• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#21 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

Would you settle for a box?  There may or may not be a dead cat in it.

+1

Don't Toews me, bro!

#22 Richdg

Richdg

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

Guys, I was clearly talking about if Z can't play anymore, which is a legit possibility. Something we will all find out over the next few months. Same is true with franzen and his multiple concussions. These can be career enders. Under that context only if they can't play, we have 1 buyout left to use, that has to be used this summer.

#23 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

Again.... You cannot buy out a player that's on the shelf for injury.

So, if Z or Franzen were unable to play, we'd be discussing *THEIR* decision to retire.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#24 Richdg

Richdg

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

yes, then we have the option to buy them out.

#25 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#26 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

If a player ends the season on ir they need medical clearance to be bought out. /story

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#27 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

Guys, I was clearly talking about if Z can't play anymore, which is a legit possibility. Something we will all find out over the next few months. Same is true with franzen and his multiple concussions. These can be career enders. Under that context only if they can't play, we have 1 buyout left to use, that has to be used this summer.

There are so many things wrong here its stunning.

1 - if they are injured that seriously they would just stay on LTIR until their contracts were up and that last buyout could be used on Tootoo who continues to cost the team money while having no chance of playing any time soon.

2 - If a player is injured they CANNOT be bought out.

3 - There is no situation where buying out either of those players makes sense.

4 - letting them retire is better for the team financially than buying out either one.

5 - there is no indication that either player is injured seriously enough that their careers are in jeopardy.

Edited by FlashyG, 16 February 2014 - 12:29 AM.

#28 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:29 AM

I've been away from this board for a long time, just recently came back and I have one question?

What the heck happened to the Red Wings fanbase? Buyout ZETTERBERG?! Are you serious?

I hate to be mean but come on! Some of these comments and trade proposals are miserable.

If the red wings were a more widespread religion, one word would describe some talk on this site....
Blasphemy.

There's been extensive talk of buying z out recently, and before that, trading.....
Wait for it.
Pavel datsyuk.

It's best just to wait till the ships back on course to read this site, cuz people are going crazy with us on the cusp of missin the playoffs.
Scary.
It's Doomsday prophecy type panic.

#29 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:24 AM

Whether Franzen is healthy or not he should be bought out or told to retire. We don't need crap like him on the team.

Then we can sign a guy like vanek in free agency and play some of the younger guys. Maybe make a trade or two but ya... Holland REFUSES to do either of these....

#30 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:37 AM

Whether Franzen is healthy or not he should be bought out or told to retire. We don't need crap like him on the team.

Then we can sign a guy like vanek in free agency and play some of the younger guys. Maybe make a trade or two but ya... Holland REFUSES to do either of these....

Yeah why would we want to keep one of our best goal scorers on a team that struggles to score goals!!!

Holland refuses to buy out Franzen because he's not clinically insane. There isn't a GM in all of hockey who would buyout his contract, the value on it is fantastic.

We could still sign someone like Vanek and keep Franzen so there's absolutely no point in buying him out. Although I personally don't think Vanek is worth the 8+ he'll probably get on the open market. 

Its also hard to say Holland won't pursue free agents when we signed 2 of the biggest this past off-season and just missed out on the biggest one the year before. You'd be hard pressed to find a GM who is more active in Free Agency. 

#31 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

^ I'm glad to know there is still some sanity on the LGW boards.

#32 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

Buying out Z makes ZERO sense. Franzen on the other hand.............that's another story for another day.

#33 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

Franzen scores 27 or 28 goals and 60 points a year. Vanek has been at 30 and 70 on average the last few years. Please explain why Franzen is a bum at a $4 mil cap hit but Vanek is worth the monster contract he's going to want.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#34 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

Franzen scores 27 or 28 goals and 60 points a year. Vanek has been at 30 and 70 on average the last few years. Please explain why Franzen is a bum at a $4 mil cap hit but Vanek is worth the monster contract he's going to want.

Dude, you're barking up the wrong tree.  Fact is, the Franzen hate around here makes no sense and never will.  Somewhere along the line Franzen got a certain reputation and people ran with it.  Now they spend all their time trying to justify this hate post hoc with a variety of silly reasons. 

Franzen's a floater (he isn't, you don't score as often as he does by not playing),

Franzen's streaky (he isn't, or at least not more so than Zetterberg who typically has longer scoring droughts than Franzen),

Franzen doesn't play defense (he does, in fact he's so responsible Babs has been using him on the PK),

Franzen's contract will be horrible when he's 40 (maybe, but so will every other back diving contract like his.  What makes him different?)

