• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LAWings

Very Chris Very, Very Osgood...very

Rate this topic

I know he's a rookie broadcaster, and he has said there's more learning and work to do. I think he's a great guy, always enjoyed his work on the ice, but find myself lately tuning into the opposing team's broadcast (I have NHL Center Ice).

Everything is either good, very good, or very, very good.

A player is playing well, very well, or very, very well.

very, Very...very, very

He needs to vary up his use of very. :cheesy:

I would recommend he takes another broadcasting class to learn synonyms and different ways of expressing oneself other than to use the word very, all, the...time...

eMrLy.png

Edited by LAWings

Doing play by play and color commentating is far more difficult than it seems.

Which is why they should have kept Murphy around. He was really coming into his own. He was like the lovable goofball that you couldn't help but laugh at. My two favorite Murphy moments...

1) Doing a pre-game spot on dollar hotdog night from the hotdog stand. When they delivered his order he had SEVEN hotdogs.

2) A couple of years ago when we played Nashville in the playoffs and Murph did his pregame spot while onstage in a Nashville music hall with full backup band. Every time he made an important point the drummer crashed on the cymbals and Murph would pump his hammy fist in the air.

Agreed.

The content of what Ozzy is saying is pretty good, but he should definitely do some homework in the offseason. Watch a lot of video of himself, and then watch video from the best guys out there.

And Osgood though his days of intense video sessions ended the day he stopped tending goal! You're a stern taskmaster Harold.

I talked with my buddy last night about Ozzie, we both agreed he is better the the blond woman they have on with Eilliot and he has a very ;) long way to go. But he is no drunk uncle...... err i mean Murph. I really wonder what happened and who he pissed off.

Which is why they should have kept Murphy around. He was really coming into his own. He was like the lovable goofball that you couldn't help but laugh at. My two favorite Murphy moments...

1) Doing a pre-game spot on dollar hotdog night from the hotdog stand. When they delivered his order he had SEVEN hotdogs.

2) A couple of years ago when we played Nashville in the playoffs and Murph did his pregame spot while onstage in a Nashville music hall with full backup band. Every time he made an important point the drummer crashed on the cymbals and Murph would pump his hammy fist in the air.

I've actually gotten used to Ozzie in the Booth mainly because he talks so damn quietly and I've gotten tired of trying to hear what he's saying, so I ignore most of it. Someone should either turn his mic up or turn it off completely. Getting rid of Murph was a giant mistake. Maybe I'm alone but I can't stand Darren Eliot.

As a former broadcaster myself for Oakland University, If I could give Osgood any advice, I would tell him to listen to his broadcasts over and over again. It didn't make sense to me until I did it, once I listened to myself I then realized what everyone else was hearing. If it didn't make sense while listening to it, just imagine how the people understood it or lack thereof during the broadcast.

Broadcasting is definitely an art, so I have some sympathy for Ozzie.

Having analysis from 2 goalies is boring. At times it appears Ozzie is stealing Darrens thunder as what a goalie thinks as Darren was the defacto goalie expert on Fox, now... not so much. I tend to ignore most of what they say now and gain very little insight into a team that the analyst won 3 Cups with. There are little tid bits here and there, but just not as much as I was expecting. I find there's more insight provided when a former forward or d-man is the color guy in the overall playmaking and what's going on. A goalie was never involved in practice day after day working on offensive drills, there's not much he can offer other when it comes to all the other positions floating on the ice, or the plays.

And his speaking mannerism is tiring, he pauses a lot mid sentence, like he says 3 words pause 3 more words, pause, 3 more words end of sentence.

Ozzie is like a flat black cup of coffee found at 10:37 am in a car dealership on a Saturday morning, it gets the job done, don't expect anything special. Micky is a cup of coffee you find at home after dinner, with a few healthy splashes of 'ginger ale' in it.

I still love the guy, but I hope this isn't the future.

Having analysis from 2 goalies is boring. At times it appears Ozzie is stealing Darrens thunder as what a goalie thinks as Darren was the defacto goalie expert on Fox, now... not so much. I tend to ignore most of what they say now and gain very little insight into a team that the analyst won 3 Cups with. There are little tid bits here and there, but just not as much as I was expecting. I find there's more insight provided when a former forward or d-man is the color guy in the overall playmaking and what's going on. A goalie was never involved in practice day after day working on offensive drills, there's not much he can offer other when it comes to all the other positions floating on the ice, or the plays.

And his speaking mannerism is tiring, he pauses a lot mid sentence, like he says 3 words pause 3 more words, pause, 3 more words end of sentence.

Ozzie is like a flat black cup of coffee found at 10:37 am in a car dealership on a Saturday morning, it gets the job done, don't expect anything special. Micky is a cup of coffee you find at home after dinner, with a few healthy splashes of 'ginger ale' in it.

I still love the guy, but I hope this isn't the future.

Too many ex Red Wing players on broadcasts and in the studio, I think some diversity would help with a different perspective.

I'll give him a few more seasons before I say anything bad. He could be funny (in that low-key Canadian way) when he was a goalie being interviewed. The driver's seat has a different view than the passenger's- and a lot more responsibility.

I just keep looking to see where his hair is pointing. For some reason, I expect something to be there.

I miss my Murph, but Darren Elliot (who used to make me want to chew nails) has really grown on me.

Guest Playmaker

I don't see Osgood ever really excelling in broadcasting. He just doesn't have the voice or the personality. He doesn't speak loud enough and always sounds short of breath. Murphy was bad and never really improved. Daren Eliot is tolerable. I thought he was an upgrade over Osgood when he was in the booth.

I have no issues with Ozzie really, but he just has a bit of a monotone voice. But it's his first year, I'm sure he'll improve. I was really bummed when I heard that they let Murph go, really enjoyed listening to him, especially the excitement surrounding dollar hot dog night! I had completely forgotten how excited he used to get over that!