40 replies to this topic

#1 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

As per Datsyuk's facebook.

Just heard that Ilya Bryzgalov signed a contract with Edmonton Oilers. Wishing you best of luck. Welcome back to NHL

More confirmation:

http://www.sbnation....edmonton-oilers

Edited by FireCaptain, 08 November 2013 - 08:00 PM.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#2 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Good luck Bryz!!!

#3 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

Don't feel like making another thread but Hemsky and a 2nd rounder to the Flyers for Simmonds.  Wow.  Love Simmonds but would've cost us Tatar or Gus I take it.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#4 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Cold like North Pole! 

(Wait, that was Winnipeg.  Aww to hell with it)

Edited by kook_10, 08 November 2013 - 08:56 PM.

works every time

#5 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers 1h

#Oilers have reached a verbal agreement on a one-year contract with G Ilya Bryzgalov, pending completion of today's EDM-CGY trade.

#6 mtuhockey7

mtuhockey7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

The Hemsky deal was made through a fake Twitter profile, no truth behind that one.  The Bryz and Smid deals are legit, however.-

#7 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Bryz, tell those Western Canadians all about "the universe"!!!

#8 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

Bryz, tell those Western Canadians all about "the universe"!!!

You must live in igloo to be true Winnipegger ya?  

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#9 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

Without a good defensive core they can put any goalie in net and they will look like they belong in a bush league.

#10 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

So an already challenged d core is now getting even worse in order to sign s goalie, who is known as a locker room cancer and couldn't find a job in the NHL. Outstanding job MacTavish, Bryzgalov for sure is exactly what Hall and company are needing right now.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#11 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

YES!!!!!

Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#12 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:51 AM

So an already challenged d core is now getting even worse in order to sign s goalie, who is known as a locker room cancer and couldn't find a job in the NHL. Outstanding job MacTavish, Bryzgalov for sure is exactly what Hall and company are needing right now.

I so hate that phrase, and how beloved it is of hockey fans.  So over-used.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#13 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:56 AM

I so hate that phrase, and how beloved it is of hockey fans.  So over-used.

Locker-room enemy #1, plotter or atmosphere killer that's better? I think hockey-fans like this phrase, because in hockey troublemakers are (thankfully) the minority, not like in other sports - i.e soccer, basketball... - the majority. There is no I in team, something Brzygalov will never understand.

Also with the current Yakupov struggles one would think this guy is not someone a GM would like to have around young-guys. Reimer/Bernier, Miller or maybe Markstrom would have been available ALL are superior options to this guy, MacTavish really screwed up here.

kftx.jpg

#14 mtuhockey7

mtuhockey7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

I'm surprised they didn't go after one of the Ducks' goalies.  They have 4 solid ones.  Hiller, Fasth, the rookie Andersen, and the prospect Gibson.  It's not like Anaheim can't spare a goalie as trade bait.

#15 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:45 AM

I'm surprised they didn't go after one of the Ducks' goalies.  They have 4 solid ones.  Hiller, Fasth, the rookie Andersen, and the prospect Gibson.  It's not like Anaheim can't spare a goalie as trade bait.

Murray would have been fired if he traded Gibson, I think Hiller or Andersen would definately have been available for the right price, they need to improve their D and goaltending not improving one AND weakening the other.

kftx.jpg

#16 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

Ha.  This move is such a head-scratcher to me.

Sure, Bryz can play out of his mind (literally) good hockey, but he can also play some pretty terrible hockey if he loses it.

He'll have absolutely no defense in front of him and will probably have his first melt down 8-10 games played with the Oil.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#17 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

LOL we all knew Mac T was going to do something really dumb sooner or later. I was hoping that Detroit would have benefited from it. 

#18 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

LOL we all knew Mac T was going to do something really dumb sooner or later. I was hoping that Detroit would have benefited from it. 

Hope still exists :)

#19 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Locker-room enemy #1, plotter or atmosphere killer that's better? I think hockey-fans like this phrase, because in hockey troublemakers are (thankfully) the minority, not like in other sports - i.e soccer, basketball... - the majority. There is no I in team, something Brzygalov will never understand.

Also with the current Yakupov struggles one would think this guy is not someone a GM would like to have around young-guys. Reimer/Bernier, Miller or maybe Markstrom would have been available ALL are superior options to this guy, MacTavish really screwed up here.

I feel the need to correct you on the bolded part.

ahole_zpsb3ad7f8f.jpg

I'm shaking my head at this.  Granted, goalies are kind of weird in general, but is having Bryz really going to benefit the kids in Edmonton?  Either they're going to be distracted and play worse, or this is going to be some sort of weird cast of characters that actually works.  All they need now is a platypus that takes face-offs.

#20 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

Newsflash - not everyone on successful teams are best friends.  As far as I can tell, Bryzgalov's biggest crime is to be honest with the media.  Unless someone displays Sean Avery levels of doucheness, the ONLY thing that matters is what happens on the ice.  If Bryz goes in and gives them half decent goaltending, who cares if his team-mates like him. 

Dan Cleary is hugely popular with his team-mates, the anti-locker room cancer.  Doesn't make him an effective team mate though.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk