very good. Etc.

I must disagree. I think Nyquist is the next Datsyuk. Also our GR youth is pretty sick, I haven't watched much of them, but followed talks and I wouldn't sleep on someone like Jurco. I think we at least have 1 elite talent in our system.

I like Flip but not at $5 million, he is replaceable for sure.

Guest mjtm77

I must disagree. I think Nyquist is the next Datsyuk. Also our GR youth is pretty sick, I haven't watched much of them, but followed talks and I wouldn't sleep on someone like Jurco. I think we at least have 1 elite talent in our system.

I like Flip but not at $5 million, he is replaceable for sure.

I like Nyquist allot, but your just crazy or irrational

Guest Crymson

Yes. He is not considered to have played an entire season.

Trade him at the draft for a guy who is overpaid and played with so little heart this season that Habs fans were happy to see him leave town?

I see where your comming from but there is one big difference. Back before when Hank and Pav were about to break into the team there wasnt the same amount of information available about prospects. Basically unless they were in the minors or a close by junior team you couldnt find any info on them. Now you can watch streams of prospects playing on the opposite side of the world and find any amount of info about them instantly.

As of today, we don't have any top end talent for the forward corp ready to come up. 0 zip nadda. I watch these guys in GR, nothing to get worked up about. Even Nyquist and tatar are 40 point per year guys at best. How many times this series has nyquist been on the ice? 15? 20? Most of our forward talent is support talent. the 3rd guy you put on a line to fill a specific role. Not guys that can carry a line. Jarnkrok is no where near being ready to play in the NHL. In the one game-yes only 1 game Is aw him play this year, he didn't even look AHL ready.

On the plus side, the blueline looks good for a long time. Kindl 26, Smith, Dekeyser, lashoff all around 23, and Sproul on the way-20. That is a very good 5 man group.

Guest Johnz96

Back in 03 most people didn't see the next Yzerman or Fedorov in the system.

That third line could potentially be the best in the NHL. I'm excited for our future.

"players could only be eligible if they were under 26 years old by September 15 of their rookie season.[1]

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played any more than 25 games previously in any single season, nor have played in more than six games in each of two separate preceding seasons in any major professional league"

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calder_Memorial_Trophy

DD played 11 games this year and will still be 23 by Sept. so he would still be eligible next year.

Guest The Axe

Back in 03 most people didn't see the next Yzerman or Fedorov in the system.

Not true. Hank and Pasha were good from the get go. Read all of Hull's quotes. They were on the 3rd line is all. People knew these guys were future all stars back then.

Not true. Hank and Pasha were good from the get go. Read all of Hull's quotes. They were on the 3rd line is all. People knew these guys were future all stars back then.

You are absolutely correct. Pav was already undressing opposing players as a rookie, as evidence by this clip where he undresses Adam Foote...

...He was doing things like this and was a big reason why Boyd the Void had 9 goals and 25 points that year, which in todays NHL would net him a $5M contract!

Also most if not all NHL analysts and "experts" talk a lot about how Henrik Zetterberg was the only NON-NHL player to be on Team Sweden's roster for the Olympics and how he fit right in with the rest of the NHL players. Also, Zetterberg was runner up to the Calder trophy with 44 points his rookie season. I know the comparison's are for those two and Stevie and Sergei, but folks are also calling Tatar and Nyquist the next Hank and Pav... Those two may be the next eventual leaders of this team, but in the same respect that Hank and Pav were nowhere near the next Steve and Sergei, neither Tatar or Nyquist are the talent Hank and Pav were when they came into the NHL...no disrespect to any of the players...3 sets of players, 3 different NHL era's....

You knew Steve was a star in his rookie season....you knew Sergei was a star in his rookie season...you knew Pav was a star, and you knew Hank was a star...next year should be the official rookie season for both Nyquist and Tatar, we will see.

Another thing to consider, none of Yzerman, Fedorov, Zetterberg or Datsyuk spent ANY time in the AHL before the started in the NHL. They were stars when they arrived here. I know the organization was different when Steve and Sergei were brought here, but Holland was in charge when Pav and Z were brought here and they didn't spend one minute in the AHL. Nyquist and Tatar are talented and seem like they will be great players one day, but the super star quality that Hank and Pav had just isn't there with Nyquist and Tatar...

Guest The Axe

You are absolutely correct. Pav was already undressing opposing players as a rookie, as evidence by this clip where he undresses Adam Foote...

...He was doing things like this and was a big reason why Boyd the Void had 9 goals and 25 points that year, which in todays NHL would net him a $5M contract!

Also most if not all NHL analysts and "experts" talk a lot about how Henrik Zetterberg was the only NON-NHL player to be on Team Sweden's roster for the Olympics and how he fit right in with the rest of the NHL players. Also, Zetterberg was runner up to the Calder trophy with 44 points his rookie season. I know the comparison's are for those two and Stevie and Sergei, but folks are also calling Tatar and Nyquist the next Hank and Pav... Those two may be the next eventual leaders of this team, but in the same respect that Hank and Pav were nowhere near the next Steve and Sergei, neither Tatar or Nyquist are the talent Hank and Pav were when they came into the NHL...no disrespect to any of the players...3 sets of players, 3 different NHL era's....

You knew Steve was a star in his rookie season....you knew Sergei was a star in his rookie season...you knew Pav was a star, and you knew Hank was a star...next year should be the official rookie season for both Nyquist and Tatar, we will see.

Another thing to consider, none of Yzerman, Fedorov, Zetterberg or Datsyuk spent ANY time in the AHL before the started in the NHL. They were stars when they arrived here. I know the organization was different when Steve and Sergei were brought here, but Holland was in charge when Pav and Z were brought here and they didn't spend one minute in the AHL. Nyquist and Tatar are talented and seem like they will be great players one day, but the super star quality that Hank and Pav had just isn't there with Nyquist and Tatar...

Spot on. In 100% agreement.

Guest Johnz96

Spot on. In 100% agreement.

That's so not true. Noone KNEW Pavel would be a star.

Pav and Zetterberg came to North America at an older age than Nyquist and Datsyuk, in fact Pav was older as a rookie than Nyquist and Tatar are now.

It is doubtful that they will ever be as good as Pav and Z but the same could be said for most top 5 picks in the draft. Pav is arguably the best player in the world.

Edited by Johnz96