• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#41 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

Forgot who it was on 1040 but he had a point, if you wanted to cause shat and make a statement in Sochi ... the NHL players are probably the biggest stars/athletes so they might be a target. 

Edited by RedWingsRox, 28 January 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#42 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,022 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

To everyone managing to actually discuss the topic, kudos. 

As said earlier, I realize it's not easy to discuss the Olympics without delving into political issues, but please keep the discussion away from the political arena and relevant to hockey.  Most of you have managed to do that.  Thank You.

#43 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

I would really hate to see the NHL tell the players they can't compete, and without a big, terroristic "event" I don't see that happening.  However, if something substantial does go down, I could definitely see how pulling the players' participation would be justified.  Not only are we talking about people's lives, we're talking about an entire league's investments.  They're not about to gamble with the health/safety of their most talented/well-known players.  

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#44 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

I would really hate to see the NHL tell the players they can't compete, and without a big, terroristic "event" I don't see that happening.  However, if something substantial does go down, I could definitely see how pulling the players' participation would be justified.  Not only are we talking about people's lives, we're talking about an entire league's investments.  They're not about to gamble with the health/safety of their most talented/well-known players.  

Once the players are there, even if a terrorist attack happens, the NHL will have no say in the matter. It would be up to IOC to decide if the Games were to continue, and up to individual countries' Olympic committees to decide if they want to continue taking part. The NHL could only ask nicely at that point. Given the history of the IOC (Munich 1972, Atlanta 1996) the Games would probably go on and the players will most likely want to play on.

#45 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

IF the NHL players were removed - which team do you think benefits/loses least? Russia? 

If that came to pass, they might as well cancel all the games and just play Finland-Sweden for the gold.

But Russian NHLers will go. I would bet money that of all Russian NLers who are healthy, 2 out of 3 will go even if the NHL tries to stop them. And if the other countries don't have their top players and Russia does, the gold is Russia's to lose.

#46 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

Once the players are there, even if a terrorist attack happens, the NHL will have no say in the matter. It would be up to IOC to decide if the Games were to continue, and up to individual countries' Olympic committees to decide if they want to continue taking part. The NHL could only ask nicely at that point. Given the history of the IOC (Munich 1972, Atlanta 1996) the Games would probably go on and the players will most likely want to play on.

I was referring to something happening prior to the beginning of the games. I really don't see the NHL pulling participation over the possibility of maybe could be what if there's a threat. If something starts to look legitimate and probable, not just possible, then I could see them making that decision.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#47 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

I'm gonna be 100% selfish for a minute.

All the games start between 0700 and 1200 local, I will be at work aside from weekend games, the Wings players are all beat up and could use a 3 week gap in the schedule to just rest and work on the goddamn PP.  So if I can't watch most of the games, and the Wings need to not go and rest, I could really not care less if the NHL pulls out, cause it's the best thing for the Detroit Red Wings, and PVR takes away the excitement, as does someone yelling out scores and such.

Now from another standpoint, my 2 favourite players, though injured, are captains of their teams, so for their sake, I hope they get to go and battle for gold with Canada and USA fighting for bronze.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#48 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

Given the history of the IOC (Munich 1972, Atlanta 1996) the Games would probably go on and the players will most likely want to play on.

That right there. It was would take something massive for the IOC to cancel games. I remember watching videos of the Munich games and you see athletes running back and forth to events in the background of kidnappers holding AK's. If Im a player and something happens but the IOC says the games go on then Id tell the power hungry midget he can stuff it Im playing in the games.  Country > Club. Always will be. Players are just as likely to get blown up by a madman playing an NHL game as they are during the Olympics. In fact Id venture to say that if someone wanted to blow up an arena a run of the NHL game would be a far easier target than the Olympics with its heavy security. 

#49 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:11 AM

This is all just a ploy to keep US hockey from winning gold!!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#50 YMHC

YMHC

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:55 AM

Edited by YMHC, 29 January 2014 - 03:46 AM.

Posted Image

#51 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:49 AM

Country > Club. Always will be. Players are just as likely to get blown up by a madman playing an NHL game as they are during the Olympics.

I think both of these are debatable. Mostly the latter. How many NHL games have been threatened by terrorists, let alone actually hit? I mean, moot point, I guess. But I just wanted to say.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#52 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:27 AM

I think both of these are debatable. Mostly the latter. How many NHL games have been threatened by terrorists, let alone actually hit? I mean, moot point, I guess. But I just wanted to say.

