Photo
- - - - -

Stamkos vs Tavares

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Stamkos vs Tavares

Who would you rather have on the Wings

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 michigan2014

michigan2014

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

I want to make it clear that we are not getting either guy. This is purely hypothetical. It has been mentioned quite a bit that the Wings do not have a future #1 center in the pipeline. A Datsyuk, Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Staal, or Bergeron caliber guy. If the Wings had the choice of Steven Stamkos or John Tavares, and could get one of the two through a trade, who would you go with?

It is a tough choice. Personally, I would go with Tavares, as he has been able to carry a team without someone like Martin St. Louis next to him, and has shown to be less injury prone. But the Wings couldn't go wrong with either guy.

Again, it's not happening. Even if the Wings offered 5 first round picks, Nyquist, Sproul, and Mrazek, I still doubt Garth Snow or Stevie would take is seriously.

Who would you rather have? Let's hear it.

#2 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

stamkos. best scorer in the league, wings dont score much. it would be similar to having a fedorov again.

#3 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

Can't go wrong with either one so a tough choice Mantha - Tavares would be too good to be true Stamkos is by far the best scorer in the league, Wings lack a goalscoring machine and he is exactly that

Edited by frankgrimes, 23 January 2014 - 04:01 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#4 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

JT, because he is a better rounded player and would fit our system.

#5 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

Stamkos for sure. Btw how do you figure he is injury prone? This is the first time he's had an injury. He hasn't missed a game since he only played 79 games his rookie year, and if you call sliding into a post and your leg breaking injury prone, then you have a very broad definition of that term. Stamkos is the better player, and I believe st. Louis has been as effective as he has because of Stamkos

#6 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

Stammer hands down. One of the best pure goal scorers to ever lace em up. A future HOFer forsure. All our scoring woes would be POOF gone.

#7 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

I'd rather have Stamkos because I remember how Datsyuk looked the last time he had a real shooter playing on his wing. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#8 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Such a close call between these two. But for me I give the slight edge to Tavares. He's more durable and has a lot less to work with than Stamkos does. But like others have said, you really can't go wrong with either one.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#9 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Hands down Tavares .... Easy to go for the goal scorer but Tavares is amazing all around

#10 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Stamkos for sure. Btw how do you figure he is injury prone? This is the first time he's had an injury. He hasn't missed a game since he only played 79 games his rookie year, and if you call sliding into a post and your leg breaking injury prone, then you have a very broad definition of that term. Stamkos is the better player, and I believe st. Louis has been as effective as he has because of Stamkos

Stamkos is definitely not injury prone. However, regardless of how it happened, he has now had a very major injury. And just like a car, once you have one major accident, sometimes other little things can start to go wrong even after things get patched up. Or, he could re-injure the same leg again. Whereas Tavares is likely to stay more durable, since he has avoided any major injuries thus far into his career. If this question was asked before Stamkos broke his leg, it would be a no brainer. But considering the circumstances here, (along with Tavares playing on a much worse team) I give Tavares a very slight edge.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings, 23 January 2014 - 05:25 PM.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#11 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Kate Upton or Adriana Lima.  Hmmmm, yes please.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#12 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Kate Upton or Adriana Lima.  Hmmmm, yes please.

This isn't a popular opinion.
But I think Kate Uptons face is hit.
Amazing body though.
And Tavares would probably fit this team better, but I wouldn't pass up stamkos, that shot is sexy.

#13 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

Tough choice for me. I don't care about who'd fit better because they're world class players and I think either would fit just fine. IMO Tavares would make his linemates better but Stamkos can create goals and would be a go-to guy to shoot on the PP. I'm really not certain who I'd like on the team but something's telling me Tavares. Weak answer, I know, but oh well.

This isn't a popular opinion.
But I think Kate Uptons face is hit.
Amazing body though.
And Tavares would probably fit this team better, but I wouldn't pass up stamkos, that shot is sexy.

I agree. Her elbows are too pointy and her knees are sharp as well. 2/10 at best, I wouldn't even exchange a greeting.

#14 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

Upton is very sexy but I think chicks like Adriana Lima and Rosie Huntington Whitelie are in a league of their own.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#15 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

I agree. Her elbows are too pointy and her knees are sharp as well. 2/10 at best, I wouldn't even exchange a greeting.

Ha.
Like I said.
Not a popular opinion.

But back on topic.
I'd take either in a heartbeat, stamkos is always a threat to win the rocket Richard and we need guys who can put the puck in the net.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter, 23 January 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#16 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

Ha.
Like I said.
Not a popular opinion.

But back on topic.
I'd take either in a heartbeat, stamkos is always a threat to win the rocket Richard and we need guys who can put the puck in the net.

Lol no worries I'm just pulling your chain.

#17 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

JT - so complete.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#18 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

Stamkos is definitely not injury prone. However, regardless of how it happened, he has now had a very major injury. And just like a car, once you have one major accident, sometimes other little things can start to go wrong even after things get patched up. Or, he could re-injure the same leg again. Whereas Tavares is likely to stay more durable, since he has avoided any major injuries thus far into his career. If this question was asked before Stamkos broke his leg, it would be a no brainer. But considering the circumstances here, (along with Tavares playing on a much worse team) I give Tavares a very slight edge.

I don't know its just a broken leg, if it were a back issue or concussion or something like that I would agree, but when the leg is healed his back won't start hurting magically. Fact is stammer is a goal scoring machine, something we desperately lack and need, we don't need another "well rounded player" or playmaker, we need a shoot first pass later guy, and he can score. Like someone mentioned already it would be like having fedorov again. The only thing is he would have Datsyuk and or Zetterberg setting him up all the time, if you thought he played well with st. Louis....

#19 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

Stamkos.

Like you said, you can't go wrong but I went with Stamkos because holy hell can that guy score goals.

#20 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

Before he got hurt this season:

17 GP 14G 9A 23pts

Wouldve scored 60 and won the rocket richard if he played all season. And probably competed with sid for points due to tampas major increase in offense this year. Just based on his on pace numbers.

Oh well. Next season...