47 replies to this topic

#1 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

http://www.mlive.com...t_guys_are.html

So right now Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Andersson, and Weiss are out but most likely all will be back after the Olympics. 

Bert sat last night for Alfredsson and Sammy was waived for Franzen's return. 

After the Olympics, there will be 3 players currently on the roster who will not be there. Here are some candidates to be sent down/waived:

Cleary

Bertuzzi

Tatar

Jurco

Glendening

Sheahan

As the article mentions, Bert and Cleary are struggling offensively and could be waived. Knowing Babs' man-crush for Cleary I am assuming that Danny Boy stays on the team (he has an 'A' on for God's sake!). Bert has struggled but I think he has a net-front presence that can't be easily replaced, even by Franzen. 

So, at this point there is a hard decision to see who the "best guys" are. My picks to be sent down are Glendening (hate to see his grit go but they want goals), Jurco (similar to Tatar, not as productive as of late), and Sheahan (although he has played very good and the Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist combo was great against FLA). But barring an injury-free Wings team (HA!) these guys will get plenty more games this season.

Weiss has so little wiggle-room to fit into the offensive scheme it almost isn't fair. The young guys are playing like they have something to prove and are proving it. I think he could be the top trade-bait player (does he have an NTC/NMC?) if he doesn't produce immediately. 

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#2 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

http://www.mlive.com...t_guys_are.html

So right now Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Andersson, and Weiss are out but most likely all will be back after the Olympics. 

Bert sat last night for Alfredsson and Sammy was waived for Franzen's return. 

After the Olympics, there will be 3 players currently on the roster who will not be there. Here are some candidates to be sent down/waived:

Cleary

Bertuzzi

Tatar

Jurco

Glendening

Sheahan

As the article mentions, Bert and Cleary are struggling offensively and could be waived. Knowing Babs' man-crush for Cleary I am assuming that Danny Boy stays on the team (he has an 'A' on for God's sake!). Bert has struggled but I think he has a net-front presence that can't be easily replaced, even by Franzen. 

So, at this point there is a hard decision to see who the "best guys" are. My picks to be sent down are Glendening (hate to see his grit go but they want goals), Jurco (similar to Tatar, not as productive as of late), and Sheahan (although he has played very good and the Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist combo was great against FLA). But barring an injury-free Wings team (HA!) these guys will get plenty more games this season.

Weiss has so little wiggle-room to fit into the offensive scheme it almost isn't fair. The young guys are playing like they have something to prove and are proving it. I think he could be the top trade-bait player (does he have an NTC/NMC?) if he doesn't produce immediately. 

Weiss does have an NTC if I recall correctly.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#3 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

Before Weiss comes off LTIR the Wings are going to have to clear a bunch of cap space somehow.  The only way they can get cap compliant otherwise is to send Eaves, Cleary, Jurco, and Sheahan down and run with a 22 man active roster, with Bertuzzi and Glendening or Emmerton as the 12th and 13th forwards.

Weiss isn't going anywhere.  If the Wings told him they wanted to move him, he'd probably waive the NTC as long as he wasn't being sent to a train wreck like Columbus or Calgary, but they'd get next to nothing back for him.  As good as Sheahan has played, he's not a #2 center, and I'm not convinced that Helm is either, or that he can stay healthy.

Edited by DickieDunn, 27 January 2014 - 09:40 AM.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#4 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

Weiss had a modified NTC and a NMC. Not quite sure what a modified NTC is, but my guess is he'd have to provide a list of teams. I donno if they're gonna get much value for the guy considering what his past year and a half has looked like, especially for how much he's making right now.

#5 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

Emmerton eaves cleary bert miller should all be waived/traded. With our offensive explosion of the tatar/sheahan/jurco line, itd be just asinine to split em up for guys who dont score. Imho.

#6 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Bertuzzi's next..... Those who aren't producing should be sitting (That includes Howard)

#7 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

We will never be anything close to fully healthy, so I deem this moot. Hooray.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#8 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

Weve scored 13 goals in 3 games with the kids steadily contributing. We havent scored that consistently in 2 years. I think babs realizes that and will sit those who arent producing regardless of age or status.

