Photo
- - - - -

CBC partners with Rogers in landmark NHL rights deal.

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

From CBC:

Saturday night will remain Hockey Night in Canada on CBC.

The NHL confirmed Tuesday that the CBC has secured English-language rights to games in a sub-licensing agreement with Rogers Communications. 

The 12-year, $5.232 billion deal through 2025-26 between the NHL and Rogers is the largest media rights agreement in league history and subject to approval by the league's board of governors at a meeting in in Pebble Beach, Calif., on Dec. 9-10.

I can't think of a reason why this won't be approved. It's a shame NBC doesn't follow the lead of the CBC and make the same kind of commitment to broadcast more games on their free main television network.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#2 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

From CBC:

I can't think of a reason why this won't be approved. It's a shame NBC doesn't follow the lead of the CBC and make the same kind of commitment to broadcast more games on their free main television network.

I wish, and if Americans watched hockey like Canadians they would.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#3 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

From CBC:

That's $436 million a year, time for another lockout

#4 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

So is  this the end of CBC playoff coverage?..if so this fackin sucks.

#5 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

This is brutal...TSN getting less games isn't good for the game in Canada

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#6 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

So less games with TSN? I am out, not interested in anything with Rogers.

Only good thing CBC has is HNIC and Don Cherry.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#7 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

From what I have read and saw on a rogers owned station this morning, CBC will still have HINC and playoffs until the finals. TSN will have 0 games. This does stink. I cant stand half of the SportsNet analysts. 

They also retain the rights to Web, radio as well as TV.

I want to know what will happen to the team affiliated channels owned by bell like Winnipeg and Montreal. I am sure there is more but I can't think of them. 

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#8 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

From what I have read and saw on a rogers owned station this morning, CBC will still have HINC and playoffs until the finals. TSN will have 0 games. This does stink. I cant stand half of the SportsNet analysts. 

They also retain the rights to Web, radio as well as TV.

I want to know what will happen to the team affiliated channels owned by bell like Winnipeg and Montreal. I am sure there is more but I can't think of them. 

Bell owns rogers.

#9 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

From the NHL website:

NHL, Rogers announce landmark 12-year deal Deal gives Rogers rights to all national games in Canada; CBC will continue to broadcast Hockey Night in Canada, TVA gets French-language rights

170394897.jpg?w=620

​He's absolutely giddy.

#10 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

I wonder how this will affect the Bell NHL Center Ice package here in Canada.....................

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#11 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

To be clear: TSN is completely wiped off the NHL map when it comes to broadcasting games as of next season. Zero, zilch.

CBC says will be job losses as a result of NHL deal with Rogers. CBC, which retains Sat HNIC games says "Not outcome we'd hoped for".

#12 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

So does any one know how this affects hockey on tsn in general? I thought tsn just signed a new deal??
Posted Image

#13 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

From CBC:

The last I heard, NBC don't actually pay a penny for their NHL rights.  It may have changed, but it certainly used to be the case.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#14 Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

First Line Center

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

The last I heard, NBC don't actually pay a penny for their NHL rights.  It may have changed, but it certainly used to be the case.

That hasn't been the case for a while, the contract that is in place right now started in 2011 and is a 10-year deal for $2 billion dollars that has NBC paying the NHL about $200 million a year. The deal before that had NBC paying the NHL roughly $17 million a year, though I'm not sure when that one started. The deal you are thinking of was back from 2004 and lasted 2-4 years, I can't find specifics though.

Posted Image

#15 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

What the new Rogers-NHL deal means for the CBC

http://o.canada.com/...ns-for-the-cbc/

The CBC is in trouble. It is losing all of its hockey revenue – but keeping about 320 hours a year of hockey, including Hockey Night in Canada – under the NHL’s new Canadian broadcast rights deal.

Rogers is making big moves to control ever more Canadian media and the announcement on Tuesday that they’re essentially taking over hockey rights across Canada is an enormous move.

Losing hockey is a big deal for the CBC. They’ll keep Hockey Night in Canada for four years on a sub-contract from Rogers, but they don’t own the content anymore. They will not even get the advertising revenue from the broadcasts, according to a statement from management to CBC staff.

CBCNews.ca is reporting the CBC will not pay for the broadcast rights, but will neither sell the ads on the games nor keep the revenue.

Edited by Wings10, 26 November 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#16 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

In other words we are loosing hockey night in Canada eventually and tsn? And have to watch on Rodgers sports net?
Posted Image

#17 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

It's unbelievable how one company can have so much influence, how about the anti monopol lawys? For hockeyfans this sucks, but I am also not surprised the NHL doesn't care about quality heck they would have given the rights to Brazil is they've paid the most, just the way this **** midget operates.

Nothing Rogers has, will ever come close to the quality of TSN.

kftx.jpg

#18 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Bell owns rogers.

Bell owns Rogers ? Financially not even close, maybe in terms of service yes.

What I don't understand is that Bell and Rogers both own part of the Leafs, yet Bell owns TSN and is just willing to let the rights go to broadcasting on the station ?

#19 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

Bell owns Rogers ? Financially not even close, maybe in terms of service yes.

What I don't understand is that Bell and Rogers both own part of the Leafs, yet Bell owns TSN and is just willing to let the rights go to broadcasting on the station ?

Just read:

Rogers owns the Leafs

Bell owns part + Canadiens arena

How can Bell accept this crap? It's beyond me they own TSN and let that happen? seriously :(

kftx.jpg

#20 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Sportsnet is the worst. Hopefully they can step their game up and employ some knowledgeable people. Watching Sportsnet Vancouver and listening to John Garrett is torture