• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Should Howard be benched?

Rate this topic

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

These anti Howard threads are getting old fast...

I'm not going to repeat what everyone said about how he is the reason we are in playoffs no matter how painfully obvious it is. Howard is our only goalie and if people honestly think Gus can steal us a playoff game this fan base is crazier then I thought.

You can't steal a game when your offen gives you no support, and your defense doesn't give you much support. We re down 2-1 in this series because in our two loses we have combined for 1 goal not because Howard can't stop the puck.

With the Ducks taking the momentum away after last night's loss I feel it's time for a goaltending change. Howard looks lost whenever the Ducks are within like 10 feet of the crease. He's been letting in soft goals all series, and rarely makes any big saves. I'm having a flashback to the 2008 season when Hasek was pulled for Osgood and then we started to pick up our game. The defense probably feels helpless because they're afraid to make a single mistake now because they know it will end up in the back of the net. It's Howard's job to bail out SOME of these mistakes, but he rarely does.

If you take a look at where Howard ranks so far in the playoffs for GAA and SV %, he is currently sitting at 15th place. That's an absolute joke.

4vmpdx.png

What does everyone else think? Is it time to bench Jimmy?

Are you serious?

The problem is there is no rallying when we're behind, so if he lets in 1 soft goal and we're losing it's over. We can't come back in games and we can't afford to be behind.

So in other words.. for you, anything less than a shutout every single playoff games is unacceptable. Awesome. On top of Howard getting 16 shutouts during the playoffs for us to be successful he needs to be the team captain and rally the players to put up one goal a game. Not sure what Babs is doing on the bench but I think we have a new head coach here with this logic. :eh:

Howard has also shown incredible ability to bounce back from bad games. After his bad third period, he responded with about 40 minutes of flawless play, and then was hung out to dry in the third by a deflated wings team. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the star of the series from here on out.

We should bench the power play units for not scoring (or even shooting the little black round thing at the meshy thing where the guy in big cushions was hanging out) with all that consecutive power play time before we bench Jimmah.

Howard is part of the issue. I usually defend him, and he's played well a lot of the time, but he can't be allowing 3 or 4 goals every third period. He isn't Hung out to dry on all of them. We are getting just as good chances as Anageim, but Hiller is making those saves. He's not the only problem but he needs to be better.

Howard is part of the issue. I usually defend him, and he's played well a lot of the time, but he can't be allowing 3 or 4 goals every third period. He isn't Hung out to dry on all of them. We are getting just as good chances as Anageim, but Hiller is making those saves. He's not the only problem but he needs to be better.

Pretty much.

Sometimes, players make goalies look bad, but other times, the goalie makes players look better than what they are. There are invariably going to be defensive mistakes and good scoring chances in every game. When a goalie swallows those, everybody tends to forget those mistakes.

Howard has been pedestrian for us in the playoffs in his career. I can't remember him stealing too many games, but I can remember him choking a few away. His numbers are pretty average in the playoffs. Yes, the teams around him haven't been 2002 'esque, but we've seen hot goalies carrying teams before.

Howard carried us into these playoffs, but now he has to play like someone that can carry a team in the playoffs.

No but very short-leash and if its even just to light a fire under them, there is nothing to lose.

A short leash from his left ankle tied to the crossbar. Lately I get nervous when he leaves the crease to play the puck. While the Calgary game was the worst I've seen by far, he sure made it far too easy for Getzlaff to score the second goal last night. Brunner made the initial mistake by turning it over but Howard seemed a little slow in deciding to leave the crease and try to knock the puck away from Getzlaff. I voted no to pulling Howard but his decision making playing the puck worries me.

They didn't trust Gustavsson to play in regular season games, what makes you think they trust him in the playoffs????? The only way Howard comes out is if he dies. Even then, he might be better than Gustavsson.

And replace him with who? Look I'm always been on the we can't win it all with Howard bus but there is no realistic option behind him right now. "Monster" is a joke and our other goalies don't have more than a couple games of NHL experience. None of the goals last night were his fault either. 3 players left open in front of the net/slot and a turnover right in front of the net.

Edited by Number19

as a goalie i always blame myself for my team going out but thids is not jimmy our Scoring sucks 4-0 llast night im pretty sure goalies don't come out and score either so how is it immy? if we would have lost 1-0 last night it would have been the same NO GOALS!

Guest Crymson

Every game he lets in 1-2 soft goals, after awhile it's time to make a change. I think he's what is holding us back right now.

Sure, we've got lots of backup goalies who can score goals.

Might as well.

Correct, because coming back from a 1-2 hole in a series is something that no team has ever done. Are you for real?

No but very short-leash and if its even just to light a fire under them, there is nothing to lose.

Nothing to lose? In a 2-1 series?

The problem is there is no rallying when we're behind, so if he lets in 1 soft goal and we're losing it's over. We can't come back in games and we can't afford to be behind.

Besides the fact that that doesn't make any sense at all, exactly why would it then be better to bench him in favor of an inferior goaltender who is more likely to let in bad goals?

Edited by Crymson