• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

ECQF - Game 4 - Bruins 3 at Red Wings 2 (F/OT)

Rate this topic

This team has failed to change with the times. Once upon a time the NHL cracked down on holding and interference. This changes every so often and this team was built for those times.

BTW this is how NJ and the Jets beat us all those years ago.

Until this team is put together for the current climate in the NHL, we will have moments where we look great and moments where we cant get anything done.

How long will it take? Until we miss the playoffs is my guess.

Hahaha. Everyone here is too busy being right to reasonably consider the validity of statement with which they disagree.

Truer words have not been spoken! It may come off like I don't do this, but I honestly try to incorporate every argument that comes up into my analysis, its just most times it doesn't end up changing my opinion. Which is fine, I don't have a problem with people keeping their original opinions, as long as they're truly taking everything into account!

This team has failed to change with the times. Once upon a time the NHL cracked down on holding and interference. This changes every so often and this team was built for those times.

BTW this is how NJ and the Jets beat us all those years ago.

Until this team is put together for the current climate in the NHL, we will have moments where we look great and moments where we cant get anything done.

How long will it take? Until we miss the playoffs is my guess.

Speed and skill and youth is the new school. This season is our decisive shift in that direction.

They weren't ready for the size and relentlessness of Boston. I'm happy that they're getting the experience, it'll be very invaluable for them.

Then that's a problem, because we're in the same division as Boston. We need to get bigger if we want to get past them in the future.

So much negativity. I tend to stay away from here because reading everyone's posts leaves me with negative feelings about the team, but I'll put in my thoughts so there will be something positive.

I don't know what the rest of you are watching, we're playing the best team in hockey, the 2011 Stanley Cup Champs, and the 2013 Eastern Conference Champs. The Bruins have been there, done that. We're the 8th seed, a team with a lot of young players who are experiencing the NHL playoffs for the 1st time. They're learning on the fly. I really don't understand what people were expecting. I've been saying the Bruins would win in 5, but the Wings would make it tough for them. So far I've been right.

Other then the first half of Game 3, I thought we've played well. We're getting a decent amount of shots against an excellent defensive team, and holding our own. If we were playing any other team then the Bruins, we wouldn't be down 3-1.

Maybe it's because I think long term, and a lot of people here think short term, but playing the best team in hockey can be a very good thing a year or two down the road. Our young players can see what needs to be done to win in the post season.

I still think we have one more good shot at a Cup with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the team. With everyone healthy next year and the experience our young guys are getting this playoffs, 2014-15 could be the year.

Blaming Babcock is the most ludicrous thing on earth..once again consider the original source.

LOL. Yeah, I'm the only one here who thinks a change would benefit both sides. Just posting my opinion, like everyone else. I just know this team is slowly getting worse every year under he and Holland. Of course we could only regress after being first every year, but we can't seem to stop the decline.

Laviollete? Really? Thats everyones suggestion after this?

First off: He is NOT a good coach. Philly suddenly becomes one of the best teams in the league once he gets fired...okay.

Plus hes unemployed for a reason, lots of teams are looking for a head coach.

I am not a babs supporter by any means but he belongs here and does a good job, this team is much better with him than without.

Second, its the team Holland gives to babcock that is the issue. You think any coach can make a team whos second best defenceman is kyle quincey make it past the first round? Let alone make it to the playoffs.

The bottom pairing of Kindl-Lashoff? We probably have a tied series if not for that hole Holland decided to ignore

The Flyers went to the Finals with Laviolette. They fired him because sometimes a change is needed to spark the team or bring in a new philosophy once the players tune out. You really think Berube is a better coach than him or that the Flyers feel that way? I doubt it. It was just time to make a change.

yeah you are right - replacing smith with quincey makes the top 4 respectable!

quincey, kindl, laschoff and smith are all much of a muchness - they are all crap. i struggle to see how replacing the coach would make any difference - the wings would still have a vastly inferior roster to the top teams.

it is the guy that has overseen the wings go from having the best top 4 in hockey to having one of the worst in the space of a few years that has to take the blame

I'd have no problem with Kenny going to Tottenham. They could use some overripe youngsters. ;)

I can't believe some people are crying to fire Babcock... the best coach in hockey. Unreal. Seriously people, take off the homer glasses here, think clearly and realistically. This team that we have, has no chance against Boston. Not because of coaching, because of talent. Boston is stronger, bigger, more talented in every area. From net, to defensemen, to their forwards. Add in the fact that Datsyuk clearly is struggling with his injury still, and Zetterberg as well, then combine the fact that the rest of the roster is full of guys who played in the AHL last year, and you should easily be able to see what the problem is here. It's not the coach. It's an inexperienced roster, filled with injuries up against the team that is probably going to win the cup.

