• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Dreger: Filppula looking for $5.5m/season over at least 7 years

Rate this topic

Jagr had 24 points in 36 games when the trade deadline rolled around. He is a big body, a future Hall-of-Famer, and a proven winner. Filppula was in the midst of one of the worst seasons of his career. More, he is none of the above, nor is he a "great" two-way player; he is, rather, merely a fairly good one.

In other words, there's no comparison. Jagr came along with production, physical assets, and intangibles, none of which Filppula brought to the table. Filppula may have fetched a 3rd-round draft pick.

jagr is also 41 years old and if my memory serves me right there wasnt much available at the deadline so im sure if fil was made available someone would of jumped at him and in the last post you said filppula could have fetched a 2nd NOW its a 3rd??? anyways like i said lets just agree to disagree its clear we will never agree with what filppula could of gotten us at the deadline

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Guest Crymson
jagr is also 41 years old and if my memory serves me right there wasnt much available at the deadline so im sure if fil was made available someone would of jumped at him and in the last post you said filppula could have fetched a 2nd NOW its a 3rd??? anyways like i said lets just agree to disagree its clear we will never agree with what filppula could of gotten us at the deadline

Being a rental, Jagr's age was unimportant, just as Filppula's would have been. And 41-year-old Jagr was both more valuable and more productive than 29-year-old Filppula.

You're correct that I revised my statement down to a 3rd. Filppula was having a horrific, invisible season despite playing alongside Zetterberg and Datsyuk for its entirety and receiving ample time on the power play.

despite playing alongside Zetterberg and Datsyuk for its entirety and receiving ample time on the power play.

This isn't true. Zetterberg and Datsyuk started the season together and were only split up when it was obvious the second line was struggling. Otherwise he played with Franzen and a bottom 6er. He got power play time, yeah, but all other top 6 forwards (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Brunner) played on the top unit and Filppula played with Griffins on the second pp unit. Filppula still had a poor season, but I'm just stating the facts.

Guest Crymson

This isn't true. Zetterberg and Datsyuk started the season together and were only split up when it was obvious the second line was struggling. Otherwise he played with Franzen and a bottom 6er. He got power play time, yeah, but all other top 6 forwards (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Brunner) played on the top unit and Filppula played with Griffins on the second pp unit. Filppula still had a poor season, but I'm just stating the facts.

Yep, I should have said most of the season.

Edited by Crymson

Jagr had 24 points in 36 games when the trade deadline rolled around. He is a big body, a future Hall-of-Famer, and a proven winner. Filppula was in the midst of one of the worst seasons of his career. More, he is none of the above, nor is he a "great" two-way player; he is, rather, merely a fairly good one.

In other words, there's no comparison. Jagr came along with production, physical assets, and intangibles, none of which Filppula brought to the table. Filppula may have fetched a 3rd-round draft pick.

Being a rental, Jagr's age was unimportant, just as Filppula's would have been. And 41-year-old Jagr was both more valuable and more productive than 29-year-old Filppula.

Jagr showed his age. He is now completely without the explosiveness he once possessed. Not scoring a single goal in 22 games despite playing on the 2nd line and on the PP for the fourth highest-scoring team in the playoffs really does not reflect well upon him. It matters not at all that he hit numerous posts during the playoffs; shots that posts are rightfully not even counted as shots, as there could be an empty net and they still would not go in.

Jagr is past his prime, and he'd serve as nothing here but a one-year plug. Not good.

Are there two different Jagr's in the NHL? Because depending on the thread it sounds like you're describing two completely different players.

Guest Crymson

Are there two different Jagr's in the NHL? Because depending on the thread it sounds like you're describing two completely different players.

One segment refers to his value at the trade deadline, and the other to how well he actually performed in the playoffs. It's pretty basic.

Edited by Crymson

Will every Finnish player be linked to Columbus Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen? The latest has unrestricted free agent-to-be Valtteri Filppula as a strong candidate for Columbus

Via Elliotte Friedman.

One segment refers to his value at the trade deadline, and the other to how well he actually performed in the playoffs. It's pretty basic.

So after the deadline he was no longer a big body and proven winner? And he had his explosiveness before the deadline but lost all of it in the playoffs?

He didn't become a completely different player at the deadline. He was on an offensively mediocre Boston team that was awful on the PP. And unlike Dallas in Boston they made him backcheck. His ability to dig out the puck and hang on to it led to key goals and great chances for Boston. Having no goals was a little surprising but his overall production really wasn't.

Your first posts overvalue Jagr to justify Holland not dealing Flip. And the latter ones undervalue him to justify not signing him. It's pretty basic.

Goodbye Valteri Filppagreedy

If you're an impending UFA and look around at the type of money paid to other guys that you know you're better than, I don't know how you can consider it greed. Players around Flip's age have to lock down that one big deal to make the bulk of the money they'll make in their lifetime. Logic and reason tell you that with the cap going down, players like Filppula can't be paid $5.5 mil per year, but experience tells you that somebody will pay that, or close to it. Crap, teams like Phoenix, Columbus, etc. need to hand out a bad contract or two just to stay over the salary floor!

Have you ever left a job voluntarily that you weren't fired from? I suspect most people have (or have considered it), and some people consider doing it on almost an annual basis. Did you feel like a greedy traitor knowing that somebody else had to take over your work and clean your mess up so you could go earn a little more money somewhere else?

