• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Namingway

Namingway

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

Huh, I wasn't aware that Jimmy actually had a fight back in his GR days. As much as I love goalie fights, I think situations like the recent Emery and Holtby incident deserves an extra look. What do you guys think, LGW?

per Mlive

Edited by Namingway, 11 November 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#2 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

It should be treated like a regular fight, if both parties are willing participants and it is a good clean fight, 5 minute major, and it's over. If it is like what emery or others have done, it should be an automatic  suspension, minumum 5 games. Holtby did nothing to deserve what he got, and emery is a thug who has no real hockey skills

#3 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

I love fights, especially goalie fights.  One-sided beat-downs aren't good fights.  Have a penalty for that, not specifically goalie fights.  Goalies are people too.

#4 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:53 PM

It should be treated like a regular fight, if both parties are willing participants and it is a good clean fight, 5 minute major, and it's over. If it is like what emery or others have done, it should be an automatic  suspension, minumum 5 games. Holtby did nothing to deserve what he got, and emery is a thug who has no real hockey skills

I'm with you, but I'd like to see Goalies serve their own penalties.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#5 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

I love fighting but thugs don't have a place on hockey, no doubt whatsoever that Emery has to pay for that soon. I'd say treat it as an assault with 10 games plus. Goaliefights are nice if both are willing otherwise screw it. Holtby should have pulled a Kessel and absolutely smashed this idiot with his stick. Can't wait till the TorontoMapleLeafs and Bruins are coming to Philly, MacLaren running through the net and smashing him into the boards would be fun to watch.

Edited by frankgrimes, 11 November 2013 - 11:14 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#6 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

I love goalie fights, don't add any rules for them. Maybe treat them as players or maybe treat each goalie fight on its own and perhaps suspend accordingly
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#7 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:08 AM

Jimmy needs to get into a fight. The modern day Wings haven't won a Cup without a goalie who has a fight on his record. Specifically he needs to start something with Roy the next time they see Colorado. If Roy and a wings goalie get into it then consider the Cup ours.

#8 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:18 AM

Jimmy does not have the ballls.... I like Gustafsson comments though. You have to defend youself because otherwise it could turn ugly for you. Holtby was EXTREMELY lucky considering what kind of punches he absorbed. Usually after beatings like this you end up in a hospital with some serious injuries.

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#9 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

It couldn't hurt for the league to adopt a Ray Emery rule, but it should be about getting suspended for skating the length of the rink to fight and continue beating on an unwilling opponent, not anything about goalies fighting specifically.

#10 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

Since he has been mentioned...

cherry-picker.jpg

The "Ray Emery" Model; comes in Flyers' colours.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.