Lets be serious here rather than trying to point the blame at Babcock, or even Holland for that matter... If it wasnt for all these kids currently playing on the Wings that were drafted... we wouldn't even be in the damn playoffs today. The fact that we even are is a miracle on its own the way this season went, without a guy like Babcock behind the bench steering those kids adn getting the best out of them down the stretch, you could shoot a cannon through this forum right now it would be so empty.

Holland deserves way more blame than Babcock, but Babcock shouldn't be blameless. He sticks to bizarre line combos that don't work and over relies on Glendenning in a key situation when he shouldn't. You can't tell me that all these bad personnel moves we've made over the years totally went over Babcock's head. He has to be responsible also for these moves. I refuse to believe that Holland leaves Babcock in the dark whenever he brings in a Cleary or trades a Quincey for a first rounder.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Good game for the most part.... My break down.

The Monster was huge. Can't blame him. We got caught running around on defense.

Inconsistent reffing has me in the fits (seems this way every playoffs).

I have not seen the replay but it looked like Chara jumped up to the line stopped and let Bert hit him. Technically it could have been interference. But as a player I can't remember how many time I was told by a referee if our player did not stop moving his legs he would have called a penalty. This leads me to how many times does Tatar get hooked and grabbed, does not flop but battles to break free and no call. Maybe this is the new NHL?

I don't remember the last time I got as upset when Legwands stick got broke at the end of the 3rd. The new rules are pretty clear when it comes to this. there was a copping motion that broke an opponent stick. 2 minutes every time..... no call.

I am usually the last to complain about the refs but it lead to a PPG against and OT PP opportunity. Pure joke.

Now that rant is over. I could not help think about babs comment about giving goals away. Lucic Goal should never happen. I am sure Goose feels horrible, young mistake.

There you have it, my .02

LOL. Yeah, I'm the only one here who thinks a change would benefit both sides. Just posting my opinion, like everyone else. I just know this team is slowly getting worse every year under he and Holland. Of course we could only regress after being first every year, but we can't seem to stop the decline.

What does this have to do with 1 game? There are plenty of fire babs and holland threads to voice your displeasure.

Smith has been outstanding. Looks more like a top pairing guy then Ericsson ever has. Our first line pairing should be dynamic and able to make plays offensively. I'd give Smith that spot see how Ericsson looks playing with DD cause that could be a great shut down pairing

So much negativity. I tend to stay away from here because reading everyone's posts leaves me with negative feelings about the team, but I'll put in my thoughts so there will be something positive.

I don't know what the rest of you are watching, we're playing the best team in hockey, the 2011 Stanley Cup Champs, and the 2013 Eastern Conference Champs. The Bruins have been there, done that. We're the 8th seed, a team with a lot of young players who are experiencing the NHL playoffs for the 1st time. They're learning on the fly. I really don't understand what people were expecting. I've been saying the Bruins would win in 5, but the Wings would make it tough for them. So far I've been right.

Other then the first half of Game 3, I thought we've played well. We're getting a decent amount of shots against an excellent defensive team, and holding our own. If we were playing any other team then the Bruins, we wouldn't be down 3-1.

Maybe it's because I think long term, and a lot of people here think short term, but playing the best team in hockey can be a very good thing a year or two down the road. Our young players can see what needs to be done to win in the post season.

I still think we have one more good shot at a Cup with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the team. With everyone healthy next year and the experience our young guys are getting this playoffs, 2014-15 could be the year.

Props, Barrie.

There's nothing worse than falling short of the Cup when you're a serious contender. We all know what that feels like. '95. '96. '99. '03. '04. '06. '09. This? This whole really-young-and-iffy-team-losing-to-one-of-the-better-teams-of-the-salary-cap-era thing? This falls on the other end of the spectrum. Suddenly, we're the young upstarts. Suddenly, everyone agrees that we'd make a great Cinderella story.