Franzen's injury prone (he isn't, at least no more so than Dats and Zetterberg and far less so than Kronwall)

Now, here's the funny part.  People say all these things about Franzen, and then when he's playing and scoring and making a difference (which is nearly every game) you say "I thought Franzen was a bum" and they'll reply "Well he isn't a bum NOW, because he's trying".  Soooooo stupid.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#35 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

Dude, you're barking up the wrong tree.  Fact is, the Franzen hate around here makes no sense and never will.  Somewhere along the line Franzen got a certain reputation and people ran with it.  Now they spend all their time trying to justify this hate post hoc with a variety of silly reasons. 

Franzen's a floater (he isn't, you don't score as often as he does by not playing),

Franzen's streaky (he isn't, or at least not more so than Zetterberg who typically has longer scoring droughts than Franzen),

Franzen doesn't play defense (he does, in fact he's so responsible Babs has been using him on the PK),

Franzen's contract will be horrible when he's 40 (maybe, but so will every other back diving contract like his.  What makes him different?)

Franzen's injury prone (he isn't, at least no more so than Dats and Zetterberg and far less so than Kronwall)

Now, here's the funny part.  People say all these things about Franzen, and then when he's playing and scoring and making a difference (which is nearly every game) you say "I thought Franzen was a bum" and they'll reply "Well he isn't a bum NOW, because he's trying".  Soooooo stupid.

Agree with everything except the Kronwall part.  He had a lot of injuries early in his career, but he hasn't had injuries to the same body part. 

In the cases of Mule and Z, they have issues with head and back respectively.  Those recurring injuries, and the fact that they are injuries that can linger and/or reignite, make them what I would call "injury prone",

Kronner has had many different injuries partly because of the way that he has played, which is less physical now that Lids is gone, and partly because that's the way the puck bounces.

Aside from that one thing, I applaud your post.

#36 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

That's the stupidest argument ever as I'm sure you're one of the people who say ovi is a floater to? But yet he has 40 goals so far.

Franzen floating and not playing defense is kind of the same idea?

Franzen won't last until he is 40 and I doubt z does as well. Now dats? Ya he can IMO.

Saying Weiss is a top free agent to me is laughable as I've been down on the signing since day one. And I don't care for Alfie signing either...nyquist is pretty much our leading goal scorer with quite a few less games. Imagine if he was in team to start the year like I said he should but couldn't because of Hollands STUPID signings.

#37 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

That's the stupidest argument ever as I'm sure you're one of the people who say ovi is a floater to? But yet he has 40 goals so far.

Franzen won't last until he is 40 and I doubt z does as well. Now dats? Ya he can IMO.

Saying Weiss is a top free agent to me is laughable as I've been down on the signing since day one. And I don't care for Alfie signing either...nyquist is pretty much our leading goal scorer with quite a few less games. Imagine if he was in team to start the year like I said he should but couldn't because of Hollands STUPID signings.

You don't care for the Alfie signing? No offense but I'm glad you're not our GM. He's been one of our better, more consistent forwards this year, 3rd in team scoring, and has that bomb of a shot. Oh, and he's right handed and not named Mikael Samuelsson. Seems like a win win to me. 

That said, I agree with you on the Weiss signing. I still don't and didn't like it, but I'm thinking if he's had the hernia since the start or very early into the year, he hasn't been up to snuff. I'm leaving my judgement until after the season, possibly next. 

temp 1

#38 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

You realize that when they signed those contracts nobody expected them to play that long, right?

Are you going to answer my question now?  How is 2 goals and 8 assists more production worth another $3+ mil a season for the difference between Franzen and Vanek?

#39 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Btw I hate the mobile version of this site I can't quote people?? Maybe it's just me.

Anyway dyes I hate the Alfie signing. Yes I agree with your points you made and it makes sense. If we were close to winning a cup? He'll yes it'd be a great signing! But we are not. It's a FACT this team is still a year or two away. Or more. I know you people in lala LAN like to think differently but it's a fact. This team needs some changes one of which is founding out which young guys can play and contribute. They can't when we have the old and useless taking up play time.

#40 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Btw I hate the mobile version of this site I can't quote people?? Maybe it's just me.
Anyway dyes I hate the Alfie signing. Yes I agree with your points you made and it makes sense. If we were close to winning a cup? He'll yes it'd be a great signing! But we are not. It's a FACT this team is still a year or two away. Or more. I know you people in lala LAN like to think differently but it's a fact. This team needs some changes one of which is founding out which young guys can play and contribute. They can't when we have the old and useless taking up play time.

Try the tapatalk app and look for the lgw forums.