• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#1541 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

So a 2 year guy in Mitchell would be worse? Mitchell is better than Greene and is also a solid defensive dman. Not to mention the kids might learn something from him, where they won't learn anything from Greene. There's a reason Greene is playing less than 5 minutes a period. Not to mention we don't need another 3rd pairing defenseman.

#1542 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

I'm not sure if Wayne Simmonds is available, but we should make a huge push for him if he is.

ahh, I wish!! Wayne has been on my wishlist for a while now.. don't really see philly giving him up for anything we'd be willing to pay though.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#1543 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

So a 2 year guy in Mitchell would be worse? Mitchell is better than Greene and is also a solid defensive dman. Not to mention the kids might learn something from him, where they won't learn anything from Greene. There's a reason Greene is playing less than 5 minutes a period. Not to mention we don't need another 3rd pairing defenseman.

yes we do. Only DD and big E are even close to playing quality D. Smith is an offensive guy, Kronwall is an offensive guy, Kindl just sucks, and Lashoff is a 7th. So yes we need a good 3rd pair guy.

Mitchell doesn't fit being LHed-we have 6 of those, and the LAK have been rumored to want to keep him. Greene not so much.

#1544 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

I disagree with the notion that we need a 2 year filler on the back end because we'll end up with a scenario similar to this season - kids stuck in the minors who need to play in the NHL because there's some cagey veteran who's actually breaking down and holding up his spot. Not to say that signing the likes of Boyle or Mitchell would be a bad thing, I'd happily take either on a 1 year deal, but 2 years? Meh. 

temp 1

#1545 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

Exactly. Same as Boyle. 2 year deals for Greene and Boyle would help stabalize the D until the young guys are ready.

If Holland goes the FA route, I would much rather he do this than sign Niskanen to a long term deal. We need to have roster felxibility. Marchenko, Backman, Ouellet, and Sproul could all be legit NHLers in 2 years.

I agree.  I want to see 1 year stop gap contracts instead of 2 like Colo and Sammy.  The only long term contract I would like to see in the offseason would be Moulson for 5 years max.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#1546 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

I agree.  I want to see 1 year stop gap contracts instead of 2 like Colo and Sammy.  The only long term contract I would like to see in the offseason would be Moulson for 5 years max.

If we're only willing to offer a 1-year deal to a UFA defenceman than we better not expect anyone better than a Corvo or Komisarek.

No defenceman with value is going to sign a 1-year deal unless they're rebounding from a horrendous season and all the aging guys will sacrifice salary for term.

We will add a veteran defenceman but it will be for more than a year.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1547 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

If we're only willing to offer a 1-year deal to a UFA defenceman than we better not expect anyone better than a Corvo or Komisarek.

No defenceman with value is going to sign a 1-year deal unless they're rebounding from a horrendous season and all the aging guys will sacrifice salary for term.

We will add a veteran defenceman but it will be for more than a year.

Bingo.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1548 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

FWIW, Malik has some bullet points based on Holland's interview with Detroit Sports 105.1 FM today. Some of you are going to hate #4.

http://kuklaskorner....-fm-mantha-talk

Amongst Holland's points of emphasis (the draft, Anthony Mantha, Mike Babcock's contract extension and free agency chit-chat):

1. He plans on taking a "skater" with the 15th overall draft pick (i.e. not a goaltender), though the Wings may move up or down a few spots depending on where players rank on the team's post-scouting-meetings draft list. He does feel that the combine's interview process can change the team's master list, but he also pointed out that players are much more mature thanks to under-18, under-17 and under-16 programs, so when the Wings' ten scouts have a chat with said players, they speak to more finished prospects;

2. Holland was more enthusiastic about Anthony Mantha's chances of making the team than he was a month ago. He duly noted that Mantha didn't back-check very regularly because he was taking 90-second shifts at the Memorial Cup, but after Babcock scouted Mantha during the QMJHL final and the Wings watched him at the Memorial Cup, Holland feels that he's going to need to sit down with Mantha and explain that he will be given the opportunity to earn a top-six spot with the team.