I became a Wings fan in '94. So, this is pretty much new territory for me. I'm trying to rewire myself to understand that being knocked out of the playoffs isn't the end of the world. For the first time in forever, if we draw the Habs, we're the underdogs. The Habs. And we'd be the underdogs. (The Montreal Canadiens. Them. The favorites. Montreal. You can't make this stuff up.)

I've stopped s***ting on Ken Holland. I mean, I still hate him, because you're not a True Wings Fan unless you hate Ken Holland. But, seriously, spend some time on SB Nation, go through the NHL chapters. We are so blessed it's disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. We've made the playoffs for 23 straight seasons. This last little bit is the only stretch where we haven't entered the dance as a heavy favorite - and even now, no one really wants to face the Red Wings in the playoffs if they can avoid it. Fans of every team hate their ownership and management and coach and underachieving, over-the-hill veterans. The difference with us is we're flat-out spoiled rotten. We really, truly are.

I'm not saying I don't take issue with any of the decisions made by Holland or Babcock. I'm not saying I have total faith in The Plan. I'm saying, all things considered, we as Wings fans have it as good as it gets in the world of pro sports. Like I said, this will probably be our lowest point, yet we're still a very good postseason team. While I don't think, say, adding Sproul and Ouellet on the back end next season would make us an elite team, our prospect pool is stupid-good and has already paid off in a big way. And free agents and trades are always an option.

I just hope we can take a step in the right direction in the offseason which hasn't happened in the last 3 years. I would resign Quincey tbh or else our Defense is getting worse. Lashoff should not be playing in the NHL. Get Kindl a reliable, smart and savvy veteran defensive partner and I bet Kindl looks a hell of a lot better. The guy has good offensive zone instincts but just a train wreck in his own zone. Lashoff is just a train wreck.

Bringing back Kindl and Quincey ? No way this off-season should be about making the team better not worse. If the Penguins is really looking into getting rid of Letang it might be worth a chance.

And no, I don't think this current team has another shot at the cup they have to fight tooth and nails to make the playoffs. Holland has to pull off some magic this off-season, so the team can become nasty, bigger and also way better on the defensive side of the game. The cap is going up, buying out Franzen or Weiss adds even more to it so it will be interesting.

This series is what it is a good but tough learning curve for the young players.

The way the world really works is we let Quincey walk then go after a top 4 (who we've been searching for for three years) and can't find any that we can afford through trade or overpaid, probably worse than, Quincey FA.

Quincey is big, young, physical and was HEALTHY ALL YEAR. Had a great second half of the season. The whole team was a mess the first half

Kindl is dreadful in his own zone but is young, big and has good offensive instincts. Also is under contract. Lashoff is not good at anything aside from being big. Nobody is going to be successful in the NHL with him as a partner. He is an AHL defensemen

I haven't been on the buyout bandwagon previously, but I'm fully aboard now. Jurco will be better than Franzen in about two years anyways.

I was never on board either, until now. It doesn't make sense to keep him. He doesn't have the drive to be a top six player, and he's nowhere near gritty or physical enough to play on the bottom six.

Monster unfortunTely is ripe for 7 to 8 goals against. Worried about tmmrrws game with him in net.

Bruins had they hit the net would of put game 4 away in the 2nd.

One game at a time, if we get 60 mins of intensity think we can bring it back to the Jo for 6

Glutton for punishment just re-watched game 4 and damn did we play fantastic first 30 minutes.

Then that's a problem, because we're in the same division as Boston. We need to get bigger if we want to get past them in the future.

This has been said 100 times, all about teams that we've beaten in playoff series in the past. The issue is we have a s***ty top 6, can't generate offense and have have a coach that either doesn't or no longer motivates our team to perform.

I know it makes to easy to just say "we need to get bigger" and that makes people feel better, but it's more complex than that.

The Flyers went to the Finals with Laviolette. They fired him because sometimes a change is needed to spark the team or bring in a new philosophy once the players tune out. You really think Berube is a better coach than him or that the Flyers feel that way? I doubt it. It was just time to make a change.

This is a great way to put it. It's just like pulling your goalie. It's usually about sending a message to your team as it is about actually putting in a different goalie.

I haven't been on the buyout bandwagon previously, but I'm fully aboard now. Jurco will be better than Franzen in about two years anyways.