#9 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

Jurco will be sent down. He can get more ice time in GR anyway so it is not a big deal. Sheahan however should be a regular even with a healthy team. He has outplayed all the others including Andersson. Tatar should also have a spot.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#10 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

Bertuzzi's next..... Those who aren't producing should be sitting (That includes Howard)

Totally. Something no one has mentioned: he's on pace for a zero-point season. Zero goals, zero assists. And we're paying him how much money? smh. Amnesty buyout, without a doubt.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#11 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

They should sit Gustavsson Tuesday and play mrazek , when's the last time he's had a start??? What's the point of having mrazek here if he's never playing , at that point call up McCollum or Coreau.

Mrazek is only 21 ... He needs to play

#12 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

Is Zetterberg more or less done until (after) the Olympics?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#13 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

Hopefully it's cleary who sits for zetterberg , then when Anderson is back, miller sits for him, then when pavel is back eaves sits for him.

#14 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

No word yet I think. Sounded precautionary, day-to-day etc, but I guess we'll know more later today.

#15 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

I remember several years ago the Yankees players were all going down with oblique injuries and eventually the team fired the trainer. And while I never advocate firing people, with all the injuries the past several years the training staff should be held partly responsible right? I mean not all the injuries have been bad luck injuries.

Getting back to the thread I think Jurco should be the next to sit, and if we get healthier then I would have no problem sending him to the AHL since I believe he could still benefit from more time down there.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#16 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Jurco will be sent down. He can get more ice time in GR anyway so it is not a big deal. Sheahan however should be a regular even with a healthy team. He has outplayed all the others including Andersson. Tatar should also have a spot.

The same can be said for Sheahan. IF everyone gets healthy he'd be the 4th C on the depth chart after Datsyuk, Weiss, and Helm. If he's only going to get 4th line minutes with Drew Miller and Eaves as wingers, he'd be better off in Grand Rapids.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#17 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

Totally. Something no one has mentioned: he's on pace for a zero-point season. Zero goals, zero assists. And we're paying him how much money? smh. Amnesty buyout, without a doubt.

For a while, I realistically thought you were talking about Bertuzzi.  Shows you how bad he's been.    

:lol:

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#18 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

Weiss isn't going anywhere.  If the Wings told him they wanted to move him, he'd probably waive the NTC as long as he wasn't being sent to a train wreck like Columbus or Calgary, but they'd get next to nothing back for him.  As good as Sheahan has played, he's not a #2 center, and I'm not convinced that Helm is either, or that he can stay healthy.

Off topic - but Columbus is 1 point behind us - we have one game in hand, but they're in the playoff race, won 8 straight recently, and will get Gaborik back some time down the stretch. I think "train wreck" is misused. For Calgary it is fitting, though.

On topic - of Seahan, Jurco, and Glendening I think Jurco is the first to be sent down. Hopefully Sheahan and Tatar can keep the chemistry without Jurco. Maybe Abdelkader or even Franzen on the wing?

Also, Why is Tatar on that list of candidates to be waived/sent down? please take it off it disturbs me

#19 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

I hope not.  I'm starting to suspect he and Datsyuk are too committed to the Olympic cause (being captains of their country) and are trying to rest a little before the grueling competition.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#20 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Off topic - but Columbus is 1 point behind us - we have one game in hand, but they're in the playoff race, won 8 straight recently, and will get Gaborik back some time down the stretch. I think "train wreck" is misused. For Calgary it is fitting, though.

On topic - of Seahan, Jurco, and Glendening I think Jurco is the first to be sent down. Hopefully Sheahan and Tatar can keep the chemistry without Jurco. Maybe Abdelkader or even Franzen on the wing?

Also, Why is Tatar on that list of candidates to be waived/sent down? please take it off it disturbs me

Tatar isn't going anywhere.  I have no idea why anyone would think he would be.

Columbus is where they are because that's how good they are.  The Wings are where they are because every forward who's worth a damn other than Nyquist and Tatar has been hurt a decent chunk of the season.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!