Holland doesn't want Mantha to be utilized as a checker, so if Manthaa doesn't steal somebody's job, he's going to Grand Rapids, but Holland readily admitted that Mantha's size and scoring potential have him rethinking his desire to "over-ripen" prospects in the AHL in this case;

3. Regarding Mike Babcock, Holland simply stated that Babcock had both scouted Mantha in Quebec and that the coach went back to Saskatchewan to kick off his summer vacation, so the pair hadn't been in the same area for a while. Holland said that he'd speak with Babcock during the team's organizational meetings from June 2nd to June 4th at the Joe, that he'd have time with Babcock during the draft and free agency, and that he expects to talk contract extension turkey with Babcock at this time.

Holland told Dery that he'd "have to be living under a rock" to not hear the rumors about Babcock going elsewhere, and Holland understands why Babcock's record and charisma make him an intriguing candidate for coaching jobs, but he feels that Babcock wants to remain in Detroit, and he believes that Babcock wants to get an extension deal hammered out, too.

Cue the Tweets!

4. Regarding free agents and possible summer moves, Holland really emphasized the need for the team to get healthy, mentioning Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Stephen Weiss by name, and he suggested that this summer's free agent class is a bit weaker than usual (that's very accurate given the forwards, defensemen and goalies out there). Ye olde, "We'll explore" (i.e. prepare for tire-kicking) seemed to take a backseat to his and the team's desire to "improve from within."

Edited by rick zombo, 29 May 2014 - 02:51 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#1549 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

FWIW, Malik has some bullet points based on Holland's interview with Detroit Sports 105.1 FM today. Some of you are going to hate #4.

http://kuklaskorner....-fm-mantha-talk

I agree with 1-3.

But the 4th....SMFH. At least make an offer to guys like Callahan or vanek. Just don't overpay and when/if we get outbid so be it. But at least make an effort.

I think we need three free agents or trades this off season...maybe four if we don't resign monster.

#1550 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

This team isn't going anywhere next season if we "rebuild from within" this off-season. Sure, we've got some prospects that are projected to make the roster in the future, but we've got to make a few moves and get NHL players on this roster now. How many more years are Datsyuk and Zetterberg going to be leaned on to be our top scorers?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#1551 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

I agree with 1-3.

But the 4th....SMFH. At least make an offer to guys like Callahan or vanek. Just don't overpay and when/if we get outbid so be it. But at least make an effort.

I think we need three free agents or trades this off season...maybe four if we don't resign monster.

Why waste time making an offer that's less than their reported salary demands?  Callahan wants $6 mil per, Vanek wants $50 mil over 7 years.  Neither are worth close to that.

I don't go to Captain Cut and Paste's blog, I just go to milve and the Detroit paper sites directly, but I'm assuming Holland said they weren't going to get into a bidding war or something, unless the above post was it.  In that case, it doesn't say he wouldn't give their agents a call.

On Defense, I'd be happy to let Smith move into the top 4 and bring in a rookie for the third pair, and let Kindl and Lashoff fight it out for the 6 spot.  People always say they want to give kids a chance, then demand that they go out and get vets to fill holes.  Smith has 120+ NHL games in plus two playoff runs, and showed improvement.  He deserves the shot.

Edited by DickieDunn, 29 May 2014 - 04:26 PM.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1552 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

I agree with 1-3.

I believe you could call that exploring.

As for FAs. There's only room for 3 even with a goalie: 1D, 1F (depending on whether Alfie retires and Mantha/Jurco sent down), and 1G if Mrazek isn't backup. We need to leave 1 spot on D where a prospect can take away a spot (probably Kindl's).

My ideal:

Sign Nabokov for 1 year (I want Mrazek, but people say another year in the AHL is better for him)

SIgn Gaborik: if not let Mantha/Jurco play (don't want Moulson/Vanek/Callahan at their prices)

Sign Markov for 1 year: would mean that Sproul/Marchenko get the call to supply a righty and Kindl/Lashoff need to move to make room. If not: Let the kids play!

Tootoo traded to give him a chance to play

(Miller traded for Eaves, haha)

Z-D-Alfie/Mantha

Franzen-Weiss-Gaborik

Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist

Miller-Helm-Abby

Glendening

Kronwall-Dekeyser

Markov-Smith

Ericsson-Kindl/Sproul/Marchenko

Lashoff

Howard

Nabokov

#1553 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

I believe you could call that exploring.

