• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Dreger: Filppula looking for $5.5m/season over at least 7 years

Rate this topic

That was playing wing on Z's line, no? There's a difference between that and carrying your own line offensively at center.

If you gave him competent wingers (read: not Franzen or Cleary), he would produce.

Edited by Z and D for the C

That was playing wing on Z's line, no? There's a difference between that and carrying your own line offensively at center.

I may be remembering it wrong, but I believe Flip was playing the wing with Z playing Center.

Flip is a good secondary part on a line, but he's had many chances to carry a line and he doesn't seem capable of doing it.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong wherever he lands but I'd rather pay Lecavlier that money than I would Flip. (hopefully for a lot less years though, we don't need another 7 year contract on the books)

Remember when Flip was the youth? Remember when he put put up 70 points in GR and everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough? Now he's greedy and one-dimensional and useless

Remember when Hudler was the youth? Remember when he put up 96 points in GR? Remember how everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough? Now he's greedy and one-dimensional and useless and lazy.

Remember when Kopecky was the youth? Remember when he put up 72 points in GR? Remember how everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough? (well, OK, its was just Eva ;) ) Now he's just useless.

Remember when Kronwall was the youth? Remember when he put up 53 points in GR? Remember when he was Nick Jr? Now he's useless and can't defend, and a turnover machine and not a #1 defenceman.

Remember when Smith was the youth? Remember how 12 months ago he was LOCK for the Calder on here? Now he's the most useless defenceman in history, a Frankenstein combination of all the worst parts of Anders Ericsson, Max Kuznetzov, Matthieu Dandenault and Brett Lebda.

Are you spotting the pattern here? When they're in the minors all our prospects are the next coming of Steve Yzerman and Nick Lidstrom on here. Then they get here, and they turn into what the scouts projected (3rd line checker, 2nd line 2-way winger) and not what the LGWers predicted (Pavel Zetterberg), and LGW treats them like they're something they scraped off their shoe.

So good luck Nyquist. Good luck Tatar. Good luck Sheahan, Ferraro and Jurco. You'd better turn into HOFers, otherwise you'll just plain SUCK!

Excellent post, I think this everytime I hear people talking like Mrazek should be our starting goalie.

If you gave him competent wingers (read: not Franzen or Cleary), he would produce.

Maybe, but that's rather speculative. Filppula is 29 and has one solid season of production in a larger role. That came on the wing playing with Henrik Zetterberg. I think we can all agree that paying Filppula (again) for "potential" isn't ideal, especially at 5.5 per season.

This is a track record contract and unfortunately Filppula doesn't really have much to show for his demands.

Maybe, but that's rather speculative. Filppula is 29 and has one solid season of production in a larger role. That came on the wing playing with Henrik Zetterberg. I think we can all agree that paying Filppula (again) for "potential" isn't ideal, especially at 5.5 per season.

This is a track record contract and unfortunately Filppula doesn't really have much to show for his demands.

I agree with all of this. I also agree with FlashyG about having Lecavalier for a second line center instead of Filppula (I'd like both, if we have the space). I just think people are giving Filppula way to little credit.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Guest Crymson

@TheFourthPeriod: Barring a significant turn of events, doesn't sound like Detroit trades Filppula's rights. Contract talks will continue.

Edit: SMH

The Fourth Period is a rumor website. Don't take it too seriously.

Guest Crymson

Because after whistle scrums around the net is what wins Cups.

No, but being willing to go into the corners and to the front of the net helps. Filppula does neither.

Guest The Axe

No, but being willing to go into the corners and to the front of the net helps. Filppula does neither.

And scoring.

@TheFourthPeriod: Barring a significant turn of events, doesn't sound like Detroit trades Filppula's rights. Contract talks will continue.

Edit: SMH

I heard that they're going to have a hard time trading his rights because he's determined to test the open market.

Guest Crymson

Filppula isn't a big net front presence, obviously, but he never shys away from battling for the puck in the corners. In fact, his skill for battling along the boards is one of his best traits.

I disagree. He's more likely to float around while somebody else does it.

Filppula isn't a big net front presence, obviously, but he never shys away from battling for the puck in the corners. In fact, his skill for battling along the boards is one of his best traits.

Are you going to join a new board when he leaves?

And you know what's funny? I used to give you a lot of crap, and my perspective hasn't changed much about Flip, but it seems like I'm on the milder side of Flip-distaste. I'd be fine if he stayed for $3.5 million, maybe every $4 million a year or so. Any more than that on this team is just not a smart move especially with Datsyuk signed now, but eh, at $5 million or more, there's just no way. Two bad. He's not a strong offensive player but it's nice to have decent forwards who you can put out all the time and not have to worry about them being a defensive liability.

Are you going to join a new board when he leaves?

Oh come on, I'm a Wings fan more than a Filppula fan and if it was between signing Lecavalier or Filppula I'd pick Lecavalier. That said if we can't get him, I think Filppula simply had an off year and will be back to his 11-12 form next season and would want him back.

Guest Crymson

Oh come on, I'm a Wings fan more than a Filppula fan and if it was between signing Lecavalier or Filppula I'd pick Lecavalier. That said if we can't get him, I think Filppula simply had an off year and will be back to his 11-12 form next season and would want him back.

Given his salary demands, that's an intolerably risky "if."

I have to bust your chops a bit for old times sake!

And what do you think is a reasonable cap hit for him?

Well dependant on his salary, of course.

I have to bust your chops a bit for old times sake!

And what do you think is a reasonable cap hit for him?

I think an ideal contract is $3.25-$3.5m for a couple years to give him a chance to prove himself. But that's pretty unlikely unless Filppula only wants to play for the Wings which isn't likely, so I wouldn't be upset if he ended up getting a bit over $4m for 4 or 5 years. Anything over that is too risky though.

Well dependant on his salary, of course.

I think an ideal contract is $3.25-$3.5m for a couple years to give him a chance to prove himself. But that's pretty unlikely unless Filppula only wants to play for the Wings which isn't likely, so I wouldn't be upset if he ended up getting a bit over $4m for 4 or 5 years. Anything over that is too risky though.

I think that'd be fine for 4-5 years, the $4 million. A bit high given what he's done sans one season, but it's not atrocious. Given how it's gone though, I still think they would've been better off trading him at nearly any point over the last couple of years. If you remember, that was the biggest thing I pushed for, as I thought he was more valuable to us as a trade asset than a player given the guys we already had. Still blows my mind that we're most likely going to lose him for nothing given that the writing has been on the wall for the most part for years. Agree or not, you have to expect that he's a 35-40 point guy, and you knew he'd most likely want to cash in on his next deal. When you already have Dats and Z and you have very little else in terms of trade bait, I think you trade Flip.

I don't want him on this team anymore. Not a condition of term, or how much per year, I just don't. I want this team to get tougher and hungrier, and Flip's style of play, to me, does not equate to these things. Go do that thing you do somewhere else.

Because after whistle scrums around the net is what wins Cups.

No it doesn't but taking the puck to the net and creating havoc in front of the goalie does. It's not like i hate Flip as a player but for 4+m that he wants I think the Wings can do better and need to do better. at 3.5 yes anymore no.