• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

2014 draft thoughts.

Rate this topic

The talent just isn't there in this draft.

See, I'm not sure I really buy that. Any player could turn into a steal - especially for an organization like ours which specializes in drafting and developing.

What I'm hearing/reading is that the uncertainty surrounding the consensus rankings means some very good players might go later than one would probably expect. So there's also that going for us, maybe.

If Ritchie isn't available I want Rich, Perlini or someone from the 210 lbs + category. Do you think Draiseitl will drop a few spots because of his average skating? If so Wings should take a chance at him

I can't see Draisaitl going any later than eight, and even eight's really pushing it.

upper body yes, but not that exercise. When do hockey players ever have to use those motions? never. Pull ups are hard to do unless you do that specific exercise. back when I was in the army I could knock out 55-60 pushups every PT test. But 2-3 pull ups is the best I ever could do. Now as time has moved on..........nevermind.......lol

I've read that they only started doing pull-ups, instead of push-ups, this year so I doubt Gary Roberts was ever asked to do one at his combine. I don't know what shape Roberts was in coming out of junior, but he is now a workout monster, and many of the top players in the NHL and junior pay him big money to work them into top condition.

Edited by paulwoodsfan

Pull ups are a great test for overall body strength (core, back, shoulders, and arms). Hence why they are a staple in cross fit, sports development programs, and the Marine Corps. And you wonder why us jarheads ripped on you guys so much ;). I think Bennett will be fine with a good training program, and the proper diet. He can play hockey which is the most important factor, and as long as the drive is there he can develop enough strength over time to hold his own.

upper body yes, but not that exercise. When do hockey players ever have to use those motions? never. Pull ups are hard to do unless you do that specific exercise. back when I was in the army I could knock out 55-60 pushups every PT test. But 2-3 pull ups is the best I ever could do. Now as time has moved on..........nevermind.......lol

A pro athlete should be able to manage a pull up regardless of the sport (unless u curl). I'm by no means anything close to athletic and I could hammer out more than a few as early as junior high, and even though I'm now old and out of shape I can still do at least a few. I don't think he's a bust bc he can't do one, but it is rather sad.

A pro athlete should be able to manage a pull up regardless of the sport (unless u curl). I'm by no means anything close to athletic and I could hammer out more than a few as early as junior high, and even though I'm now old and out of shape I can still do at least a few. I don't think he's a bust bc he can't do one, but it is rather sad.

I might be mistaken but I think they did pull ups at the end of a long combine of tests. Its possible that he may have just been spent by that point. I'd bet he can do a pull-up when fresh.

I like what little I have seen of Tuch as well. He plays Center & RW and although his skating is described as "ungainly", he is really strong on the puck. The kid uses his size and strength very effectively to hang onto the puck and he apparently has a cannon of a slap shot plus a powerful wrister. I value skill and finesse (preference of Wings for 20 yrs) but we need big, strong aggressive forwards and D-men to compete with the elite teams. Mantha and Tuch (LH and RH) with a solid Center would be a potentially great line with a couple of years experience.

Bennett isn't a pro athlete yet. he is an 18 year old kid that will get drafted. he hasn't had a professional S & C program to build himself up. We seem to forget, these are HS kids.

dec, we used to have big strong players to go with our skill. 97,98, and 02 were lead by guys like Mccarty, Shanahan, lapointe, Kocur, Vladdy, Chelios, fetisov, ward, Pushor, etc.... to go along with the smaller skill guys like yzerman, fedorov, kozlov, larionov, and Hull. There is a fine balance that every team has to find. Philly has always been to far to the size side of things while we have gone to far on the small skill side of things. Teams like Chicago, LAK and Boston have both. No the Bhawks don't fight, but most of their stars have good size. Toews is 6-2/205 which is the same size as our "big bodies": Abby, Sheahan, Jurco, Andersson etc.....

A week to go. Do we keep the pick? If so, yes Tuch, Kempe, Larkin, and a couple others makes great sense in the first. If we trade it, trade all the picks! LOL

Then we can move onto the 2015 draft which is a much better draft with far more to talk about.

hopefully a bunch of dudes the wings like are still available at 15 so we could trade down like we did last year.

or we could just draft tuch and call it good. im fine either way

If McCann or Tuch are not available then trading down, and picking up Vrana would be ideal. Hopefully we get someones 1st this year and 2nd next year. We need to stock up on picks for next years draft to either trade up, or replenish the depth that will be in the NHL soon.

I'd prefer to see Holland trade up this year. Ekblad is out of reach but then trade up to grab one of the skilled, physical forwards. Red Wings have depth and plenty of skill but no size whatsoever.

Offer them our first Nyquist and Jurco Ekblads potential is sky high him at Dekeyser at the blueline would be an unbelievable pairing for more than a decade