As for FAs. There's only room for 3 even with a goalie: 1D, 1F (depending on whether Alfie retires and Mantha/Jurco sent down), and 1G if Mrazek isn't backup. We need to leave 1 spot on D where a prospect can take away a spot (probably Kindl's).

My ideal:

Sign Nabokov for 1 year (I want Mrazek, but people say another year in the AHL is better for him)

SIgn Gaborik: if not let Mantha/Jurco play (don't want Moulson/Vanek/Callahan at their prices)

Sign Markov for 1 year: would mean that Sproul/Marchenko get the call to supply a righty and Kindl/Lashoff need to move to make room. If not: Let the kids play!

Tootoo traded to give him a chance to play

(Miller traded for Eaves, haha)

Z-D-Alfie/Mantha

Franzen-Weiss-Gaborik

Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist

Miller-Helm-Abby

Glendening

Kronwall-Dekeyser

Markov-Smith

Ericsson-Kindl/Sproul/Marchenko

Lashoff

Howard

Nabokov

I hope you don't mean Danny Markov lol

Gaborik will probably re-sign in LA, he seems to really be enjoying himself there.

Markov I would take, might be a little pricey, but what the hell, not my money so let's splurge, we got the cap space anyway.

I know Kenny said we shouldnt be expecting a big free agency splash from him, but he says that every year, and still signs players, we will get a dman, probably not Markov cause kenny wants a rh shot, that's why I see us getting Boyle

#1554 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

I know Kenny said we shouldnt be expecting a big free agency splash from him, but he says that every year, and still signs players, we will get a dman, probably not Markov cause kenny wants a rh shot, that's why I see us getting Boyle

Exactly. They will bring in a D man. Through trade or free agency, guaranteed. 

Both Holland and Babcock (and my dog, and cabbie, and the girl who gets me popcorn at the movies, and Jeff Bridges, and Prince) said they need to improve the friggin' D. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#1555 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

we need to make the deal for Kesler, sign Morris and Mitchell to 2 year deals....bingo, instantly better up front and on D...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#1556 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

wings4cup, we had cap issues more than anything this year. That is not the case. Also all of our top Dman prospects have 2-3 years left before they hit waivers. let them develop and EARN a spot in Detroit instead of just giving them a spot.

#1557 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Is it just me or has Hollands mentality changed from "let's put together a championship team" to "let's put together a competitive team" and makes the playoffs. I get that the cap has hindered his magic some from the golden years in the late 90's but we have aging super stars and I see it as a failure every off-season Holland doesn't make an effort to go for the cup for Pav and Z. You gotta take some chances now before it's too late.

#1558 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

What's the problem?? If a kid impresses that much to earn a job over a vet then great, that just gives us another good asset to move to improve in other areas

#1559 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

Dat, so right. I have said many times..... either rebuild or go for the cup. Pick one and do it. I am ok either way. Stop with the half a$$ measures.

#1560 WingedWheel91

WingedWheel91

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:08 AM

People,

Besides staying relatively healthy - this team has ONE NEED. A capable puck moving, offensive defenseman that plays within our system. Forget this obsession with the Right Handed Shot, last time we won a cup we only had 1 in our top six. Our problem is and (has been since Lidstrom left), a massive void on the backend where we lack the playmaking, transition and control of the game we once had.

Kronwall can certainly play this style - but unfortunately he cant seem to do it while playing the shutdown role as well. As long as management stays on the same page - and based on our prospects pool we certainly draft like it - we need to acquire a defenseman (left or right handed) that can get the puck out of our zone and set up/sustain our possession based offense. We still have a very capable group of forwards, not any worse than those of Montreal or New York - the difference is they have much better puck movers than we do.

The rest of our top 6 (Ericsson, Dekeyser, Smith, Kindl and Quincey) represent 4 players that played the exact same defensive minded game, and Brendan Smith who does not fit the style of game our forwards are used to playing. At times, I liked what I saw from Smith, I thought he showed some of his skillset - but it was almost ALWAYS a great individual rush beating 1 or 2 players, circle back and make a pass to a forward regardless of how bad of a position the forward was in. His 19 points in the regular season, and 0 in the playoffs seam to reflect this.

I understand the value of having a mix of Right Handed players, but this team needs a Quarterback - even if he shoots left.