• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

2014 draft thoughts.

Rate this topic

That is a terrible idea. So we would give up a 30 goal scorer that without we wouldn't have been in the playoffs. Plus a potential 30 goal scoring power forward for a guy who most people project as a borderline 1, strong 2 dman. Ekblad is no Doughty or Weber...

Offer them our first Nyquist and Jurco Ekblads potential is sky high him at Dekeyser at the blueline would be an unbelievable pairing for more than a decade

Offer them our first Nyquist and Jurco Ekblads potential is sky high him at Dekeyser at the blueline would be an unbelievable pairing for more than a decade

i dont think FLA would be very interested in Nyquist and Jurco, they are not elite. As mentioned before, I think Dekeyser and a pick or prospect might catch their attention. But then the price is much steeper.

i dont think FLA would be very interested in Nyquist and Jurco, they are not elite. As mentioned before, I think Dekeyser and a pick or prospect might catch their attention. But then the price is much steeper.

Florida is looking to trade #1 because they don't necessarily need anymore young defenseman. I would love Ekblad, but not at the price it would cost to get him.

I'd prefer to see Holland trade up this year. Ekblad is out of reach but then trade up to grab one of the skilled, physical forwards. Red Wings have depth and plenty of skill but no size whatsoever.

Jurco, Sheahan, Mantha and the evil Franzen all have size. Dekeyser, Smith, Marchenko, Sproul, and Bäckman are all 6'2" or taller. AA2 is actually much bigger than most people think at 6'2" 200lbs. I imagine he would put on at least another 5lbs working out in GR. The kid we just signed from across the pond, Nosek is 6'2" 202 lbs. (exact same size as Kesler) We have also 4 young Dmen out there who are 6'5" or taller.

We have definitely been investing more in size and skill lately. To insinuate that we have only been picking 5'10" 160lb guys is dumb.

Interesting note. I went back to look at last years prospect rankings and Sproul has gone from 6'3" 186 lbs to 6'4 205 lbs. He may be closer to 215lbs by the time he reaches the NHL.

Florida is looking to trade #1 because they don't necessarily need anymore young defenseman. I would love Ekblad, but not at the price it would cost to get him.

If you mean they want NHL ready players then I'm with you because FLA is not terribly young on defense. I dont think they would turn down Dekeyser because of his age. He is 24 and has already shown he is NHL ready. Now, Dekeyser is probably a top 5 favorite Red Wing for me, he is someone I really dont want to give up, but people must realize that other teams are not looking to trade away their assets for leftovers. If you want something good, it will be a key player going in the opposite direction. It will not be Nyquist, Tatar or Jurco other teams will be calling for. It will be Dekeyser, Mantha, Mrazek or Sheahan.

Jurco, Sheahan, Mantha and the evil Franzen all have size. Dekeyser, Smith, Marchenko, Sproul, and Bäckman are all 6'2" or taller. AA2 is actually much bigger than most people think at 6'2" 200lbs. I imagine he would put on at least another 5lbs working out in GR. The kid we just signed from across the pond, Nosek is 6'2" 202 lbs. (exact same size as Kesler) We have also 4 young Dmen out there who are 6'5" or taller.

We have definitely been investing more in size and skill lately. To insinuate that we have only been picking 5'10" 160lb guys is dumb.

Interesting note. I went back to look at last years prospect rankings and Sproul has gone from 6'3" 186 lbs to 6'4 205 lbs. He may be closer to 215lbs by the time he reaches the NHL.

When did I insinuate that we only picked up 5'10 160 lb players? Also how many of these bigger guys actually play big and physical? None imo.

Wanted to go back and review this thread from the beginning. My first post was all about our strengths at G and D and the need for forwards. the second post was 3 targets for us to go after, one of which was larkin. Second year in a row that I had the draft pretty well nailed.

We ended up at 15, which back in January was the same spot. With our 7 picks we took 1 G and 6 forwards, all of which that are over 6ft tall. For years we had some crazy man crush on small players. The past 2-3 drafts we are finally drafting guys with modern NHL size. Overall great job by Holland and company!

Now we have no idea how any of these guys will turn out. The draft is all about getting value with each pick. This year we did it and didn't have any reaches. Very happy overall.

Once the season gets going again, I will still posting thoughts about the 2015 draft. But in about a week I will be taking a hockey break to enjoy the rest of the summer. waiting until the UFA period happens of course.

Wanted to go back and review this thread from the beginning. My first post was all about our strengths at G and D and the need for forwards. the second post was 3 targets for us to go after, one of which was larkin. Second year in a row that I had the draft pretty well nailed.

We ended up at 15, which back in January was the same spot. With our 7 picks we took 1 G and 6 forwards, all of which that are over 6ft tall. For years we had some crazy man crush on small players. The past 2-3 drafts we are finally drafting guys with modern NHL size. Overall great job by Holland and company!

Now we have no idea how any of these guys will turn out. The draft is all about getting value with each pick. This year we did it and didn't have any reaches. Very happy overall.

Once the season gets going again, I will still posting thoughts about the 2015 draft. But in about a week I will be taking a hockey break to enjoy the rest of the summer. waiting until the UFA period happens of course.

I'm glad you're taking a break, you worked hard this season. Looking forward to 2015.

You answered your own point. Many years the Wings haven't had a 1st rounder, when they did it was often nearer a 2nd rounder. So they had to go for "value" . That often meant smaller, skilled players, or bigger less skilled players. Because the big, skilled players are gone by picks 10-15.

You think a 6-3 Kronwall is available at 29? A 6-0 Hudler at 58? A 6-2 Filpulla at 95? A 6-2 Nyquist at 121? A 6-1 Tatar at 60?

Most of our bigger, less skilled players didn't work out, whereas we had more success with the smaller, skilled guys. But the last few drafts the Wings have publicly said they know the pendulum swung too far that way.

One early thought about 2015. we will not be drafting McDavid. So please stop now. LOL

This team as it is today will be a bubble team, so they could get McDavid, it's just very unlikely. But why rebuild when you can play 5 playoff games a year?

Edmonton :P

They've had a top 10 pick in 7 of the last 8 drafts including 3 #1s in a row and the year they drafted outside the top 10 they still snagged Eberle in the 1st round. If they don't become a legitimate dynasty in the next five years the system is broken!

Guest DeGraa55

Next year's worst team will no doubt be one of Florida, Buffalo or the Islanders.

Watch Florida and buffalo make the playoffs and we don't.