• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:13 AM

Datsyuk's strong 2 way play, face offs, and ability to bring us back from the dead when noone else can are the most important things to our team. If he doesnt roof that 35' wrister top shelf to tie it 2 - 2, we lose in 5 games. No OT glory for Nyquist or Brunner. No game 6 herpics from Z. No back-stopping magnoficence from Howard.

Nope. That's a very childish logic. First, this series wasn't "brought back from the dead" by one player as you put it. We won in Anaheim game 2 so im not sure how you pretend as though red wings are "dead". This was a close series, not sure which series you were following. Also, If that was the case, that Datsyuk "brought them back from the dead", then Franzen wouldn't be sitting at 3 goals, Zet wouldn't be sitting at 3 goals, Brunner wouldn't be sitting at 2 goals and 3 assists as a rookie. This was a team effort by the leaders and rookies and Jimmy kept them in as well.

Secondly, the top shelf roof shot wasn't an elimination game so that extreme example goes out the window. Third of all the ones that were in fact elimination games were games 6 and 7 in which Jimmy showed up strong and Captain led the way. By you're same logic, if Zet doesn't slap the OT winner in game 6 then the wings ARE eliminated if Anaheim scores. If Howard doesn't make a save on Selanne's point blank shot in game 6 then the wings could have been potentially eliminated as well.

Also, 2 way play was shown by Z as well, especially in game 7 with the nice takeaway during the third period. So although Datsyuk was a better 2 way player, he wasn't the ONLY two way player, hence that doesn't really help towards his MVP status as there were contributions from others. In addition, to the comment "No back-stopping magnoficence from Howard": ill throw the converse at you: If Howard didn't save their butts with his saves, then Pav would be packing it up after game 4 and headed home to Russia rather than score the goal in game 6 on his backhand.

Dats is our MOST VALUABLE PLAYER. Period. Doesnt matter when.

Actually, this thread is about round 1 and so it DOES matter "when" someone is the MVP. As for round 1, it goes to Howard. And believe me, im not a huge Howard fan, but im realistic about facts. I'm not going to jump on my favorite players bandwagon every time. Pasha is one of my favorite players of all time but if it weren't for Jimmy, or Z's game winner, wings would have packed up and stayed home Sunday night.

Edited by kickazz, 14 May 2013 - 02:11 AM.

#22 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

MVP Jimmy
Unsung Brunner
Best beard Z
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

I think Nyquist was unbelievable. He was just so dang hungry. He also reminded me of a young Datsyuk playing on Hull's line and overhandling the puck at times, which is not a bad place to start. I think he will develop nicely.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#24 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Nope. That's a very childish logic. First, this series wasn't "brought back from the dead" by one player as you put it. We won in Anaheim game 2 so im not sure how you pretend as though red wings are "dead". This was a close series, not sure which series you were following. Also, If that was the case, that Datsyuk "brought them back from the dead", then Franzen wouldn't be sitting at 3 goals, Zet wouldn't be sitting at 3 goals, Brunner wouldn't be sitting at 2 goals and 3 assists as a rookie. This was a team effort by the leaders and rookies and Jimmy kept them in as well.

Secondly, the top shelf roof shot wasn't an elimination game so that extreme example goes out the window. Third of all the ones that were in fact elimination games were games 6 and 7 in which Jimmy showed up strong and Captain led the way. By you're same logic, if Zet doesn't slap the OT winner in game 6 then the wings ARE eliminated if Anaheim scores. If Howard doesn't make a save on Selanne's point blank shot in game 6 then the wings could have been potentially eliminated as well.

Also, 2 way play was shown by Z as well, especially in game 7 with the nice takeaway during the third period. So although Datsyuk was a better 2 way player, he wasn't the ONLY two way player, hence that doesn't really help towards his MVP status as there were contributions from others. In addition, to the comment "No back-stopping magnoficence from Howard": ill throw the converse at you: If Howard didn't save their butts with his saves, then Pav would be packing it up after game 4 and headed home to Russia rather than score the goal in game 6 on his backhand.

Actually, this thread is about round 1 and so it DOES matter "when" someone is the MVP. As for round 1, it goes to Howard. And believe me, im not a huge Howard fan, but im realistic about facts. I'm not going to jump on my favorite players bandwagon every time. Pasha is one of my favorite players of all time but if it weren't for Jimmy, or Z's game winner, wings would have packed up and stayed home Sunday night.

I think you are focussing a lot on tangibles, which is fine. But Pavs played 7 strong games and provided the goal that turned the series around. We're down 3-1 if he doesnt roof that 35' wrister. I mean, for God's sake. He ROOFED that thing! You should be praising Allah that wehave #13. Instead, youre trying to tell me how Mr. Rebounde Grande is king. Pfffff.