Photo
* - - - - 11 votes

Should Howard be benched?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Howard be benched?

Should we bench Jimmy Howard?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

He has to steal game 3. It's critical for his team, for his confidence and for the series. He needs to shake off the last 2 games and play like he did the last 5 games- 2 shutouts. Huge game for Jimmy....moreso than anyone on this team. He is a competitor....il think he bounces back
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#22 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Geesus these threads get old

#23 Richdg

Richdg

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

He has to steal game 3. It's critical for his team, for his confidence and for the series. He needs to shake off the last 2 games and play like he did the last 5 games- 2 shutouts. Huge game for Jimmy....moreso than anyone on this team. He is a competitor....il think he bounces back

ummmm game 3 was last night and we lost 0-4! LOL, I know you meant game 4.

#24 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,525 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

Howard is a stud. He's the reason we're even in the playoffs and will probably have to be the reason we advance, if we do. There is really no option to bench him. Teams lose games sometimes and that makes the starting goaltender's stats ugly.

If I could "like" this about 1,000 times, I would. 

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#25 Pat

Pat

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

The problem is there is no rallying when we're behind, so if he lets in 1 soft goal and we're losing it's over. We can't come back in games and we can't afford to be behind.

#26 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

I voted NO and also voted a 1 star for this thread.

That's where I stand.

#27 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

These anti Howard threads are getting old fast...

I'm not going to repeat what everyone said about how he is the reason we are in playoffs no matter how painfully obvious it is. Howard is our only goalie and if people honestly think Gus can steal us a playoff game this fan base is crazier then I thought.

You can't steal a game when your offen gives you no support, and your defense doesn't give you much support. We re down 2-1 in this series because in our two loses we have combined for 1 goal not because Howard can't stop the puck.

#28 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

With the Ducks taking the momentum away after last night's loss I feel it's time for a goaltending change. Howard looks lost whenever the Ducks are within like 10 feet of the crease. He's been letting in soft goals all series, and rarely makes any big saves. I'm having a flashback to the 2008 season when Hasek was pulled for Osgood and then we started to pick up our game. The defense probably feels helpless because they're afraid to make a single mistake now because they know it will end up in the back of the net. It's Howard's job to bail out SOME of these mistakes, but he rarely does.

If you take a look at where Howard ranks so far in the playoffs for GAA and SV %, he is currently sitting at 15th place. That's an absolute joke. 

4vmpdx.png

What does everyone else think? Is it time to bench Jimmy?

Are you serious?

#29 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

The problem is there is no rallying when we're behind, so if he lets in 1 soft goal and we're losing it's over. We can't come back in games and we can't afford to be behind.

So in other words.. for you, anything less than a shutout every single playoff games is unacceptable. Awesome. On top of Howard getting 16 shutouts during the playoffs for us to be successful he needs to be the team captain and rally the players to put up one goal a game. Not sure what Babs is doing on the bench but I think we have a new head coach here with this logic.  :eh:

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#30 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

No, cause Jonas Gustavsson is our backup.

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#31 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

Lol is this a joke?

#32 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Merge this with the other Howard thread

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

He needs to be better, but no is the answer.

If we had a "2008 Osgood" type player, I'd likely say yes.  Ozzie was an All Star that year and was a proven netminder already.  

But we don't have that option as a backup.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

Howard has also shown incredible ability to bounce back from bad games. After his bad third period, he responded with about 40 minutes of flawless play, and then was hung out to dry in the third by a deflated wings team. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the star of the series from here on out.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#35 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#36 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

We should bench the power play units for not scoring (or even shooting the little black round thing at the meshy thing where the guy in big cushions was hanging out) with all that consecutive power play time before we bench Jimmah.

#37 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Howard is part of the issue. I usually defend him, and he's played well a lot of the time, but he can't be allowing 3 or 4 goals every third period. He isn't Hung out to dry on all of them. We are getting just as good chances as Anageim, but Hiller is making those saves. He's not the only problem but he needs to be better.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#38 RedStormRising

RedStormRising

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Is this thread a joke?

#39 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Howard is part of the issue. I usually defend him, and he's played well a lot of the time, but he can't be allowing 3 or 4 goals every third period. He isn't Hung out to dry on all of them. We are getting just as good chances as Anageim, but Hiller is making those saves. He's not the only problem but he needs to be better.

Pretty much.

Sometimes, players make goalies look bad, but other times, the goalie makes players look better than what they are.  There are invariably going to be defensive mistakes and good scoring chances in every game.  When a goalie swallows those, everybody tends to forget those mistakes.  

Howard has been pedestrian for us in the playoffs in his career.  I can't remember him stealing too many games, but I can remember him choking a few away.  His numbers are pretty average in the playoffs.  Yes, the teams around him haven't been 2002 'esque, but we've seen hot goalies carrying teams before.    

Howard carried us into these playoffs, but now he has to play like someone that can carry a team in the playoffs.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#40 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

Dumbest thread in a while
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!