I haven't been on it either. I've kept on giving him the benefit of the doubt, that maybe he'll regain that playoff form that got him this contract. But, it's going on what, 3 years now that he's been bad in the playoffs? Frankly I argue Holland's point that he adds a ton of value with his 30 goals in the regular season. That 30 goals is marginalized when he scores them over 10-15 games, and doesn't do much the rest of the regular season. I'm exaggerating a little, but basically he scores 2-3 goals in 10-15 games LOL.

I'd settle for a little less production but someone more consistent, who plays hard every game.

My take on the series is that I was ecstatic that I was going to get to see any red wings playoffs...but I was upset they blew the Carolina game. I feel like we'd be up 3-1 or at worst tied 2-2 with Pitt and it would have been more fun as we all hate Pitt.

I'm hoping that what the kids did in the regular season wasn't just becuase teams didn't know who they were, and once Boston studied them they figured them out and shut them down easily. I hope the kids are as promising as we are all hoping they will be.

I think this season has been invaluable for experience. I think the team played as well as it could yesterday and got worn down, and nervous. And I think that comes with inexperience, and we have go to through those growing pains. Those of us who were fans in the early 90s remember. We had a great team in 95 and 96 and still lost...growing pains. Different era, but still, the core on the team had never won a cup at the time.

I think Boston is good, but I think they are going to run into someone in these playoffs and get exposed. I think maybe the Habs might (battle of the goalies). I think it might take a western team though to expose them. If they run into SJ or Chicago in the finals I think they'll get beat. Chicago is quick and more skilled than us, and SJ right now is looking like the most complete western team to me.

I think Howard should get a ton of credit for winning game 1, jsut like he should get a ton of credit for losing game 2 especially, and be lumped into the rest of the team for losing game 3. I think we continue to see soft goals out of Howard in too many games. I've never been sold on him, but another year goes by, and another year not getting beyond the semifinals...maybe he'll make a believer out of me one day. I just wish he wasn't making so much money.

The team needs to get rid of all the players 37 yrs old and up, and just roll that money into more young players. Let's get young, faster, and a bigger.

This is a great way to put it. It's just like pulling your goalie. It's usually about sending a message to your team as it is about actually putting in a different goalie.

The only argument I'd have with that is we don't have a stanley cup team yet. If we did and the team seemed not to respond to Babs then i'd be for changing coaches, despite the fact that I love babcock. But at this point, I don't think it would send the kind of message you guys are talking about...and make a team win a cup when they're not ready to win a cup.

I know, hard to lose on a goal like that. But, strangely it was more tolerable to lose that way than it was to lose on a BS penalty, or a bad missed call (I know there were missed calls but not immediately before the goal as I recall), or someone blowing their coverage, etc.

It would have been worse had we been a favored team and lost like that.

Out of the 3 losses so far, game 4 is the easiest one to swallow in my opinion, even though we blew a 2-goal lead.

Watching the replay of that overtime goal over and over, all I can say is wow... What luck, bounces off 2 sticks then redirects off a leg and goes in, could they have gotten any more lucky? Short answer, no.

Well, we do give up a lot of shots from the point. And Boston had the puck most of the overtime. They earned their luck.

Watching the replay of that overtime goal over and over, all I can say is wow... What luck, bounces off 2 sticks then redirects off a leg and goes in, could they have gotten any more lucky? Short answer, no.

To be fair, they owned OT. If it hadn't been an insanely "lucky" couple of bouncees (I don't necessarily believe in puck luck), it would've been a straight-up skill play, probably. For me, there was definitely a feeling of inevitability, of impending doom.

this is one of our offences worst match ups. Small and skilled against Big teams. We can't use the middle of the ice against them. For our top line to really get going franzen has to clear space by going up the middle and driving the net but he won't. We have guys like Abdelkader and Helm that are willing but don't have the same size and strength of the bruins.

Holland needs to add a couple of big wingers throughout the line up. Tatar and Nyquist are great and all but you can't have too many small guys in the top 6. Nyquist would get us a lot probably more then tatar and i can see tatar being more effective against bigger opponents as he develops. tatar had his nose all around the net and was winning puck battles. Nyquist tries to go to the dirty areas but was way too weak on the puck. more often then not when the puck hit nyquists stick it was going back to a bruins player