The country > club mostly comes from the European players. In the major European sports you see a lot more of the Country A vs Country B on a heck of a lot more consistent basis than you see in North America. You see players say growing up there goal as kids was not to play in the NHL. It was to play for there national team. To most the NHL wasnt even a goal as few knew much about it. Now some of that has changed with the rise of internet and the NHL pushing to enter new European tv markets.

Im not saying there have been games threatened, although Im sure every team at some point has had some type of threat, but just that in terms of the security that will be present at the Olympics vs a standard NHL game security the NHL game would be easier to hit. An NHL game might not be the first choice for a terrorist but then again some nutjob thought a small strip of the Boston marathon was a tasty enough target so 20k in an enclosed arena might look good to them. In terms of lax security use the Joe for example. How many octopusses are smuggled in every year? All someone with ill intentions has to do is mix something nasty up and wrap it in octopus. Easy entry. 

Basically to wrap up my general viewpoint its that if you let the minute threat of danger prevent you from doing things your going to miss a lot in life. Im probably more in danger of death driving to work in the morning than athletes at the Olympics are yet I dont give a second thought to going to work.

#53 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

I was referring to something happening prior to the beginning of the games. I really don't see the NHL pulling participation over the possibility of maybe could be what if there's a threat. If something starts to look legitimate and probable, not just possible, then I could see them making that decision.

I can't picture a "legitimate and probable" terrorist threat. It is always AFTER the fact, that we say "it was probable". Before the fact, it is always "possible". If enough were known about the plot for it to be "legitimate and probable" wouldn't the security forces use that information to stop the plot?

#54 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

The country > club mostly comes from the European players. In the major European sports you see a lot more of the Country A vs Country B on a heck of a lot more consistent basis than you see in North America. You see players say growing up there goal as kids was not to play in the NHL. It was to play for there national team. To most the NHL wasnt even a goal as few knew much about it. Now some of that has changed with the rise of internet and the NHL pushing to enter new European tv markets.

All NHL players vote for Olympic participation pretty consistently. That suggests to me that its not just a European thing.

Also, for a pro athlete, it is usually money>country>>> club :)

Although there were some exceptions when NHL players played for their national teams when they didn't have NHL contracts, and so risking a lot financially, if they got hurt playing in Oly or WC games.

#55 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Just for the sake of discussion, what would happen if they did ban the players and someone (say Pavel, for instance) said, "No games?  I just going to watch.  In Russia.  See you in two weeks." and pretended to go home for the already-scheduled break.  And then played for Russia. 

What would be the punishment?  If you were in his shoes (home country, Captain of the team), how bad would those sanctions have to be to be "not worth it"?

Well, if I was in Datsyuk's shoes, I'd say there is no punishment not worth it. Yeah it might suck, but hey, there's a league at home that will pay me a lot more to play there and I'll be much closer to my family. NHL really has no leverage in a situation like that.

#56 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

Yeah this is getting pretty risky. Ive read some crazy things about what is going on around the events in Sochi and it's kind of scary. I also saw this the other day and thought I'd share it here.

http://m.imgur.com/a/0muGY
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#57 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

Yeah this is getting pretty risky. Ive read some crazy things about what is going on around the events in Sochi and it's kind of scary. I also saw this the other day and thought I'd share it here.

http://m.imgur.com/a/0muGY

Oh no, they are building stuff in Sochi, and it looks like a construction site. Pahlease!

I can take photos like that 100 ft from my house and I live in the center of Ohio capital that has no Olympic construction going on.

Seriously, all I saw was a construction site for some high rise apartment buildings, what does that have to do with the Olympics?

#58 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

Oh no, they are building stuff in Sochi, and it looks like a construction site. Pahlease!

I can take photos like that 100 ft from my house and I live in the center of Ohio capital that has no Olympic construction going on.

Seriously, all I saw was a construction site for some high rise apartment buildings, what does that have to do with the Olympics?

I saw these pictures a few days ago. I feel like they're trying to portray it as an unsafe war zone call of duty map type place when this is just a typical construction site. Oh no steel beams in a lay down area near a main road (probably how they got there in the first place) how dare they! Granted working in construction I notice some obvious safety issues there but I'm sure their rules are different. These pictures could easily have been taken in the U.S. and look no different. The fact that their is construction of that scale going on is suppose to be a good thing.

#59 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

Or maybe perhaps all of this indicates it is an unsafe war zone. In all honesty why would it even be an issue with the NHL then? I hardly doubt just to ruffle feathers...also go take a picture of your construction in Ohio then take another one of the Olympics being played there a week later.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#60 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

I think he problem is all of that stuff was supposed to be done and is way past deadline and won't be completed in time for the Olympics. I know I heard a lot about a lot of the hotels not being finished in time and so forth