Edited by StormJH1

If you're an impending UFA and look around at the type of money paid to other guys that you know you're better than, I don't know how you can consider it greed. Players around Flip's age have to lock down that one big deal to make the bulk of the money they'll make in their lifetime. Logic and reason tell you that with the cap going down, players like Filppula can't be paid $5.5 mil per year, but experience tells you that somebody will pay that, or close to it. Crap, teams like Phoenix, Columbus, etc. need to hand out a bad contract or two just to stay over the salary floor!

Have you ever left a job voluntarily that you weren't fired from? I suspect most people have (or have considered it), and some people consider doing it on almost an annual basis. Did you feel like a greedy traitor knowing that somebody else had to take over your work and clean your mess up so you could go earn a little more money somewhere else?

+1

And, while he has done well and is a valuable part of the team here, he has not flourished. It is not like Federov's situation; he will go on to enjoy success and hopefully get a good payday. He may blossom a bit with a change of scenery.

I appreciate all that you have done here and really enjoyed watching you play, but the time has come.

no other players making 5.5 are worse than fil

Let flip go. Bring in the youth.

Remember when Flip was the youth? Remember when he put put up 70 points in GR and everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough? Now he's greedy and one-dimensional and useless

Remember when Hudler was the youth? Remember when he put up 96 points in GR? Remember how everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough? Now he's greedy and one-dimensional and useless and lazy.

Remember when Kopecky was the youth? Remember when he put up 72 points in GR? Remember how everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough? (well, OK, its was just Eva ;) ) Now he's just useless.

Remember when Kronwall was the youth? Remember when he put up 53 points in GR? Remember when he was Nick Jr? Now he's useless and can't defend, and a turnover machine and not a #1 defenceman.

Remember when Smith was the youth? Remember how 12 months ago he was LOCK for the Calder on here? Now he's the most useless defenceman in history, a Frankenstein combination of all the worst parts of Anders Ericsson, Max Kuznetzov, Matthieu Dandenault and Brett Lebda.

Are you spotting the pattern here? When they're in the minors all our prospects are the next coming of Steve Yzerman and Nick Lidstrom on here. Then they get here, and they turn into what the scouts projected (3rd line checker, 2nd line 2-way winger) and not what the LGWers predicted (Pavel Zetterberg), and LGW treats them like they're something they scraped off their shoe.

So good luck Nyquist. Good luck Tatar. Good luck Sheahan, Ferraro and Jurco. You'd better turn into HOFers, otherwise you'll just plain SUCK!

Remember when Flip was the youth? Remember when he put put up 70 points in GR and everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough? Now he's greedy and one-dimensional and useless

Remember when Hudler was the youth? Remember when he put up 96 points in GR? Remember how everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough? Now he's greedy and one-dimensional and useless and lazy.

Remember when Kopecky was the youth? Remember when he put up 72 points in GR? Remember how everyone was all over Babcock and Holland for not playing him enough? (well, OK, its was just Eva ;) ) Now he's just useless.

Remember when Kronwall was the youth? Remember when he put up 53 points in GR? Remember when he was Nick Jr? Now he's useless and can't defend, and a turnover machine and not a #1 defenceman.

Remember when Smith was the youth? Remember how 12 months ago he was LOCK for the Calder on here? Now he's the most useless defenceman in history, a Frankenstein combination of all the worst parts of Anders Ericsson, Max Kuznetzov, Matthieu Dandenault and Brett Lebda.

Are you spotting the pattern here? When they're in the minors all our prospects are the next coming of Steve Yzerman and Nick Lidstrom on here. Then they get here, and they turn into what the scouts projected (3rd line checker, 2nd line 2-way winger) and not what the LGWers predicted (Pavel Zetterberg), and LGW treats them like they're something they scraped off their shoe.

So good luck Nyquist. Good luck Tatar. Good luck Sheahan, Ferraro and Jurco. You'd better turn into HOFers, otherwise you'll just plain SUCK!

If they stay good 3rd liners or decent 2nd liners that's fine, as long as they don't demand inordinate amounts of money like flip

no other players making 5.5 are worse than fil

What??

If they stay good 3rd liners or decent 2nd liners that's fine, as long as they don't demand inordinate amounts of money like flip

So paying legit second line centers 5.5 million a year is an inordinate amount of money? If the salary cap didn't drop this year I can pretty much guarantee Fil would have been resigned here for that.

What??

So paying legit second line centers 5.5 million a year is an inordinate amount of money? If the salary cap didn't drop this year I can pretty much guarantee Fil would have been resigned here for that.

When has Filppula ever proven so far to be a legitimate second line center?

What??

I don't see how the statement 'if the situation was different, then there would be a different result' is even worth saying. The salary cap did drop.... so, $5.5 million is an inordinate amount of money for Flip and he won't be resigned here if that is a hard number for him.

When has Filppula ever proven so far to be a legitimate second line center?

Probably when he was 13th in even strength scoring (ahead of Datsyuk and Zetterberg) in the league despite being 30 something in even strength time on ice. I think that advances the argument a little.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Probably when he was 13th in even strength scoring (ahead of Datsyuk and Zetterberg) in the league despite being 30 something in even strength time on ice. I think that advances the argument a little.

That was playing wing on Z's line, no? There's a difference between that and carrying your own line offensively at center.